“luxury holiday in a beautiful setting, amazing staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
Leicester, United Kingdom
“luxury holiday in a beautiful setting, amazing staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful 10 day all inclusive holiday at Secrets Maroma Beach, we opted for the tropical view room, ie; not the sea view or partial sea view! Which I believe is one of the cheapest rooms. We were glad we did as we didn't sit out once to enjoy the view- being too hot on the balcony, we much preferred the cool of the air conditioned room after a long hard day by the pool/on the beach. So much has already been said about this resort on TA so I will try not to repeat the same info- but give our opinions on the good and not so good….
The good… the staff are amazing, they work so hard. I really hope they are paid fairly. They are the resorts number one asset in our opinion. The beds are very comfy, air con was perfect, everywhere is spotlessly clean, the gardens are kept beautifully, there was always room at the beach or poolside to lounge and the loungers themselves were very comfy. A fantastically wide range of food and drink was available 24/7 all of good standard and beautifully presented. Always plenty of fresh towels both in your room and by the poolside for you to use. No need to take your own beach towels, saves a little weight in your case! The pool water and sea are perfect temperatures, no wincing when you get in here! It’s heavenly! And the sand is like white talc, just gorgeous- and it is literally a few steps away from the resort. The free Wi-Fi was a real bonus, although you are unlikely to pick it up once you step onto the beach. Neither of us were ill, which is unusual! One of us normally gets an upset tummy to some extent or another. We were very impressed with the hygiene/cleanliness, and assumed the copious amounts of ice we consumed in every drink must have been made from bottled water. I never once worried about ice, salad, raw fish etc which with some resorts are a real no no!
The not so good…. There is a touch of “18-30” about the resort at times, bellowing loud mouth drunk guests around the poolside, pool volleyball, aqua aerobics and poolside games going on simultaneous, foam parties on the beach! Not really what we had hoped for, luckily there is a bit of peace on the beach or there is always your head phones and ipod! The American guests in particular seemed to have no voice control level buttons and insisted on shouting to their friends even though they were less than a metre away from them. None of this is the resorts fault I guess, but important ( I think) for future guests to know. Unfortunately some of these louder guests had got swim up rooms on the ground floor and wanted to party in them (Shouting and screaming) until late. This was obviously quite annoying when you were trying to get to sleep. I’m glad we were on the third floor and a little bit removed from it. May be the resort could have an 11pm limit on using the pools so as to avoid this?
Even though we took insect repellent and used it, we still got quite a few bites on our ankles and legs, so please don’t forget to spray yourself well. On the first day I was told that there were about 150 drinks available, but yet I could never get a thorough list of them. We found a beach bar cocktail menu and a lobby bar cocktail menu, apart from that you just had to know what you wanted. We saw loads of people with drinks which we didn't recognise from the menus. I really wish the Secrets App or their website had a full list of everything we could have or try.
My biggest annoyance was the sales pressure. Quite a few times we were approached about going to the spa, I hate that! If I want to go to the spa I will go, I don’t want pressurising on my holidays. I know it’s been mentioned before on trip advisor, and we are very grateful to those that have- so we were prepared for the “would you like to meet me for a coffee so I can give you $400 vouchers for the spa” scam! Basically it is a time share thing. The annoyance again is that I’m on my holiday, I don’t want to meet anyone, and be sold to! Especially after a ten hour flight, they hit you with this the minute you are checked in before they let you go to your room. Not what I expect from a 5 star resort! I was so tired, hot, sticky, I just wanted to go to my room and they keep you there trying to persuade you to meet them. Not a good start!!
Having been advised when we booked & in all of the hotels literature about the dress code in the evening, my husband took trousers rather than shorts for the evening meals. We were pretty surprised to notice so many male guests blatantly flouting the dress code and wearing whatever they wanted, turning up to dinner in shorts and flip flops. If you are not going to stick by the dress code then it seems pointless having one.
Having said all that it sounds like we didn't have a good time and we really did! It is a beautiful and amazing place, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and completely relaxed. Our thanks again to the superb, friendly and very hard working staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review, we are very happy you've enjoyed your stay! On your next vacation, be sure to send us a quick email and we will put notes on the system you do not wish to be invited to the sales presentation from UVC.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,052)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful honeymoon experience for my wife and me. The resort is gorgeous. The beach is beautiful. The food was great. The entertainment was excellent. The service by all staff members was truly exceptional.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the five star rating review! Please let us know when you are ready to come back home!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

If there are some words to explain what is the secret of Secrets Maroma Beach I will tell you :
- wonderful scenery
- friendly employees
- exquisite food
- fantastic Spa
- relaxing place
Do you want to know more? So go there and you will not be disappointed .
For my husband and I was the 3rd time and we have no regrets, just saying to ourselves : when will be the next time?
Totally body, mind and spirit rejuvenate

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear guest,

Your review was very original and wonderful! Thank you for choosing us again, and please , let us know when you are ready to come back home.

