“The Perfect Honeymoon!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
long island, ny
“The Perfect Honeymoon!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed from 3/24-4/1 at Secrets Maroma. We read reviews for this place for month and were sure that it would be great. We stayed in room 1455 and I woke up every morning with a view of the ocean while I was still in bed. The staff were great, and the food was great. Room service is quick and they give a lot of food, as we thought the portions would be small so we ordered doubles of everything. Big mistake even though we ate it all. :) The beach is beautiful and so clean. I love the fact that they have bar service on the beach constantly. The pool is great and if you don't want to be in the crowd while in the pool, go into the infinity pool very peaceful and great views.
We went to all the restaurants for dinner and enjoyed all of our dinners. Definately go to the World Cafe for dinner as well because the food is abundant and good. I really enjoyed the Oceana Restaurant which I loved the Surf and Turf entree. We arrived at the hotel quickly and had champagne and cool and nicely scented towels ready for guest. I had the best spa manicure and spa pedicure. The staff there are great and its very peaceful. My husband got the Water Lily wrap because he got burned and said that it worked for him.
The entertainment could be better, as I participated in the Hypnosis show and it did not work on anyone. But overall the entertainment staff are great and they try to make your stay fun. The hotel has guest with a large range of ages and nationalities. The hotel has an internet room that you can check emails or write home if you need which is included. They have shops that you can buy gifts at fairly good prices.
In the room, we didn't at first realize that when you have your balcony doors open that the air conditioner turns off, so we thought it was not working, but it turns back on once you close the glass doors. The hotel is great and we made a couple of friends. Definately a couples resort. Being there for 9 days we didn't see any large groups, and they had only one wedding which looked beautiful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,052)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ft. Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Very nice hotel and staff. the food at the resturants was good but all had similar menus. The staff was 5 star. The only complaint is that they do cater to business groups (most do) and we had a group of about 300 that took aver the hotel. I would still go back again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

It was our first trip anywhere without the kids,So we didnt want anything left to chance. We made a perfect choice. It was the perfect combination of quiet and exciting. The food was outstanding (if you like fine dining). We ate mostly at the World Cafe and Porto Fino. The room service menu could be expanded but otherwise it was very good, too. If you order room service make sure to order alot as the portions are not giant. I am a big eater so I ordered double of everything. One complaint I do have is the beer selection is not great. I like Sam Adams and several micro brews so drinking only Corona got old fast. Every single person that worked there did an extraordinary job except the concierge who disappeared on us an few times. We booked through Travel Impressions and they had everything set up for us when we arrived which was great. I like to tip so I tipped everyone that did anything for me although I never felt like I had to. We did the Chichen Itza trip which was long and very hot(too hot) but worth it. The American Express rep in the office next to the computer room was great and the Main Concierge desk was excellent. I recommend all the food with a special recommendation on the Scallops at the Oceanview. Also the Apple Juice was very good. The room we stayed in was perfect. I really cant say enough how nice it was to be treated so well and fed so well. It was a pleasure. The beach was perfect. The pool was perfect. The language barrier was one thing that I didnt like...not from a service standpoint but just conversational...I like to talk and I felt that sometimes they didnt understand what I was trying to say...they would just smile and nod a few times...The water sports guys were awesome. Everything we did off the resort was great..
One tip if you are going to buy souvenirs buy them at Chichen Itza. The local Mayans make some cool stuff and will work out a deal if you buy a few things. One recommendation I would make to the resort itself is to offer more salad choices. It seemed that vegatables were not as plentiful as I would have thought. One waiter that really stood out was Edew (sounds like adieu) if you go to one restaurant and find that you want something from another restaurant just ask...and invariably you will hear.Its a pleasure. Every request was met with its a pleasure. Except the Beer selection. For a first time trip, I am afraid nothing else will compete. It was expensive but well worth it. We did not do the spa stuff as we are not into that but I did hear people saying that it was great. This place was great for alone time with my wife but would also be great with friends. Ohh yeah, the mexcian Rock Band was very good...

