“Need to make serious changes” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
york pa
“Need to make serious changes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

My latest trip to Riviera Maya was a 3 day get-a-way for myself and my brother....We left the spouses at home. I have been to Riviera Maya many times, stayed at Royal Hideaway, Excellence, Dreams Tulum (now closed) , Blue Parrot , Secrets Capri and Riu Palace. I was very curious about Secrets Maroma. What most of the other reviewers said was true, horrible mosquito problem, mediocre food. Fantastic beach, personnel incredibly friendly,entertainment moderate. What may not have been mentioned is that the hotel was just too Americanized!! They tried to gear everything to the US traveler and they just went overboard. Music was mostly truly elevator music, little salsa or latin. Felt like you were in the hospital at one flew over the cuckoos nest. Fajitas and tacos are better at Taco Bell. If you ask the server, they will bring jabaneros, sour cream and other hot sause to "spice things up". Food was okay, just nothing special. My second complaint was that things in the room just didn't quite work correctly. Toilet paper roll was set too wide and evertime you pulled the paper the entire unit would fly across the floor, which was always wet because the shower floor was angled the wrong way and instead of water running down the drain, it collected (deeply) under the vanity with no hope of drainage. The ceiling fan never worked. Appeared that the switch had been worked on many times without success. There were light switches that didn't work and switiches that had no apparent purpose. Lights on the porch had no switches at all...Asked the room service person and he said the light switch for our porch was located in the room next to ours, as was the secret room service door (we had none). It seems that this resort has potential to be a very nice resort. But for such a new resort, they should take more care in fixing the little things that can be very annoying. But I'll say it again, the beach is awesome and hotel personnel great. Would I go back to that resort? probably not. For the $$$ there are much better all-inclusives in the area. One more thing, Hot water was only in your imagination. Had this beautiful huge hot tub in room and even bigger tub on deck, but alas, only ice cold water for most of the time we were there.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — Various items that were brokien in the room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,262)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

My husband and I are in our mid 20s and have been going to a Secrets resort every year since 2004. Past experiences with this chain have been nothing but the best! We 1st went to the Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana and have been to Capri twice. Until this trip we could not imagine going to any other all inclusive.

CHECK IN- fast and easy, upgraded from a partial ocean view room to an ocean view. We stayed 7 days.

FOOD- we liked all the restaurants except the Oceana was horrible but other guests we talked to all agreed it was their least favorite too. Our favorite places were the Himitsu and the Italian.

ROOM- beautifully decorated, not much bathroom privacy, room service plates stayed in the little cubbie for days unless we called them to pick up, we were there for 3 days before our room was cleaned and we had to make a lot of phone calls to get that done, never had nightly turn down service or had our minibar fridge restocked. The AIR CONDITONER was our biggest problem with the room. It never got colder than 75 deg no matter how low you set it on, they sent maintenance men 4 different times but it was never fixed. My husband talked to our concierge, the front desk managers, we kept getting the run around telling us it would be fixed that afternoon, and then we'd return to a still hot, muggy room. Finally, on the 5th day Raphael, the rooms manager spoke with us. At first he offered us a free massage but after hot, sleepless nights and being jerked around by everyone that didn't seem to make things better, so he gave us 2 free nights on a return visit (although we doubt we want to return, even for free) and moved us to another room.

SPA- gorgeous, the massages were relaxing....however, we were outside in the spa hot tub and guess what floated by? POOP, yes poop!! I cannot believe that an adult would do this, it's not like there were kids around. Needless to say that kind of ruined our image of the spa. We did report it and they seemed very apologetic and they said it would be taken care of.

BEACH/POOL- as everyone else has said, if you don't get out there and save a chair by the pool at the crack of dawn, you'll be sitting on the beach all day. The beach was pretty, not one of "the world's best" in our opinion, but the water was nice and the sand was white and soft. The entire time we were there we had an issue with towels being available. Every time we went to grab them they were out and we were told to wait and return in 10min.

DRINKS- we are big clear tequila drinkers. Apparently they have cut back on their selections. In the past they have had clear Don Julio, Patron, etc... This time, the only clear tequila available offered is 1800. If you want premium liquor in your drinks you must ask for it, otherwise you get the cheap stuff. Good service at all of the bars except in the evening the lobby bar gets pretty packed and it may take awhile. Samuel, a lobby bartender and also in the Preferred club is awesome!! He used to be at Capri and remembered us from our visits there.

GROUNDS- still growing but you can tell it will be very nice once it has all grown in. The mosquitoes’ are a problem. They provide an organic bug spray in the room but we brought our own with DEET and still got bit after applying. Apparently the resort is on a huge swamp so I really doubt the mosquito problem will ever be under control.

TIPS- not expected but certainly appreciated. Most of the servers work really hard to give you fast and pleasant service. Did you know that the minimum wage in Mexico is 10$....a day!

