“Rain dampened our Maroma experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ft. Smith
“Rain dampened our Maroma experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a beautiful resort. But, our timing and the seemingly endless tropical storm at the beginning of June pretty much eliminated our outside activities for our stay.

We checked in on June 1st with a group of about 100 or so. They had a separate check in for our group and it took about 1 minute. There was snack food and a bar set up for us. This was a 5 star check in.

We were escorted to our room and our luggage arrived very quickly. Then, the rain started. Yes, I know, the resort can't do anything about the rain. But, for 3 days and nights, there were very few hours that it wasn't raining.

So, let me tell you about the inside life at SMB. The rooms are beautiful and clean. Our room didn't have any water issues at all. Some did. We were in 2534 and there is a covered walk way all the way to the main building, so that was nice. We still used the umbrella provided in the room, but some "spread out resorts" don't have covered walk ways, and this time I'm sure glad SMB did.

The Lobby Bar made good drinks and had fresh little peanut snacks for everyone. Ask for liquor by name or get the lesser stuff (like every bar in the world). The outdoor sports bar was fun, but would have been better without rain.

The Elvis show we saw was in the disco club and not the theater. I wished it was in the theater because I was forced to stand the entire show because there were more people than seats. I enjoyed the Elvis show, he doesn't take himself to seriously and he has a great voice.

The food at SMB is very good. I had the veal chop with French onion soup and crème brule' at the French restaurant and it was great. Had surf & turf at the seafood restaurant and it was very good. The steak house dinner was good but not great. Definitely eatable, just nothing to brag about. The service at all three restaurants was very good.

We didn't get to spend much time in the pool or at the beach and that's a shame. The beach was simply beautiful and the pools were the same. But, tropical storms aren't anybody's fault.

They did shut the elevators off and that was odd to me. One of the super nice concierge staff said they didn't want to get anybody stuck if the power went out. I guess that makes sense, but the power never went out and we got to walk two flights of stairs many times. Looking back, that's a good thing with all I ate and drank. I needed the stairs.

There was so much rain (well over a foot) that several of the swim up pools overflowed. I'm not talking about the pool overflowing into the garden, I'm talking about the gardens overflowing into the pools! Several of the swim up pools looked like ponds! Again, nobody's fault, but I was glad I had a 3rd floor room. I felt sorry for the staff that were going to have to clean up that mess and the honeymooners that paid for those swim up rooms. Some had to be relocated.

Would I go back to SMB? Yes. Is the food good? Yes. Are the rooms nice & clean? Yes. Just remember that hurricane season in Mexico starts June 1st and you just might get a ton of rain if you are unlucky.

Room Tip: Upper floors have ocean view. Swim up rooms have no view at all.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,265)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed at SMB for 12 nights for our honeymoon and it is perfect for honeymooners due to the service, quality of the rooms and food/drink selection.

PROS:
- Staff were incredible throughout the hotel. Extremely friendly, very attentive and would do anything for you. I've never seen staff so polite and good at their jobs. Special mention for Mariano our concierge who was brilliant during our stay.
- Food was fantastic at all the restaurants and we loved having so many a-la-carte restaurants to choose from. Each one is themed differently inside, which adds to the variety and experience. Apart from one nasty experience (see below) I didn't have one bad meal and the quality of food was impossible to fault. We particularly enjoyed the Italian, Seaside Grill and French restaurants. Seafood restaurant was ok, but spoilt by the mosquito. Good selection at breakfast in the World Cafe also, however we did stop going to save ourselves for lunch and dinner.
- The beach was out of this world, powder white sand and turquoise coloured sea. It was also fairly quiet, which I was surprised about.
- Plenty of activities to do throughout the day, so you can never get bored. We particularly liked the mini golf course.
- Pools are quite shallow and aren't huge, but more than adequate and floats are provided.
- Rooms were excellent. Large bed, daily stocked free mini-bar, room service hatch, DVD player, large jazuzzi bath and well maintained by the maids. Rooms are turned down every night, which is a nice touch.
- It did rain heavily for 5 of the days we were there, but the staff reacted brilliantly and tried to keep everyone entertained.
- Highly recommend hiring a private beach cabana for the day for $40. We wished we'd done it more than once, I don't think life gets any better than that.
- The grounds are full of wildlife that us Brits in particular aren't used to seeing such, which were great to watch.
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the resort, which was quick and reliable. Ideal for a Twitter-holic like myself.

