“Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in Feb 2013. Very good all inclusive resort. Good selection of branded drinks, good restaurant selection (lunch grill was super) rooms were spacious and bed was very comfortable. Spa was excellent as was beach ( beautiful Sarasota sand ) staff were friendly and helpful. No children at resort. A good place to relax. 30 minute transfer from Cancun airport, close to Talum Ruins. An excellent place to rest for a week!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,264)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a week at Secrets (2/9-2/16) and I cannot say enough amazing things about our experience, but I certainly will try! We had done a ton of research and reading on TripAdvisor in planning this trip back in October, and I was a little nervous that our expectations would not be met, but they were exceeded.

We booked airport transportation through Cancun Transfers and that went very smoothly. Make sure to have cash on you as the tip for the driver is not included if you prepay when you book online. We arrived at the hotel around noon - check in was quick and painless, and the cool towels and champagne were a fabulous touch. We sat through a quick pitch from the VIP sales group and said we were not interested, and heard nothing further from them. We were able to use the vouchers they gave us for discounts at the spa and for a romantic beach dinner. Our room wasn't ready yet but we got a pager and were able to have lunch and enjoy the pool while waiting for our room.

Accomodations - we had gone back and forth about ocean view vs swim up and opted for the ocean view based on mixed reviews for swim ups. We were in Building 15 on the 3d floor, and had a lovely view of the ocean and were centrally located and it was quiet. While there, a lot of folks said their swim ups were cold and it is based on how much sun the pool gets, so could be a gamble unless you can request a building that gets more sun. I also don't think there was any need for preferred club. Room was spacious and comfortable and kept clean. Turn down service every night was a nice touch. We did have an issue with the toilet clogging once but that was fixed within several minutes.

Food - We are from NYC and eat out quite a bit, and were very pleasantly surprised and impressed with the food. We had the buffet for breakfast most days and got room service one morning - all excellent. We liked all of the lunch options as well. We especially liked Oceana, El Patio, and Portofino. Himitsu was a fun show, and Bordeaux and Seaside were very good as well. There were also many snacks brought around to the pool during the day. You will certainly not go hungry! We also opted to do a romantic beach dinner for Valentines day, which was well worth the expense. Portions are a bit smaller, but we liked that as it enabled us to get several different appetizers to try and not be stuffed before a main course.

Beach/Pool/Entertainment- Pool area was very nice, never had a problem getting a chair or waiting for a drink. There was one cool pool and one warm pool near the swim up bar. The beach was absolutely gorgeous with super soft sand. We took several long walks to check out the surrounding areas, we could have gone on for hours. We generally didn't do any of the activities during the day but did check out some of the shows at night. We really enjoyed the fire show, the Cirque show, and Rock of Ages.

Excursions/Extras- We wanted to stay at the resort as much as possible, but did pick one day to do an excursion. We did Tulum Extreme and booked through the hotel and saw the Ruins, went ziplining, Rapelling, and snorkeling in the cenotes. Highly recommended. We also took advantage of the spa and booked a couples massage on the beach. The spa has an amazing outdoor hydrotherapy circuit you can take advantage of before or after, and excellent amenities and facilities. The massage itself was fantastic and very relaxing with the sound of the waves in the background. We did the photoshoot offered by the hotel and ended up being very happy with quite a few of our photos - I'd definitely recommend it.

Clientele - We are in our early 30s, and we did find that towards the beginning of our trip the crowd skewed quite a bit older. Towards the end of the week, we did notice a higher amount of young couples. Doesn't make too much of a difference unless you are looking for a party atmosphere, but we generally kept to ourselves. Everyone that we met was very nice.

Lastly - service was fantastic. From the waiters, to our concierge, to the bartenders - everyone at Secrets was happy to help you with a smile and all wanted to ensure an excellent experience.

All in all. we had an unforgettable week and Secrets absolutely lived up to its #1 rating. If you are at all on the fence, book it!

Room Tip: For ocean view, request 3d or 4th floor to get a view of the ocean. Lower floors would be obstructed...
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