IN CONCLUSION- I know I probably sound like a huge complainer, but after all of the exceptional, problem free vacations we have had in the past to Secrets, we were sorely disappointed! Hopefully as they are open longer they can work out all the kinks. When we do another all inclusive next year, we will, for the 1st time, probably go with a different chain.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed at the Secrets Maroma Beach Resort for six night and seven days. The rooms were nice but some issues. We actually stayed in the preferred club area, no advantage to pay any extra for this area. They don't follow up with you to check to see what you need, the conceige was never at his station by the buildings, made a few request for things like bug spray, never came. The restaurants are a whole nother story. We made it to all the restaurants, the italian one was horrible, worse then the olive garden if you reheated their food. The bugs are extremely bad, you will need lots of bug spray, they are out at dusk and in the morning. When we arrived they didn't have our room we booked, they said they were having some air conditioning issues, I don't think the rooms were even finished. Be careful in the spa with your valuables. I wouldn't rate this hotel higher then a 3 star at the most, not even close to a four star resort. The one nice comment I have about this resort is that the beach is beautiful. I would suggest staying down the beach at the Maroma Beach and Spa Resort, looks much nicer and I'm sure the service is better. Very disappointed. We have been all over the world and stayed at four and five star resorts. This one doesn't come close.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — food and service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

Our stay was Oct 10-15. Until reading a recent review, I've hesitated writing as maybe our experience was isolated & I didn't want to take away from the excellent working staff's preformance with a negative.
I'd like to mention just a few, although all were exceptional: Anita, Victor, Sergio, Fabiola, Cindy, Armando, Daniel & David.
Food was hit & miss. Excellent veal chop at Bordeaux & filet not edible. Grouper dried out at Seaside & flank steak great. Room service is anyone's guess? What we got, all though not what ordered was very good, except last day when we got nothing.
The rooms are beautiful & comfy. Hotel was not a full capacity. Pools are small & always felt crowded. Lots of wasted space. Not enough loungers/floaties even if you felt compelled to play the reserving game. Beach is beautiful. More details would make it exceptional. Loungers are cheap & crowded--not 5 star. Beach service was great.
Real problems are management/front desk. We arrived early at 9:30am. We were prepared for the pool & expecting a wait for room. Check-in easy as only another couple there who were taken to their room. I just assumed they had a different type. Were told to enjoy pool & lunch and that the concierge would contact us when room became available. At 1:00pm after talking with several guests who arrived an hour after we did & taken to their rooms--same as ours--I checked once again with pool concierge and made a trip to front desk. My problems were very obviously brushed off & ignored.
At 3:30 I made another trip to front desk, explaining that I had talked with many others who were given rooms. They were very cold & unconcerned. By this time, I'd discovered the real problem. The hotel had a group of invited travel agents. We were being pushed to the back to make sure they had enough rooms. Giving up, I decided to see if or when we would be given a room.
A pool concierge presented our room keys at 6:30pm. As she is not "allowed to leave the pool area", she pointed out our building. Micheala, building 14 concierge, saw us looking for room & was very helpful for entire stay.
Check-out: Management's last insult. I was asked by Caroline as to my stay. When I replied "Okay", the reaction was obvious. She was cold, unconcerned and didn't acknowledge. Never said even a thank-you for staying. Basically just handed my reciepts & walked away.
We'll be returning to Excellence, ElDorado or Palace resorts in the future.

• Liked — beach, service staff
  • Disliked — reception/management, inconsistant food
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chicago,illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

My Husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon hoping for
the best after reading reviews here and being a newer hotel.
The hotel itself if pretty,clean and modern,the staff is friendly and the food is pretty good.It's also close the airport on a really amazing beach and you don't ever have to leave unless you want to do an excursion. On our second or third day there, we headed out to the main building and i wanted to charge my ipod on the alarm clock since the battery was dead. As we headed out,i put the "do not disturb" light on which usually means do not clean the room or come in right?
Well we came back about 25 mins later and the bed was made with stupid towel art on it and my ipod was gone!!! I was so upset,,first for housekeeping coming in the room when they shouldn't have and then we got the run around from management. They did their "investigating" and that got no where and then they even tried to say i possibly lost it myself!!
Then i spoke with SERGIO ARISTI who is reception management and he came off as being sincere and said they would credit my card for $200. I don't know why they couldnt just give me a check because he lied and i never got credit. I even faxed Sergio twice and wrote him 4 emails regarding this and it wasnt' until weeks later and a threat to writing a review here on trip advisor that i got any response. He wrote saying they could not credit my card but if i wanted to give them my bank account information they would make a deposit. REALLY?!!? Okay,what crazy person is going to give a stranger in foreign country their personal bank information? No one i know!
I still haven't heard anything back or receieved any compensation even though they said they would take care of it. It's really sad when you go on vacation like a honeymoon, you put your trust and money into their hotel and things like this happen. Also as honeymooners,you're supposed to get little upgrades and treats which we didn't!! We had to ask for the welcome basket and we never got the cold towel and champange upon arrival. It might be a great hotel if their housekeeping and staff didn't go in your room when they weren't supposed to and steal your personal things!!

