“Paradise in Mexico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Paradise in Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Wonderful experience, service second to none, rooms are magnificent and food of a very high standard, lots of restaurant to choose from and many bars.
Evening entertainment of a high standard and it felt like a home from home.
The beach is one of best in the world and you are made to feel special from the minute you arrive to when you leave.
The only negative I have is the constant pestering to sell you membership of the privilege club! which isn't cheap !

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We look forward seeing you back real soon.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,262)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We just returned home from a 5 day trip to Secrets. It was booked through apple vacations. It took 30 minutes from the airport to arrive at the hotel. We walked up to drinks and a cool towel. It hotel is beautiful. I had arranged for a small 4 inch birthday cake for my best friend. ($56) before we arrive through email with the hotel. I spoke to Hector at check in and arranged that the cake would be ready at dinner. Like I had requested a week prior. He said it was in her room. I told him I wanted it at dinner. He said he would collect it and for me to just let the restaurant know when we sat down. The rooms were amazing we booked a swim out room but we were under the impression that it was a lazy river type swim out which it was not. It was only about 10 rooms that lead no where. So that kind of sucked. The first night we ate at the Mexican restaurant (not very good at all) so I told the lady up front to deliver the cake after we finished eating. No one had a clue about the cake and it ended up not being a surprise after all. It took 20 minutes to find the cake. Oh well.... drink were great and flowing. The beach was unbelievable. So beautiful and crystal clear water. We did book a snorkeling trip from the hotel. We were the other four on the trip. It was great we got one on one tour of the reefs. We did visit the spa on the last day. The best massage I've had in a long time. Prefect ending to a great trip. All the staff were great and really got all the guest involved in games and different things they had going on. All the pool bar staff were awesome!! The knew our name after the first day. Two of them named Carlos made our trip!! Making us different kinds of shots to try. One thing I want to say and I didn't see a lot if this going on. Please tip the staff. I understand it's all inclusive but it won't hurt you to tip a dollar for drinks. These girls and guys work hard 12 hour shifts and done get to see there families very often.
We will definitely be back!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We look forward having you back real soon.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This place is awesome. Food, staff, grounds, rooms. We had the very rare opportunity to escape sans kids and the first place we thought of was Secrets Maroma. This is our 3rd time staying here, 6th trip to Playa. Playa is one of my favorite getaways and can't wait to return.

My only complaint is that I feel like the breakfast service was hit or miss...I hated to have to flag down a waiter for a water but really, is this that big of a deal? Not really....

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and for choosing us one more time! We hope to see you yet again next year!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed 25th March - 5th April 14 at Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon. After much consideration and review reading, we chose this hotel and we could not have chosen better. Sorry for a long review, but we can’t praise it enough.

We booked the preferred club ocean view room which was great as we liked to sit on the balcony looking at the ocean and drink from the mini bar (all of which was refilled daily and free), but we didn’t use the preferred club at all apart from at check in and out as it was on the other side of the resort (we were in block 16) and we felt that it offered little that we couldn’t get elsewhere. The view from the room was worth the money for a romantic holiday– I would have hated to have been at the back of the resort, but perhaps not if you’re not on a romantic holiday (with friends etc.).

Our concierge Antonio was fantastic and helped us so much with tour and resort information, even personally bringing our requested coffee every day. He’s such a friendly man and seems genuinely interested in his guests and helping out. Nothing is too much trouble, I'm just so sorry that we forgot to leave him a tip!

Our room was amazing – well decorated, well-furnished and the bed was so comfortable. I have a bad back, but I barely felt a thing whilst I was there. I loved the large inside Jacuzzi bath and double sinks. The toiletries were well stocked and of good quality. The shower was powerful and had a good temperature range.

Other people have mentioned the lack of privacy in the toilet and I can understand this. We didn’t find it a problem, but if you are particularly sensitive about toilet issues it may cause a problem! Basically, the toilet and shower are in two separate units off the main bathroom. The only problem is that the toilet door is an opaque glass door with a large hole as a handle which doesn’t provide a lot of privacy, especially as you can see straight through on to the bed from the loo (so presumably you can see back too!).

I’m not sure why but our package included a lot of goodies for free – sparkling wine on arrival, a massage and facial for both my husband and I, a romantic dinner on the beach (which was delicious), breakfast in bed and unlimited access to the hydrotherapy circuit at the spa. All made the holiday and we were treated exceptionally well by all the staff helping us.

All staff were excellent, but Jordan and the Ferminator in the excellente! Entertainment team were exceptional, they remembered our names, engaged everyone and were always smiling and enthusiastic, despite what must be very long days for them - they never complained or showed anything but happiness.

The day time programmes were full and varied and pool volleyball was always well attended. The evening entertainment was good as long as you don’t expect a Vegas show every night. It is what it is! The Beatles show was good as was the rock show. The in house band ‘Quarzo’ were excellent. This being an adults only resort, it had a show called ‘affair’. I did not really want to go to this as the description made it sound like a swingers party but it was actually a good show with plenty of acrobatics. Unfortunately, it also had two ‘ladies’ who were topless, talentless and pointless, but they weren’t there much so it was bearable.

I LOVED the pool side entertainment on the Tuesday night with the fire, light and water displays – excellent!

Unfortunately, they have large private parties that guests cannot attend, simply mentioning this in the daily programme would avoid confusion.

The larger pool was our favourite because it was quieter and more relaxing looking at the ocean, but the other was good for more active days (and the swim up bar). Saying this, it wasn't really noisy apart from the last Friday where it was invaded by new weekend guests. Generally, it was very relaxing.

