“The best!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dorset,UK
“The best!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

As many others have stated, this is one of the best hotels we have been to. The staff are polite, friendly & so attentive it would be rude to try & criticise.
24 hour room service, 6 a la carte restaurants plus a world buffet, all excellent & on a par with any top restaurant in the UK.
With 80% occupancy there were still plenty of sun beds avaliable every day. Activities in the pool should you wish to use, volleyball & aerobics, got to try & make space for the next meal!
After your meal a cocktail goes down perfectly in fact before the meal it went down just as well.
If there was not a seat availble outside, then you were given an alerter that vibrated when a table came up, usually about 20 minutes. Oh well another cocktail.
We had the sun on our patio first thing up to about 11. This was March so I would expect this to extend as the sun got higher later in the year, not an issue as it wss nice to come back to the room for a little shade.
I did dive a couple of times & was not completely impressed with the hotels choice of setup. The boat & skipper were fine but they did not want to go deep as it would have extendd the morning dive. They like to get 2 dives in between 9.30 and 12. Deep dives would prevent this due to longer surface intervals. Shop around & check your equipment thoroughly, I took my own from previous experiences.
Finally there is always the beach for peace & quiet & you still get waiter surface to you sun bed. Whole range of age groups from 20's to 60+. Not an issuge with anyone as there is something for all.
We did not use the spar, little expensive we thought but your choice.
As were from the UK it took a few days to sleep through the night but the beds were very comfortable & big.
All this & no kids.

Room Tip: 200 ground floor, swim up room was a perfect bonus.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,266)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed in Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon March 2013. We couldnt recommend it enough. We stayed in Preferred Club suite with Ocean View. Our room was beautiful, with an amazing view of the gorgeous beach. As honeymooners our package included some complimentary treats - a romantic meal on the beach, breakfast in bed on a morning of our choice, a relaxing couples message and a bottle of bubbly in our room on arrival.

There was a fantastic choice and variety of places to eat throughout the day, each as fantastic as he other. Our favourite evening restaurants were the Italian and the Mexican. Each course in all the restaurants was presented so delicately and the quality of the food was great.

The buildings and pool area were kept so clean and staff could be seen daily carrying out maintenance. All the staff, from hoousekeeping to waiter/waitresses to bar staff were so friendly and helpful. Each staffmember had a smile and 'Ola' when passing throughout the day.

The Entertainment staff were the best we've ever come across. As a young couple we really enjoyed the daily activities and the night time entertainment. They were very friendly, funny and greeted us each day by our names. Alfredo, 'Mini' and Lorena were particularly excellent.

We visited the Spa three times during our stay. It was amazing. The treaments were so relaxing. The 'Moon and Stars Couple Massege' was very romantic and well worth the price.

Overall this resort was fantasic. We are so happy that we choose it for our honeymoon as it was better than we ever could have imagined. Every aspect of it was excellent. We will definately return in the future.

Room Tip: 'Ocean View' was amazing (Preferred Club). When booking we had considered selecting a 'S...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Husband and I are fans of Secrets. I always stumble on Maroma while looking for new hotels to stay at every vacation, so we finally decided to book it this year. We Celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary this trip and decided to break up our 8 day vacation by staying at 2 resorts. We ended at Maroma (April 11th-15th) and I'm glad we did. We had a great time, relaxed by both the pool and beach and service couldn't be better. The resort is huge.

A few things we liked:

Room: Honestly, I like more of a modern decor, which is why we never booked Maroma, however, I have to say that this changed when we got there. The Room was very pretty and well maintained. The bed was a little hard for my taste but still pretty comfy. It was nice seeing the ocean from our balcony. Our Housekeeper (Abigail I think her name was) was so fantastic. We left her a tip one day, and she put the money by our belongings thinking that we left it out by accident. I thought that was very honest of her in the event that we did, but they never assume or expect tips. Everyone works tirelessly, so we personally feel compelled to tip.

Grounds: Lots of tress, and wildlife. Iguana's, birds and Coiti's. It's a beautifully maintained property, and has an Authentic Mexican feel to it.

Pool: The pools were nice. Only complaint is that they are not deep enough. They are probably about 3 feet tops. Still manageable to swim in though. The pool chairs fill up by noon, but they do a great job with making sure people are not reserving seats earlier than 10am and leaving them unattended for hours. Good job on enforcing that.

Beach: Where do I begin? the beach is BEAUTIFUL! The sand never gets hot, and its immaculately up-kept. No hard shells, seaweed, etc. The water is blue and the staff on the beach are a plus. you'll always have food and drinks wherever you go in the resort. They have beach cabanas for rent if you like to be in the shade, but you should book those in advance, they get booked up quickly. They have daily BBQ's on the beach so you won't have to walk back up to the pool to get food. They also have a daily BBQ by the pool. You wont go hungry here.

Service: The resort is huge, but what we appreciated was that they have the manpower to cater to everyone staying at the resort. It was pretty full, but everyone was tended to. (at least we were) The pool waiters work hard, making sure everyone is served. They really have this down.

Spa: The spa is beautiful. Husband and I enjoyed an 80 min massage. He got the Hot stone and I got a Swedish. We both were happy. The prices are decent for a resort, and you can use your resort credits towards the service.

Gym: Decent. Not the best, but it served it's purpose. Have a few ellipticals, treadmills, and weights. Besides your on vacation. Get in and get out :)

Entertainment: The entertainment staff work hard! they are out all day with fun activities you can participate in. They have night shows, a movie theater, theme nights, and daytime games by the pool and around the resort. It's optional, but you can definitely still find a quiet area to relax if needed.