CONS:
- One night I ordered pizza from room service and after taking a bite I noticed something dark between the cheese layer and crust. I picked it out and it was a large dead fly. Needless to say I complained to our concierge. To be fair, the concierge and restaurant manager were very apologetic and agreed to allow us a free meal on the beach, normally worth $200.
- On arrival the 'VIP services' attempt to trick you into agreeing to attend a 3hr breakfast and tour regarding becoming a sort of gold member for the chain. I was aware from previous reviews that they try to sell stuff to you on arrival but I was still angered by the manner. She started off by explaining the local area and attractions then seamlessly merged into trying to sell this membership and explaining the breakfast and talk. She talked very quickly and never once asked us straight out if we would like to attend, it was only at the very end of the talk that I realised she expected us to attend. After a 10 hour flight from the UK we were too tired to fight it and just left for our room. They then persisted in constantly pestering us about it, even after we rang to cancel we received a phone call asking why we didn't attend and someone had been waiting for us! I think they are making a huge mistake by deploying these sales tactics when you first walk in, regardless of whether you receive vouchers for attending. It leaves a very negative first impression.
- Although the entertainment team were brilliant, I found that the hotel was a bit confused about what it wanted to be. On the most part it's a relaxing, luxurious resort for couples, however during the day by the pool anyone would think it was an 18-30's resort due to the rowdiness of some of the activities.
- Prepare for plenty of wooping and 'hell yeah!' by the pool bar in the afternoons from the loud Americans who think it's Spring Break. I've nothing against it, but if you are there to chill out and relax, best to sit as far away from the pool bar as possible.

Drop the annoying sales pitch and it will be perfection. I think any future resorts we stay in will struggle to live up to it. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Swim-up rooms aren't really worth it, they only get sun for part of the day and it's much be...
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at SMB from June 7 - 14, 2013. Having just arrived home tonight the first thing we had to do was tell the world about this fabulous resort, and why you won't regret booking here. We booked our stay based purely on trip advisor reviews, and stayed with another couple to celebrate our wedding anniversaries. Here's the highlights:

Check In - cold towels, champagne, and into our room within 30 minutes of our arrival. NO high pressure time share / returning guest sales pitch (we had experienced this at another Secrets resort.) Check out - under 10 minutes. So efficient and friendly.

Room - clean, cool, and beautiful. The 'Happy Anniversary' banner on the door, fresh flowers and welcome letter were all nice touches. After a quick tour of the amenities in the room we were left to enjoy the bottle of champagne that had been left on ice for us to celebrate our anniversary. Comfortable bed (although not as amazing as the beds at Secrets Wild Orchid.) Beautiful and romantic bathroom. Separate living room area and lots of closet space. They had also set up a floor fan which I had pre-requested through the concierge as my husband and I like to have the white noise to sleep. It’s the little extras like this that made us really feel at home. Our concierge Antonio was quick to prove that we would want for nothing during our stay.

Pool - plenty of chairs in both the shade or sun, floats for the pool, private inlets, natural rock around one side, and an infinity pool. We never had trouble finding what we needed every day. The poolside wait staff were fantastic and very attentive. Balbina in particular made such a good impression on our group we would make sure to seat ourselves in her section of the pool. She remembered all of our favorite drinks after the first order, and would often bring us another before our glass was even empty.

Grounds - meticulously kept with a surprising amount of wildlife. We saw crabs, iguanas, bats, an occasional snake and ‘cuties’ (small raccoon like critters - deserving of their nickname!) One of the staff members informed me this is because the owner of the resort is an environmental activist and doesn’t want the presence of his resort to impose on the natural wildlife.

Beach - definitely the nicest beach we’ve ever been to. Powdery white sand, clean clear water, and no venders bothering us. I can understand why it’s one of the top 10 in the world.