The spa was amazingly relaxing – we had a free couples facial and it was great. The hydrotherapy circuits are relaxing too. The spa prices are very high, but that’s to be expected. I don’t think that I would have gone if it wasn’t free of charge.

There are lots of choices to eat. For breakfast we usually ate at the World Cafe buffet for the sheer amount of choice on offer, but the Oceana restaurant also did menu food which was great.
For lunch we firstly made the mistake of having a buffet or a burger from the Barefoot grill which were gorgeous, but it was a mistake because we were so full we couldn’t eat dinner!

We ate in the Portofino restaurant (Italian), the food was great, but it is VERY dark in there, it made me sleepy – perhaps go when your body has caught up with the time difference! Bordeaux (French) was beautiful and I mean, BEAUTIFUL! The Japanese restaurant needs booking if you want a Teppanayaki seat but it’s worth the little effort – the chef is so skilled and funny and the food is delightful. Be warned though, it is VERY hot in there so dress lightly.
The cocktails in the swim up bar are delicious, although made with cheaper spirits, but they have all the top shelf stuff for other drinks. The lobby bar drinks are amazing – I liked the Espresso martini’s best and you get nice nibbles with them too. They had a pianist and singing duo a couple of nights which created a lovely atmosphere.

Warning – room service is not good food – make the effort and go out for dinner! We felt lazy a couple of nights and ordered. It was hot and on time, but it wasn‘t anywhere near the same quality as you can get in the restaurants. Although I did like the secrets box so you’re not disturbed.

Overall, with some very minor points (which really are nit- picking), this is an excellent hotel with some excellent staff. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone considering it, especially for a special occasion..…. Spoil yourself!

The Ollis'

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view for a romantic holiday. For a beach / pool holiday with friends save the money...
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review! We are sorry you did not enjoyed our room service all that much. We look forward serving you again in the near future.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon and we talk about it everyday still! Secrets Maroma is beyond amazing in every way! The service is uncomparable, the food, drinks, activities and relaxation are all simply amazing! We both can not wait to return!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear guest,

We loved your review! Short and right to the point! Thank you so much for submitting it, we look forward having you back real soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My partner and I had the pleasure of staying at Secrets resort at Maroma Beach from 25th March to the 31st March and we enjoyed every single moment. I know it’s a theme running through all the Trip Advisor reviews but the staff truly are amazing and nothing is too much trouble for them and they all go the extra mile to make sure that they help you to have the most fantastic holiday.

Our 1st cocktail was made by us by Hugo at the preferred club – he even asked us what we liked and recommended us the perfect cocktail – I had to go for the Margarita on the rocks and my partner was a lover of the Bite of Iguana – we sampled many more cocktails at the Club – all which were delivered with a warm welcome and mixed to perfection.

The food at the hotel is wonderful – from the Burgers at the Bare Foot Grill (they are so big though you might want to share one!) To the World Cafe – Buffet selection where Edgar was always about to welcome you and even give you a welcome hug and Michel would take care of making sure you had everything you needed throughout your meal. We also enjoyed meals at the Italian where David saw to our every need and as we could not decide what to have from the lovely menu – he even arranged that we could have small tasters of different dishes (which was perfect to share!)

Roger was our concierge and again saw to all our needs – even helping us arrange our transfer to another hotel. Always there to wave and say good morning to us and about all day if anything was needed.

We stopped in block 26 and opted for a 3rd floor apartment with an amazing view. We also opted for the Preferred club which was close by and also a nice stop off between going to the beach and getting ready for dinner. The Swim up pools did not seem to get much use or much of the sun light so we were happy that we had chosen the 3rd floor view with preferred club option.

The rooms were spotlessly clean and beautiful – lovely large bathroom and a gorgeous 4 poster bed.

The beach was beautiful – soft powder sand and beautiful sea. My partner and I enjoy long walks along the beach and were able to walk for miles in both directions (which is good for walking off that lovely food and drink!!!)

We did not fancy doing a tour and ended up booking a Taxi from 9am - 5pm for about $160 USD, this was ours for the day and our driver took us wherever we wanted to go, and would always be there waiting for us when we got back. We went to Tulum and 2 Cenotes and had a fantastic day out – without having to be stuck on a coach for hours which worked well for us.

They are very strict on the dress code for men – and at the restaurants that state long sleeved T Shirts and long trousers – they really do mean it – this can be a bit of a pain when you have just come off the beach and don’t want to dress up and it also seems a little unfair as the women can get away with wearing pretty much anything. Also you will be asked to the time share breakfast in return for some vouchers, but my advice is say no – unless of course you want to buy a time share! Small crosses to bare though considering all of the other wonderful things this hotel has to offer.

None of the staff seemed to expect tips but we tipped all the time as they really do deserve it and work so hard to pull out all the stops to make your stay one to remember. Wish we could thank them all by name and we would definitely return to secrets and would not hesitate to recommend it.

We broke our trip up into 2 resorts –6 nights at Secrets and 5 nights at Zoetry and I would totally advise this as you get 2 totally different concepts. I will be adding a TA report for Zoetry also so you can take a look at that too.

Thank you to all the staff at Secrets who made our holiday just perfect.

Shar Jones and Andrew Henshall

Room Tip: Would go for view rather than Swim up pools and preferred club is worth the extra.
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and five star rating review!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for an incentive trip. The hotel is beautiful, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the hotel entrance. The moment you step out of the vehicle and enter the lobby, your perception changes. The customer service of the staff is excellent and they seem to truly care that you are happy and comfortable during your entire stay. I would recommend Secrets Maroma to anyone looking to stay at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review!

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!