Food: Last but not least, the food! I honestly was a bit disappointed. We thought the food for such a wonderful resort and 5 star rating was actually average. At El Patio (Mexican) I took one fork full of my Grouper, and couldn't stomach the rest. Breakfast was similar. Eggs made to order fresh were overcooked, and the waffles and other buffet items were cold. Portofino (Italian) was bad. Ordered a simple penne with pesto sauce and it actually made me a bit sick the next day. Oceana was actually decent. Had Seabass.

Overall, my husband and I rated this resort 4 1/2-5 stars based on the grounds, beach, and service. These things are important to us. Food is very important but it wasn't a deal breaker. We are from NY and are used to a large variety. Also coming from Paradisus La Perla where the food was the best, we actually had something to compare it to. I think Maroma is a beautiful resort and would recommend it.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have just returned from our honey moon at Secrets Maroma Beach and I can honestly say it was perfect. We received a very warm welcome and after a 20hr journey the cool face cloths and champagne were very much needed. Our suite was lovely and the bed was so comfy that getting out of it seemed a shame. (we have never slept so well or for so long)
The resort itself is immaculate and there really isn’t a piece of gravel out of place or a weed in sight. The staff genuinely are lovely and very helpful. Our concierge Jean was brilliant to the extent that we went to Player de Carmen and he saw us and came over and asked us what he could do for us.... it was his day off! Amazing. The waiters around the pool and on the beach keep you refreshed and hydrated always delivering service with a smile and being English we were unaccustomed to the rules of tipping but received amazing service none the less. Room Service was superb, the food was hot and delicious and served with a smile. Hector and Gabriella and Jesus were some of our favourite staff but all the other staff was as equally helpful and efficient. One evening after a long day at Xcaret (which is an awesome day out) my feet hurt so bad that before I knew it I was in a Golf cart being taken to my room to save my sore feet and I couldn’t of been more grateful what amazing service.
The food was outstanding, fresh, tasty and very well presented. After reading some complaints on here about the food I honestly have no idea what is wrong with people and what their expectations could be. We were there for 14nights and ate differently every day and the range for breakfast was impressive. We had a few days out and took boxed lunched with us from the hotel which was of an equal high standard and the coffee shop was awesome.
Cocktails, Mmmmm I loved them and am still missing my Pina Colada from the pool bar. It really was paradise and if we can, would not hesitate in recommending or returning to Secrets Maroma.
The beach is gorgeous the sand is soft like Talcum powder and the sea warm, clean and clear. The beach is very well maintained and we went down to beach for sunrise one morning and the beds already had towels folded on for you and the sea grass was being cleaned off the shore line. It was 5.30.
There are a few little points to note though. The last thing we needed after a 20hr journey was the hastle from Carlos regarding time share. We are from England and it is unrealistic to think that we could pop over there for a short break and he was very persuasive and relentless and we were very tired and just wanted to get to our room. We didn’t take him up on his offer despite the persuasion of a free 250 dollar meal on the beach but every time we went back to the lobby during our holiday he and Simon were there we would be hassled again and one time we declined the breakfast meeting 17 times before he would leave us be. This put us off going to the bar (we only went there in the day to book trips) and in then just got a taxi and went out by ourselves to save us the high sales pitch from them when waiting to see the reps. He even asked us not to mention this on trip advisor. It was a shame as this was the only thing that spoilt paradise. The silly thing is the resort is so lovely it sells itself!
Just one other thing (apologies for the essay) we paid £800 extra for a room with a sea view. We were in block 24 and although had a lovely view I didn’t feel it was worth the extra money and be careful we assumed our room had a small Jacuzzi on the balcony as in all the photos but it didn’t. I think they must of been only in the preferred club. It must have said this in the room description but nature dictates that we see the pictures and believe what we see. Our room was still fantastic but just mentioning this to avoid disappointment. If you are thinking of going, do it’s a holiday of a lifetime.

Room Tip: The majority of the rooms are the same. We didn't stay in a swim out but never saw anyone in the...
Morganville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just spent 10 days at Secrets Maroma Best vacation I have ever had. The staff was friendly, accomodating and efficient. The food was excellent. My room was beautiful and cleam. The pool and grounds were spot less. The entertainment staff was amazing. I would like to thank Guillermo, Lorena, Diana,Manuel, Alberto(Black Diamond),Alberto(Elvis),Alberto(Harry Potter), Alfredo, and Carlo's for all their hard work and talent and great enthusiasm. Friendliest people you could ever meet. They put their heart and souls into what they do and try to make all their guests feel welcome . Thank you Excelente entertainment staff!

Room Tip: Building 12 and the 3rd and 4th floors give you a really good view
Vanderhoof, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is definitely one of the nicest resorts we have stayed at. A full five stars for beach, food, rooms and service. Drinks and food were better than most resorts. We will most definitely go back.
No loud annoying music playing all day either.

Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

WOW!! Go ASAP! Secrets Maroma will exceed your expectations. Wonderful, warm welcoming staff, non stop transfers from the airport. Greeted by name upon arrival with lavendar scented towels and champagne! Escorted to your room. Each building has it's own concierge! We stayed in building 15, 4th floor (top floor), ov jr. suite. Wonderful balcony with gorgeous ocean view. Food is exceptional, and the entertainment was very good; cirque du soleil type show one night called Sensuality was erotic and mesmerizing!
Nice pool, EXCEPTIONAL BEACH! Rent a beach front cabana asap as they are very popular and book up about a week in advance. Wonderful beach and pool side waite staff.
The most relaxing, comfortable, carefree Mexican Riviera vacation I've ever had, and this was my 8th time to the Riviera Maya. Secrets Maroma will become your new favorite too :)

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms offer the best ocean view. All ground floor rooms are swim out suites, but please...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!