Food - every single meal was fantastic. Room service was quick (typically under 40 min even late at night), and arrived hot. Love the Secrets box that they deliver to - no need to answer the door in a robe. Put the dishes back in the box when you’re done and they disappear! Breakfast at the buffet was delicious and there were many options to choose from. Lunch at the barefoot grill was always fresh and it was nice to be able to bring the food back to the pool. Dinner at every single restaurant was delicious, and the service was the best I’ve every had. Waiters were quick to recommend the most popular dishes and the best wine to accompany them. Above and beyond service included a waiter asking another staff member to get bug spray for us when the mosquitos bothered us when eating outside, easily working around dietary restrictions, and creating a special dessert in honor of celebrating our anniversary.

Drinks - we rarely even needed to ask for a drink, they were offered everywhere. Strong, delicious and well made. Bartenders, as well as wait staff were quick to learn our favorites or to suggest a new mix when we wanted to try something new.

Entertainment - this is where this resort set itself above any others we’ve been to. The entertainment staff. The staff don’t just organize activities and offer them to guests - they participate! ‘The Ferminator’, ‘Alfredo’, ‘Big Willy’, ‘Bambi’ and the ‘Energizer Bunny’ - all amazing people who genuinely want to make sure everyone is having the time of their life. We loved playing and watching pool volleyball, ‘minute to win-it’, pool black-jack, archery, dance lessons....I could go on and on. I also really enjoyed just chatting with them by the pool and hearing what their lives were like in Mexico and why they love what they do. The nightly entertainment was also fantastic. Our favorites were the Elvis impersonator, comedy magician, and the beautiful stargazing concert on the beach.

No other resort has treated us so well, and made us feel so at home. We will absolutely return to this resort.

Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Arrival: 6/7 There is a long road to resort entrance. I assume a majority of the water from the rain was gone. Once we made it to entrance there was staff available with cool towels. They took
Our luggage and drink orders. Check in was smooth and easy.

Rooms: rooms are clean. Our group had a combination of junior suite partial ocean view, swim out, and ocean view. The partial ocean view in bldg 12, 2nd had no ocean view at all so we asked to be moved. The hotel moved us the following day to bldg 25 which had a partial view.

Resort grounds: on the smaller side but very clean and tidy. The staff work all day long to achieve a clean and relaxing atmosphere.

Beach: Absolutely beautiful there was always loungers and shade available. Paula was part of the beach staff and she made sure she found me a lounger in the shade and directed my girlfriends over to the area I was in to join me once they arrived. There were beautiful weddings on the beach as well. Kayaking was also complimentary. Overall the beach was very relaxing. I slept out there for hours.

Spa: very beautiful and relaxing. We ordered the hot stone massage and Irene was my massage therapist who did a good job. The spa reminds me of a castle made of stone. Pretty!

Food: My favorite was Oceana. Didn't really like Mexican restaurant. Himitsu was good. I would recommend hotel keeps World Cafe open for dinner. French and Italian restaurant s were ok. I guess they use same seasoning at most restaurants because everything began to taste the same. Room service was nice. Timeteo from World Cafe went above and beyond to make sure i received a real fruit smoothie. If u plan to eat inside any of the restaurant s to avoid mosquitoes men please wear pants. Okay now on to the mosquitoes. ?...

Resort mosquitoes: the mosquitoes at this resort almost spoiled the trip. We were not wearing cologne or perfume but we were bitten badly. The resort needs to spray foggers. I mean it was so bad that one of the performers from the outside show had to ask for bug repellent before he could continue. Im still itching and im back home. The resort said it was matting season and the rain brought the mosquitoes. It rained a week before we arrived, but the resort failed to spray.

Excursion: We did the Tulum Extreme excursion and it was nice. Tulum is the most beautiful beach I've seen in my life (compared to Aruba Puerto Rico and Dominican)

Time share : I understand they are sales men and women but they do take a majority of your day and time so don't do it unless you are there for several days I think they took up like 4 hours of our time, but in return we got $200 in spa credits.