In the need of sunny, warm breezy days, my GF and I returned to Playa del Carmen, a place we both enjoy and have visited numerous times. As is expected, the Secrets properties offer affordable luxury. Check-in and check-out are effortless and efficient. Our room was considered garden that overlooked a vacant property with minimal ocean viewing. Room was clean, fixtures dated but in good condition. Bedding was of high quality and comfort. Food preparation is very good; fresh local ingredients are used. Restaurants were well managed and provided pleasant experiences. Beaches and pool were perfect- no children (not hatin kids, just enjoy the fun of an all adult crowd)! Felt like daily activities were forced and slightly contrived however was not a deal breaker for us (possibly this staff was looking forward to their two week vacation at the end of our week). Overall, the service teams were accommodating and professional however "no rock stars". We took an all day excursion into Cozumel to snorkle some of the best reefs in the world. Plus truly had a great happy hour of really tasty food, cheap beer with local owner, his family and friends. Memorable. Also spent two evenings in Playa enjoying people watching, adult beverages and again some amazing local food. This property is perfect for couples- we met many from various points in USA as well as Ireland, France, England and our favorites, Brazil and Costa Rica.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Currently a guest at Maroma. Service is fantastic. Every employee finishes each sentence with a smile and " it's a pleasure. " 2 things that would never make me come back to this hotel. 1: the main pool facing the ocean is a landing pad for seagulls. When food comes out at noon gulls swoop down, and in my daughters case took the food right off her plate. Staff walk around and don't do anything about this. At one point I was fending the gulls off my chair with my hat; I felt like I was in an episode of Hitchcock's The Birds!
2: This resort is loud! Music blares full blast at the pool and beach. At the lovely French restaurant we couldn't talk because the Edith Piaf music on a continuous loop overrides conversation. The worst is at 11 at night piped music is still blaring outside my room and loud music from the live shows can be heard in my room ( even with ear plugs). Resort will have to do something about this. Good food and excellent service can't make up for these 2 major problems. The birds are over running this place. Never experienced anything so horrible by a pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just returned from two wonderful weeks at Secrets Maroma Beach. We've been to numerous all inclusive resorts in different countries and I must say this is the best all inclusive resort of ANY that we've stayed at ANYWHERE. It's an adults only resort and it suited absolutely every adult age group, which is very hard to do. It's small enough but not too small, with lots of gardens and greenery and minimal concrete. Every villa has an ocean view and has four floors with 8-10 suites per floor. Each has an elevator for those who aren't climbers anymore, and each has a concierge. The animal and bird life on the resort is fantastic. I could've just watched nature all day long. There's a family of Couti's ( about 40 ) living on the resort and they are fascinating to watch. So cute. And the birds are so beautiful they're stunning. There are 7 restaurants plus a beach grill, there's a bar every time you turn around, and they have not only swim up suites but also a lazy pool that you can play ping pong or sit at tables and play cards in the ankle deep water, plus a cold pool plus a heated swim up bar pool. There's even a miniature golf course, and a theater, darts, and billiards. There's always something going on during the day like beach volleyball, dance lessons, etc., or else you can find a nice peaceful spot instead. And there's scads of entertainment at night plus movies, and a nightclub for those that want to go well into the night. In spite of all this activity, the outside noise quit like clockwork every night by 10:30pm for those of us that want to hit the sack and be up early again the next day. That's us ... we'd had breakfast and were on the beach daily by 8:30am. No towel games allowed here .... they patrol and make sure all seats are available. It works out much better because you can get a palapa on the beach or an umbrella by the pool at any time of day. The resort is extremely clean and all the staff were so friendly and nice. We would go back to this resort a second time, which is something we never do. It was fabulous.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view. Preferred club will get you a villa closer to the beach .
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just back from a week's trip to Mexico where I stayed at the Secrets Maroma. Everything was simply great. There is a good choice of restaurants where you can find something for everyone. The all-inclusive adults only property is very well maintained. Rooms comfortable and spacious - jacuzzi in the bathroom. Access to beach is easy and the beach is really splendid. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Carlos - the concierge for our building even went and bought a pair of googles for me in town. Beware of the mosquitos, especially if you have a room that opens onto the private pool. There are not that many but they are ferocious. There is an on-site doctor available 24 hours. But rather expensive - I paid around 200 USD for a consultation and medicines. The hotel is about a 2.5 hour drive to visit the incredible Mayan archaeological site Chichen Itza. A big thanks to Samantha and all of her staff who made such an effort to take care of our group.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Galloway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband planned this surprise trip for our 40th wedding anniversary. We were welcomed with cool jasmine scented washcloths and champagne. Check in went well but our room was not ready yet. We enjoyed lunch and by the time we were done lunch, our room was ready. I must say at lunch we were handed dessert menus, I said no thank you, I told the waiter I saw cookies in the lobby and was going to have some of them instead. My coffee came and along with them two cookies. Need I say more. That was our service all week. The staff just about read your mind!
We then settled into our beautiful 4th floor room, took a walk and then attended a SuperBowl Party. The rest of the week was filled with leisure and fun. There are plenty of activities if you choose and if you just choose to relax and bum the staff will see to it that your every need, be it wonderful food or delicious drinks be served with a smile and when you say thank you, they tell you it is their pleasure and they all seem to really mean it.
We have been to a few all-inclusives but this is the first that the chefs, waiters and waitresses brought around hot food and hor d'oeuvres around the pool at lunch time.
Lucy at the pool was asking if we wanted our drinks replenished before our other ones were emptied. Jaime, our pool conceirge, was moving my umbrella, to help keep me shaded, when he saw the sun move, he moved the umbrella. What more could you ask for.
One day coming in from the pool or beach, Alberto, our building conceirge, asked how our day was and when I said I thought I may have gotten a little too much sun. He handed me a bottle of aloe. He also had our door decorated with a Happy Anniversary Banner and a chilled bottle of champagne in our room for us also.
The beach is beautiful, lounge chairs are very nice and not on top of each other. the wait staff, a lady and gentlman, I'm sorry, I don't remember their names were very attentive also.Towels were everywhere, never had to look for a towel, at the pool or beach. If some seaweed came on the beach, it was cleaned up.
My husband is not too adventurous in the food department, had a cheeseburger most days for lunch and when asked how he liked it, that is how he received it every day. Perfect. We ate in the seafood restaurant three nights and every night it was wonderful. The wait was never more than 15 minutes, just long enough to have a drink at the Sugar Reef. Not having to make reservations was great and the restaurants were open to 11:00 I think.
The shows in the evening were very entertaining. Our only complaint was at 10:30 when the shows were over, we were still ready to dance and party and the disco was a little (by about 20/25 years) too young for us, and the piano music, as beautiful as it was was not what we wanted either. The band was great for the shows, it was a shame they did not perform in the dance club or somewhere else at least one or two nights a week for us "rock and rollers". Their rendition of "All Night Long" was great and we would have loved to dance to them "All Night Long". I must say though that on the day we left, there was a Beatles Banner above the disco, so maybe we just left on the wrong day, but that would be our only criticism.
We hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: We were in1448 and the location was perfect! Close enough to the pool and beach and also close to th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!