Mount Airy, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My Wife and I recently returned home to Mt. Airy, MD after a fab stay at Secrets Maroma Beach. We were there from July 9th – 16th 2014
This was our 7th trip to MX and have also been to several other islands to include St. Kitts, Jamaica (2X), Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico, Hawaii (2X) and the Bahamas.
The Q. Roo Rivera Maya AI resorts we have visited are:
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
Bahia Principe Tulum Hotel
Palladium (2X)
Barcelo Maya

The very, very good at Secrets Maroma Beach:
The room had an indoor Jacuzzi as well as one on the porch. We requested and stayed on the top floor (4th). Building 16, Room 1642
Great view of the ocean and pool area.
No reserving palapas necessary in the early AM. If there was not any personal items at a palapa, it was yours and a staff member would help set you up with new towels if you wish. Ditto pool umbrellas. No
problem finding shade.
No towel cards to deal with, towels were always available. No limits.
No bracelet.
Infinity pool at the end of the day.
No reservations needed for ala carte restaurants.
An elevator in each building. A big deal for my Wife who knees are a problem.
Coffee maker in each room. At some resorts you have to walk quite a ways for morning joe X2.
The staff of this resort; warm and friendly, all of them.
Service level is higher at Maroma than any resort I’ve ever visited.
Beach is pristine. There are zero rocks in the water.
We saw ~7-8 weddings. Newlyweds everywhere. Fun to watch them enjoy the start of their lives together and chat with a few.
Pool depth was just right.
Food overall was very good. I am easy to please though and eat to live vs. living to eat.
US style bed mattresses. Many other resorts use a comparatively thinner mattress that is firm X10.
The size of the resort was perfect. We have stayed at some resorts where I literally walked 2-3 miles per day.
Only ~35-40 mins. from airport.
Very nice exercise facility. Free weights, mats, various focus machines, cardio equipment, treadmills, etc...
Spa was very nice. Staff was excellent.
Well stocked fridge in room. Cold water, beer, rum, tequila and Jack D. too.
A safe in the room.
Beautiful grounds and upkeep.
Room service, simply awesome. We only did it once, we should have repeated!

Some staff honorable mentions:
Lordes(sp) (aka LuLu) in the Spa gave me 2 wonderful treatments.
Antonio in the World Café was goofing around with me on several mornings. Great guy!
Oscar, the tennis Pro. Less talking and more hitting seems to be his moto. Just what I wanted. I wish his sick 92 year old Grandfather well.

The not as very, very good but not show stoppers:
We were in the preferred club and they did not have Macallan scotch, Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark, bummer.
Snorkeling off the beach not as good as some other resorts. I didn’t even bother and had fins and mask with me.
Don’t expect to eat a good steak anywhere in MX from my experience. I have given up hope.
The shutters let more light in the AM then I would have hoped for but I was asleep by 10-11 each evening.

Advice:
Book this resort. I doubt you will be disappointed. The excellent reviews and photos tell the story. We will likely return.
Consider what you want and don’t want in a resort. We didn’t want a swim out. Maybe a few years ago but not at this point.
Not sure the preferred club is worth the extra cost. Although I did go to the Spa and use their saunas every day without a charge.
No tipping is necessary but I can imagine that these hard working people are not making a ton of money. I spread a few dollars about.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review, I'm sure all the items specified will be very helpful to other guests!

Please let us know when you are ready to come back.

Neosho, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Don't pass this up- most dreamy romantic 7 days we could have had for our honeymoon- we loved it! We paid extra for a swim up- worth every penny!!! Food, rooms, entertainment we're excellent- absolutely no complaints! Mosquitos were bad at night- eat inside at
al a carte restaurants! :) That was something they tried to fight and it's simply not their fault so still a perfect vacation in my books! We've been to 3 different resorts since then- we're always saying how much BETTER Secrets Maroma was! In fact, I'm dumbfounded that anyone can complain about this place- it was heaven! I think my only tips are yes, upgrade to a swim up (they did try to sell us timeshare at check in on 1st day but it was VERY low key, no pressure at all) because it's worth every penny! Jacuzzi, personal concierge (8 am-5pm), swim up pool, SPA coupons, 24 hour room service, tailored mini-bar- it was really a great package and the pool was so convenient, especially when you've been drinking. No walk back from pool or trying to get dried off to walk back- your steps away from your bed! GO- you won't regret it!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for recommending our resort and for the five stars rating!

Hope to see you back soon.

Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is the best trip we've ever been on. Everybody was friendly and we couldn't have asked for anything better..The entertainment staff was great. Manuel on the beach was a very hard worker to make sure we were happy.

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy you were satisfied with our staff and hope you can come back to our resort a second time.

Evans, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've been remiss in writing this review...Almost a year, but just remembered I hadn't written about this awesome place yet. My wife and I go to Mexico at least once a year, sometimes twice and of the more than two dozen places we've stayed this is the numero uno so far. We're waiting for something to knock it off the top of the mountain. That being said, it's expensive and we normally can't afford to come here. All that aside, this place is beyond awesome! The service and food are top-NOTCH and the location brilliant. We especially loved the pool side service and swim out pool. If you're looking to be pampered and taken care of, this is a great place to start. There are other great places, especially in Riviera Maya, but so far this place is King. Perhaps we'll try again during hurricane season...that's when it gets affordable for us. But, you get what you pay for...

Best steak I've had at ANY resort...not just all-inclusives.

Room Tip: If necessary, pay an extra few bucks for closest spot to beach...The resort isn't large and it...