Entertainment: where do I start jazz player and fire show was phenomenal. Rock show was not. It wouldve been nice to have impersonators at rock show and better music. It was just loud and lacked cohession. Urban show lacked plot and cohesiveness could have used more modern and urban music better transitions and back drops. Although break dancers were really good they just need a plot to make a bigger show. The shows were shory 1 hour and after that it was kind of nothing to do besides go to the night club and listdn to more heavy metal rock. There was no smooth jazz/r&b just headache music. Also, I recommend having night lights on the beach for evening strolls and releaxation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We arrived at Secrets Maroma Beach on June 5 and departed on June 12. The entire area received a trendous amount of rain in the days leading up to our arrival which resulted in quite a bit of standing water on the grounds when we arrived. But luckily the rain moved out, and the weather was outstanding for the duration of our stay.

The service we received from the resort staff was outstanding from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Our room was exceptionally clean and it was attended to throughout the day to make certain we had clean towels, etc. Our king bed was extremely comfortable and the room had several amenities including a nice sitting area, beautiful tile flooring, ample closet space and a large bathroom with a wonderful whirlpool tub and separate tiled shower.

The resort pools were wonderful with plenty of lounge chairs and towels available. Waiters and waitresses were very attentive to our needs throughout the day. The beach was beautiful and very clean.

The resort has a number of restaurants which provide several options for evening dining. We found the quality of the food to be very good. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, offering a wide variety of food choices.

Evening entertainment was provided by a very talented group of young dancers and singers and put an outstanding final touch to a great day at the resort.

In closing, we truly enjoyed our week at Secrets Maroma Beach and we would certainly recommend this resort for anyone looking for a wonderful romantic getaway. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just got back a few days ago from a wonderful vacation at Secrets Maroma.

I want to thank Jennifer Byrne with The Tropical Travelers for helping us coordinate this great vacation. Your knowledge of the Riveria Maya area is quite impressive.

We arrived June 4 in the middle of a tropical depression (apparently the worst one in years in the Cancun area). While the entrance from the highway leading to the resort is less than desirable, the actual resort entrance is very nice. We were taken to the Preferred Club check-in area immediately upon arrival. Check in was absolutely simple - we waited about an hour for our room to be ready. The PC area is very nice and personal -- we drank mimosas while Andres (the bartender) began the comedy show. (Everyday we would grab a drink in the morning, chat with Andres and then head to the beach. Great guy.)

So, after about 1.5 days of rain and lots of alcohol and food later, the sun came out and the beach was amazing.

The resort is top notch; room exceeded expectation (we had a swim out room but didn't use much because of weather; service amazing (I believe there is 2:1 staff to guests). Minor issues: the resort is a little busy as it is very popular (I would have preferred a resort with less people, but in the end, you could always find a spot where it was a little more intimate and quiet). The pool swim up bar area was obviously the most crowded but there are definitely tons of areas to get away if you want a more quiet vacation.

The beach front cabanas are the way to go if you want some intimacy. I preferred the location on the north side of the beach near the outdoor bar with swings. Just reserve them as soon as you can. Hopefully Humberto will be working --- he was great.

THE SPA (WOW) - We had an amazing couples massage - both of us agreed it was probably the best massage we ever had. Only wish we would have gone for 80 minutes instead of 55. I believe Ruby and Aimed were the massage therapists names. We have had massages at very nice hotels in Texas, etc. and these ladies were really amazing. The massage greatly exceeded our expectations.

Restaurants - Breakfast at World Café truly top notch. 3 omelette stations; 1 crepe station; tons of great food. Lunch - usually ordered food while at cabana but restaurants nearby pool looked very nice. Fish tacos good (actually that was about the only fish that we liked)! Last day we didn't get a cabana and hung out around pool -- every 30 minutes or so staff would bring out appetizers --- Not to mention pool side hamburgers available, etc. You will not go hungry here. Dinner - Only ate at a few for dinner (Bordeaux (French), El Patio (Mexican), and Port Fino (Italian). Bordeaux and Port Fino preferred over El Patio. Also, neither one of us liked the seafood at the resort - which was surprising being on the beach. Recommend that you order the beef fillet (seems like every restaurant had same size fillet and just cooked slightly different). Food in general - the food is very good for a beach resort in Mexico (but this is not high end dining you will find in America - still probably the best All Inclusive food I've had in Mexico).

Quite a few of the people we met have been coming to Secrets Maroma (year after year) and keep stating that you can't find anything better for the value. I would tend to agree.