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

My husband and I were looking for somewhere to spend our 10th Anniversary so we wanted the best of everything. We vacation in a five star resort every March and have stayed in some wonderful places, but with each resort you find some rate above over others in dining, entertainment, beaches, service, etc., but I have to say this rated high overall. We've been to the Riveria Maya a couple of times and love it. The people are so nice and the weather is usually good, but no beach compares to Maroma Beach. The beach is white powder, no shells or rocks, and you can walk for miles and close your eyes if you want. There isn't too much of a crowd since it isn't over developed yet, but I'm sure that is coming. The rooms were great too. Beautifully decorated, beds were so comfortable, bathrooms were top notched, nice balcony, flatscreen TV with lots of cable channels, private delivery room service. The people were always very friendly and fun and couldn't do enough to make you happy. Tips are included but this is the first time I really felt the service was exceptional and that you want to tip (and we did) because you don't feel you're being pushed or feel obligated so you won't be ignored, but because the service is so good. Isn't that the way it should be? They also have a disco if you like to dance, but we only made it one night. The weather was perfect everyday we were there. There is a lot to do, so you shouldn't get bored. We also liked the all adult atmosphere, mostly couples and groups. I would definitely go back to this beach area but stay at another resort, only just to try somewhere different, but this place was very nice. I would also maybe like to try Secrets Capri. Have a great vacation, you won't be disappointed.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

My wife and I wanted to celebrate our 20th anniversary by going on a second Honeymoon. We worked with our travel agent we have used for the last 3 big vacations we have been on.Our last trip we took to Mexico we stayed a very large mega resort in the Playa del Carmen area and really liked that part of Mexico, so it was not a hard decision to return to the Playa area.

This time we wanted to be in a smaller resort, so our agent suggested Secrets Maroma Beach. We were not familair with that particular resort, but had seen Maroma beach as voted as one of the best beaches on the travel channel. So we checked it out and booked it.

A couple of weeks before we went we started seeing some fairly bad review of this resort so we were trying to be as open minded as possible. We were not let down at all.

The resort was beautiful and very new. When we checked in they brought us a glass of sparkling wine and a cool towel to refresh ourselves. Since we had arrived at around 12:30 they told us that our room was not finished being clean. Check in time was at 3:00Pm but they said our room should be ready shortly and to go have a bite to eat and look around. We went and ate at the poolside resturant and had a couple of beers. We were pretty impressed as the food was good, fresh and the service was excellent.

After we finished, we walked back to the lobby and met the the concierge to book our spa treatments for the next day. As soon as we were done, they told us our room was ready.

We went to our building and were greated by another concierge for our buliding. Each building had a concierge to over see the house keeping and everthing else for that building. See took us up to our room . We had an ocean view in building 24 on the top floor. The rooms arebig, beautifull and very well appointed. The rooms had plenty of space for clothes storage, huge bathrooms with a large shower and nice tub with jets. The king bed was very comfortable and had nice linens on it. The rooms also had a nice sitting area both inside and outside on the balcony. We had a great house keeper and always had fresh towels and turn down service every night. We had left a note our first night requesting that the mini bar have more regular coke in it and everyday it was restocked. We had seen complaints about the lack of hot water and at certain times it could take a few minutes to get warm. What worked for us was in the morning or whenever we wanted to shower, was to turn on both sinks and the bath tub to full blast hot. It took about 3 to 5 minutes, but then the hot water would flow great in the shower. We never did with out hot water despite it taking a few minutes to get hot.

The pool was very nice and the beach was pristine. Most days we stayed by the pool as the chairs were comfortable and had nice umbrellas. The service was also very good. A note on the whole service thing. Yes, this in an all inclusive resort and drinks and food are paid for, but tipping is appreciated and it shows. I had seen some bad comments about the whole service thing and people expecting tips. From what I saw the servers were always ready to help and they definatly earned the tips that they got. We would usually tip the person we knew would be our server for the day upon our first drink. The rest of the day, we hardly had to ask them for a refill, as they were very attentive. We tipped them though out the day for the service. These folks work hard for very little pay so they deserve the few extra bucks that are given to them. Another thing we really liked was when they brought you drinks, they were served in nice looking plastic stemed barware. Not crummy plastic dixie cups you would get at a keg party or street bar. The mixed drinks like Pina Colatas had beautiful fresh fruit as garnish and beer was served in a proper pilsner glasses.

The beach was simply beautiful. It was not over crowded and the beach service was just as good as the pool service was. The water there was a liitle cool to swim in most days but the water was clear and the tides were usually not to rough to wade into. The sand was very easy to walk on and you could walk a good bit before you ran out of beach. Yes there was some trash on the beach where there is no resorts, but it was stuff that would wash up during high tide. The resorts on the beach all kept their frontage very clean.

The restaurants were all pretty good. We had a chance to eat at all of them as we were there for 7 days. The Asian and Italian were among our favorites. Over all the food was much better than expected. Especailly based on some of the reviews we had read prior to our trip. My wife and I are foodies. We enjoy gourmet dining going to 4 diamond & michelin star restaurants so we know what good food can be. None of the restaurants here would fall into this catagory, but we did not expect them to. Still the food was much better than the previous resort we stayed at which its food was basically more like institutional food, than restaurant food. You can tell they tried to make their dishes interesting and gourmet. Do not expect to go to an Italian restaurant in Mexican resort and get your typical meal you would find at your favorite bistro or even chain restaurant. We ate breakfast everyday at the buffet and it was excellent. You had a lot of choices and it was all very good.