• Liked — Lots of food choices and the food was great too! the beach was great and the hotel is very modern and clean.
  • Disliked — room service stole my ipod and i got the run around from management.
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waterford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

My husband and I went to Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon from 10/25/08-11/1/08. We booked through Liberty travel and upgraded our transfer to/from the airport to a private car from Olympus tours (they were great). This was our first trip to Mexico or an all-inclusive.

The road in isn't that bad...it's great to see land conservation in action.

When we arrived at the hotel, there was quite a line for check-in so someone asked us if we minded waiting for a few minutes. We had to book our return airport transfer so we took care of that then. We were "double-upgraded" to a swim-out in building 12. I had originally wanted something on a higher floor, but the swim-out was fine.

The room was great. I'm normally a privacy person, but the curtain between the tub and the bedroom didn't bother me at all. The safe was big enough to hold my purse and all of our travel documents.

We had the honeymoon banner, sparkling wine, and the fruit plate upon arrival, which was a nice touch.

We didn't use the swim-out that often and couldn't use it at night because of the mosquitos, but it was nice to have it available.
The housekeeping/turn-down was great and we had the bubble bath with rose petals one evening upon our return from dinner.

The beach was great. I'm used to the beaches on Prince Edward Island in Canada -- red sand and colder water, so it was great to experience white sand and bath-warm water. The waiters/waitresses on the beach were very nice and attentive.

We tended to hang out by the infinity pool more than the heated pool as inebriated complaining isn't really how we like to relax. The entertainment staff didn't really bother us because they could tell we were there to just relax.

The breakfast buffet was excellent...we liked it so much that we never ordered room service or went to one of the restaurants for breakfast. Himitsu was our favorite restaurant for dinner, and I usually hate Japanese. We had a tepanyaki table twice, ate at the sushi bar once (well my husband ate at the sushi bar, and I watched), and had a regular table once. The service at all of the restaurants was great and we never had to wait for a table (unless we booked a tepanyaki table).

We got $100 in spa coupons when we checked in so I booked facials for my husband and myself...this was his first one. Aesthetically, the spa is gorgeous and my husband thoroughly enjoyed the hydrotherapy circuit prior to his facial and then proceeded to sleep through the facial, which is testament to how much he enjoyed it.

The evening entertainment was ok. The back-up band for the Idol show was fantastic and made it worth sitting through drunk, oops, I forgot the words, where's my paper, singing. We were there for Halloween and they put on a masquerade show which was amazing for a one night only thing. After the masquerade show, the Idol back-up band was in the night club and that was the only time we went to the club.

Our only snag was that we had booked a fishing excursion through Aquaworld and to make a long story short, 3 of the 5 passengers on board were sick the entire time because the waves were so rough. My husband and I have been on boats our entire lives and have never been sea-sick. We were both unable to peel ourselves away from our designated "sick" locations on the boat to fish at all. So that was a waste of $200, but not the hotel's fault.

Even though we learned that the all-inclusive clientele aren't really our type of people, we had a great time and hope that we can come back to the area and the hotel in the future.

Some suggestions:
-- Be nice to the entertainment staff. They work insane hours and still manage to make sure that everyone has a good time.

--Bring conditioner, or spend $13 on it in the gift shop.

--We brought our own bug spray and didn't try the hotel's, but make sure you have it on hand.

--Don't waste the entire time complaining that your drinks didn't get to you fast enough, etc. You're on vacation, relax.

--If there's anything you especially want in your mini-fridge, just leave a note in the morning. We came back to a lovely supply of Coke.

--There is no ATM, so if you're a tipper (and everyone there deserves it), make sure to bring enough cash. We had to get cash out at the front desk and they charge you 10%.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

Well we definitely agree with the good things . . .
the beach was beautiful, warm towels plentiful, food was generous, bar fabulous, (I've never tasted so many delicious drinks!!) and above all . . . the service was wonderful!

The road and the mosquitos are an issue, as is reception and management. They promise you a rose garden and give you a few thorns before you are satisfied. After promising us an upgrade, which by the way we were entitled to all along, we finally got to stay in an oceanview room the last 2 nights. And it was gorgeous! Not very nice treatment for honeymooners. However, the adorable, sweet coincerge, Makelia, building 24,comforted us daily and made it worthwile.( as did Rosy when we moved to her bldg. 26.) Great service. It was my birthday, and when we returned to the room after spending the day at the beach, there were ballooons, cake, champagne, and love birds (shaped in towels). How fabulous!

I was disappointed with the quality of the spa personnel. The attendants in the ladies locker room did not speak English and my chocolate treatment for $150 was not good at all. There was no hot water in the shower, so I had to rinse off the product with COLD water. Freezing! The lady who gave me the treatment was not of high caliber at all. The water was cold in the jacuzzi, etc.
They definitely need to kick it up a notch in the spa, which is just beautiful, if run smoothly.

The entertainment crew is a bit much for those of us who wish to relax and listen to soothing music. I had to beg for quiet often times when they were blasting classic rock at poolside. Suggestion: keep the tumult separate if possible from the guests requesting peace.

We would return, but only by invitation when they get the kinks out.
Eric is trying very hard to do that . . . I think.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — [--]
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!