For a vacation it is great - relaxing and wonderful resort. Very easy to get in and out of the airport, etc. If I were on my honeymoon, I may have preferred a slightly more tropical, more secluded beach destination -- of course - you can find that in the Carribean at a much higher price. Bottom Line: You will not go wrong here and will absolutely love it.

Thanks again Jennifer Byrne (www.thetropicaltravelers.com) for your patience and help planning the vacation. We can't thank you enough for making this such a smooth and hassle free process and great trip!

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Me (27) and my husband (29) stayed at SMB between 1st-11th June to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary and what can I say about this resort - it's just fantastic!

We'd never been to Mexico before so used our instincts and booked SMB as it seemed to have excellent reviews overall and we liked the sound of the A La carte dining, adults only, all inclusive, branded drinks but most of all that beach.

We arrived on 1st June to rain and my first thought was "oh no" as we'd travelled 10.5 hours from Manchester UK where it rains a lot, so to see rain when we arrived wasn't welcome HOWEVER to blame the resort for the weather, well I've heard it all now. Yes, there was very heavy rainfall for 2/3 days which resulted in the grounds, swim up suites and drive flooding and I really did feel for those people who had booked those suites as they were unusable for a good few days, however there was plenty of indoor rainy day activities arranged and I could see the staff working tirelessly to try their best to deal with what was an awful lot of rainfall. It obviously wasn't expected in that quantity and the drainage systems simply couldn't cope. We sometimes have this back home. How anybody can blame the resort/staff for the weather I have no idea. I wouldn't have even mentioned the weather in this review but wanted to clear up that that kind of weather is very rare over there and we were just unlucky. Yes, we were all fed up as we wanted to sit out but there's nothing you can do so we made the best of it. Once it cleared up a few days later I didn't see a drop of rain after that.

FYI, they stopped the lift for safety reasons as the power would occasionally cut out during the storm, you would have something to complain about if you were stuck in a hot lift for hours. We were top floor and used the stairs no problem but know this may inconvenience those physically unable to use stairs. However, if you're just too lazy to use the stairs then I guess it's tough.

CHECK IN

We had arranged a private transfer from Cancun airport and this was great as after a long flight, all we wanted to do was get to the hotel quickly. It took no more than 30 minutes.

The drive was long as someone has mentioned, however it was quite nice to be off the beaten track and what you get at the end is totally worth it. Someone mentioned the bumpy track, yes it's bumpy, but they are quite clearly paving the track to improve this so in the long term it will be better.

The lobby was impressive and felt cool and we were offered a cold towel and glass of fizz, much appreciated after our trip. We sat down at a desk and were checked in within 10 minutes. It was nice to see that my request of a higher floor room and great ocean view had been noted as we were given a 4th floor room. They had also noted that it was our anniversary so make sure you mention this if it's yours.

No-one tried to sell us the time share which I was pleased about, but after reading the reviews I felt prepared to say no to this. They gave us our vouchers anyway.

Our bags were taken to our rooms for us and they had put a 'Happy Anniversary' banner on our door and we had a bottle of sparkling wine on ice waiting for us - a nice touch.

ROOM

We booked an ocean view room and were placed in building 24 (2446) which we thought was a great room. Cool, clean and large with an excellent view. We had a four poster king size bed and it really was very comfortable. There was a daily maid service and also a turn down service most nights. They also leave a sheet with the following days activities which was useful.

The rooms have everything you may need; iron and board, hairdryer, Nespresso coffee machine (the capsules are restocked when you use them), the fridge is restocked daily with water, Corona and soft drinks. Ladies, there is also a good magnifying mirror in the bathroom, I brought mine and didn't need to. Lots of toiletries (didn't see shower gel but brought my own and I'm sure if I'd asked they would have given us some). Rooms come complete with slippers and robes and even a hatch for room service if your 'do not disturb' is on. They bring extra hangers if you ask. Basically nothing is too much trouble and our building 24 concierge Jean was very helpful.

Room service menu was great and options plentiful, we ordered room service breakfast once and champagne breakfast on our anniversary and it was delivered within 30 minutes.