The night life was pretty fun and they always had something going on. The bar was very generious with the pours and amount of liquior in their dirinks. We went to a few of the shows and they were fun, but did not take up your entire evening. I could only complain about one aspect of the night life and this is just a small thing. I am a cigar affcionado and they had a cigar bar next to the regular bar, but it was a waste of space as there was no one there to tend the bar so no one was using it. So if you wanted to have a nice cigar you pretty much did it out side and it could be a problem if it was windy. Also, if you did not bring your own cigars, they had a ciger store in the lobby. It had a pretty good selection of cuban cigars, but they very over priced. So bring your own. We did enjoy hanging out and meeting other folks at night.

Over all our trip and stay at Secrets Maroma Beach was wonderful. The only thing we wish had been different were a couple of things.

One was the pool and temperature. A couple days we were there, it was over cast and windy, it would of been nicer had the pool been a litte warmer. Another thing that has been mentioned in previous post is the hot tubs. After a day in the sun, we enjoy relaxing in hot tubs at night. The hot tubs are not hot, nor even warm which was a little disappointing.

The last thing is the spa. Secrets had a very nice spa and we enjoyed the treatments we had and they did not seem over priced. Both of us got massages and it was very relaxing. The spa was nicely appointed and had many great features, but things like a sauna and steam room were only available of you were getting treatments at that time. At the last resort/spa we stayed at the last time were in Playa, had a regular sauna and steam facility apart from the spa facility, that could be used at your leisure along with an indoor hot tub.

In closing, I would return to the Secrtets Maroma Beach Resort without any hesitation. We hope to be able to go back in the future. It is a beautiful place and I can't wait to see it in a few years when all the new palnts have gotten bigger and lush. It was a spectacular vacation and a very romantic place to spend with my wife for our second honeymoon.

Thank you to the great staff for making it such a nice place.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We stayed at Secrets Maroma from 3/19/09 to 3/23/09 for a much needed long weekend getaway from the kids. We are picky travelers and probably tend to complain a little much. We are also bargain hunters and like to get the most for our buck. We stayed at Sandals Ochos Rios in Jamaica a few years ago and were extremely disappointed to say the least. We decided on Secrets Maroma on the advice of our travel agent as she stated that it was great. We booked a swim-out room and requested to be near the ocean. The price was more than we were hoping to spend (especially for a four night trip), however; we decided to splurge. After we booked we located tripadvisor and were new to the travel reviews. We read mostly positive reviews about Secrets Maroma however, the negative reviews made us a little nervous. We read that the resort was having plumbing problems and the pools (especially swim-out pools) were uncomfortably cold. We arrived on a shared transfer from the airport and felt as if we were the envy of the other passengers. The entrance is a little questionable but once we reach the Secrets gate, we knew we made the right choice. The resort was elegant and when our driver was retrieving our luggage, he gave us the thumbs up. We were placed in building 16 upon check-in and questioned the temperature of the swim-out pools as we were considering attempting to change to an ocean view. We were advised that the temperature was fine, especially on the north side of the resort, which gets more sun. We went with it and were not disappointed. We usually book an ocean front/view room and wanted to try something different. The temperature of the swim-out pool was a little cool but refreshing, not uncomfortable. It was something new and a nice change. The rooms were beautiful. The only thing that we would change is the restrooms (which we read reviews about). There is only a swinging glass door separating the toilet/shower from the remaining room and there is not much privacy. However, we got over it quickly. The beach in front of the resort was perfect and the pools were also great with ample comfortable lounging. I went for a jog on the beach to the south and it quickly deteriorates (trash/foul odor). The service was excellent and the restaurants were good, but not the five star food that one might expect. We only experienced a wait one night due to a short rain shower closing outdoor seating. We did not notice any groups/conventions if they were even there. The drinks were the best we have experienced at an all-inclusive. We have stayed with Riu and Sandals and Secrets Maroma is by far the best. In our opinion, Secrets Maroma is not much of a bargain, but you definitely get what you pay for and were happy with our choice. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact us as we contacted other review writers during our research.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We had an excellent stay at Secrets Maroma. The drive into the resort is not pretty but the resort is fantastic. Its small and everything is a quick walk. The spa area is fantastic and not very busy. The restaurants were good and not having to make reservations was a nice change. The food overall was good and the French and Italian restaurants were very good. We'll visit again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!