I'd read reviews about the lack of privacy in the bathroom. To clarify, there is a sheer curtain part way between the bathroom and bedroom so you'd be able to see through to the bath and sinks if you wanted to however there are separate rooms with doors on to the shower and toilet so it felt private. There is a jacuzzi bath, however I only used this once as it took too ages to fill so didn't bother again. It's a nice touch though.

There's free Wi-fi throughout the resort and it didn't apply to us but there's free calls through the Secrets app to America/Canada.

FOOD

We really enjoyed the food. We don't consider ourselves 'fussy' eaters in that we'll eat most things, however we do have high standards when it comes to taste and quality and we were never disappointed. The food is superb.

There are 7 a la carte restaurants and you don't need to book any of them including the Japanese unless you want the Hibachi experience where they cook the food in front of you (I wish I'd known this as we would have tried the a la carte there). The hibachi you do need to book.

We thought the system was great, you get ready, turn up at the restaurant you want to eat at and if there's a wait they'll tell you how long and you get given a buzzer which will buzz and light up when your table's ready. We went for dinner between 7-8pm each night and only had to wait once for about 10 minutes. We just went to get a drink in the lobby bar.

World Cafe - (Buffet in the morning and lunch, a la carte in the evening). We didn't try this for dinner or lunch, only for breakfast. Breakfast choice was large and Sandra at the crepe station makes gorgeous crepes! I recommend and miss those. I saw an omelette station which we didn't use but it seemed that there was something for everyone.

Seaside Grill (Oceana and Steakhouse) - a la carte lunch and dinner. We tried the grill at lunch a couple of times and the food was delicious with a choice of wraps, fajitas, salads etc. Manuel aka Speedy Gonzalez was wonderful.

We also tried the Barefoot grill serving BBQ'd hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, fish, chips, nachos etc. This was also good and I had the cheeseburger a few times and each time it was perfectly cooked.

Another great thing we saw was the staff in Kayaks in the pool handing out mini burgers, hot dogs etc. This was fantastic & happened on the Friday. A brilliant touch and I'd never seen anything like it before.

We ate at the steak house restaurant once and the service there was fantastic, I wish I could remember our waiters name as he was great. The food wasn't quite as good as Bordeaux/Portofino/El Patio however was still nice and the setting was lovely as it was open at the sides with pool views so we could watch the sunset. We didn't try Oceana.

Himitsu (Japanese) - We booked the Hibachi table for our anniversary and the food was nice. It was cooked in front of us and seated about 12 people so was nice to chat with other guests. It probably didn't live up to our expectations/hype though and we've had as nice in the UK. Still lovely food though. I wish we'd known that you don't need to book the a la carte section of the restaurant as we'd have tried there. There is also a sushi bar that you don't need to book.

El Patio (Mexican) - Our third favourite restaurant and we found the food lovely. It was only our third choice as we enjoyed the Italian and French more.

Portofino (Italian) - Our close 2nd favourite. Absolutely delicious food, a nice choice of pastas, chicken, fish etc. There were no pizzas though but that didn't matter as everything was delicious.

Bordeaux (French) - Our personal favourite simply for that Filet Mignon. Wow! I'm not a big steak eater but my husband is and we both thought it was beautiful and perfectly cooked. The Pot au Feu soup was my favourite and on our last night I wanted to try another starter with that so Felix (another brilliant member of staff) brought me a small bowl of Pot au Feu with my other starter. Excellent service. The young man who serves the bread (I think his name is Gilberto), he was absolutely lovely and I wanted to bring him home with me (he didn't know this as I didn't want to scare him), he was very polite and a credit to the resort.

All restaurants were great and you won't struggle to find something you love. If you do, then I'm afraid you're too fussy and should consider staying at home I'm afraid. The portions aren't huge but we aren't big portion eaters anyway so they were perfect for us as we always left full. Besides, you can order as much as you want and can even go back & have 24/7 room service if you want!

Every single member of staff we experienced in the restaurants were polite, friendly and professional and really are a credit to Secrets Maroma - well done!

DRINKS

A great choice and quality of drinks served across the bars and the pool/beach waiter service was wonderful. Top branded drinks such as Baileys, Beefeater and Tanqueray gins (the list is endless) are served, if you want a specific liqueur ask for it and if they have it, you can have it.

I had too many cocktails but they were so good! My favourite was Seabreeze but there are so many to choose from. Go enjoy yourselves, drink and be merry!

We're not wine experts by any means but enjoy a nice glass and found the house wines, particularly the Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc as well as the house sparkling wine lovely so didn't feel the need to pay extra for wine as this was adequate for us.

THE BEACH AND POOLS

The pool was lovely and there were always beds available if you came down before 11am. The no reserving of beds rule was great as it meant guests couldn't come down in the early hours to park their towel down and disappear for hours. This applied to the beach and pool. Pool floats are available and were shared nicely between the guests. Only saw one couple 'hogging' 2 floats but the majority left them in the pool when they were done for others to use.

Pool bar was nice, and yes it was louder around the pool, but it was nice atmosphere, i.e people on holiday enjoying themselves. If you prefer it quieter go to the beach I'd say.

The beach = WOW. One of the nicest beaches I've ever come across and one of the main reasons we booked this resort. The water wasn't as clear as normal I was told due to the storms but the sand was powder soft and as white as they come (see my pics) and beautifully maintained. My husband was told that they spray something on the sand to keep it cool which is why it was so lovely and cool to walk on. They really do think of everything.

We booked a beach bed for $40 for our anniversary and Jean made sure we were front row. This was a fantastic treat as we received butler service between 9am-5pm and there is even a special lunch menu and they bring the food to you. My hubby burns so he loved being able keep out of the sun and there was an extra lounger for me to sunbathe.

Can I just mention the fantastic beach concierge Humberto and the wonderful Urbano. They looked after us all day and when we told them it was our anniversary when we arrived they brought Mimosa's! It was such a lovely day that we decided to book another beach bed for our last day. It really was the perfect anniversary so I'd recommend you rent a Palafito at least once. You can book this with your building concierge when you arrive.

ENTERTAINMENT

One of our favourite and lasting memories of this hotel will be the entertainment and entertainment team at SMB. They work so hard day and night to keep the guests entertained and they really are lovely. We're now Facebook friends with a few and we were genuinely sad to leave. In particular Big Willy (Guillermo), Fermin (Ferminator) and Sasquatch (Fernando). The others were great too.

My husband loved the pool volleyball at midday and played daily along with beach volleyball and we took part in Big Willy's mini golf tournament. There was always something to do.

Night time entertainment was pretty special, the fire show and Rock show were superb, the Sensuality show was also impressive with the aerial/acrobat acts, although a couple of ladies were topless bar a bit of glitter coverage which we didn't think the show needed. Fair enough skimpy clothes as for the act you don't want anything getting caught. We're not prudes by any means but genuinely can't see how the topless aspect added to the show, although I think some guests liked it as they caught a few flies :-O

Please make sure you try and go to the shows as they are so well put together and professional and the theatre seats are comfortable so you can sit and enjoy a drink whilst watching the shows.

SPA

I had a 50 minute Swedish massage on my anniversary and it was great. The spa is lovely and very relaxing. There is a hydro-circuit that you can use an hour before your treatment which I didn't use but it looked nice. You can use your spa vouchers $40 per treatment depending on what it is. It was $109 after discount plus tips.

TIPS / STAFF

We're from the UK so don't have a set tipping culture, just tip when you receive good service and it's exactly the same at SMB. Tip when you receive good service or you want to. We never felt obligated to and still received fantastic service whether we did or not but we tipped quite a bit as we honestly were so happy with the professional and friendly service we received.

The staff work so hard and were so brilliant in every aspect, every request was responded with "it's my pleasure". Nothing was too much trouble, you want something you politely ask and it happens.

Overall, a wonderful resort and if you want a top quality resort with top quality food, drinks, service, beach, pool, entertainment and staff then this is the place for you.

I apologise for the lengthy review, however I wanted to give you a very honest and recent review while it's all still fresh in my mind. I chose this resort because of the reviews on Trip Advisor so I hope this review helps someone. If in doubt, just book it!

We'll definitely be back, thanks Secrets Maroma and staff for a memorable stay.

Hannah & Rob Jones

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean view room in building 24 (2446). Nice view of the ocean and pretty central to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!