“Bloody hell this place is great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Playa Maroma
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Bloody hell this place is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Wow wow wow, I have never travelled all inclusive before so I did not know what to expect, I thought it might be OK food with bad service. How wrong could I be, it was amazing, the staff never stopped smiling and plying us with drinks, the food was great and the beach is to die for. This place is the perfect chill out in the sun holiday spot. The pools are great, the sea is aquamarine and the rooms are lovely. Non stop eating and drinking in adult company, no children, without rowdy lager louts.
It is a large resort with 7 restaurants and numerous bars, the great thing is that no matter how many people are there you can always get sun beds and dinner places. There attention to detail and attitude is beautiful, all they want to do is help!
We will be back next year, what better recommendation is that!

Room Tip: Go for the garden view rooms, they are still lovely.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

6,541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,787)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful two weeks in late November at Secrets Maroma. This was the latest of several holidays we have spent in the Caribbean at adults-only AI hotels and it was easily the best.

The hotel is well laid out, not too big and very clean, and right on a really beautiful white sand beach.

Our room (2033) was well appointed and in a block next to the jungle so we got to see plenty of beautiful birds and wildlife. The bed was enormous, and the most comfortable we have had in a hotel. The room was kept very clean by our maid Patricia, and any help we needed was quickly provided by Alberto the concierge.

The food was really good, especially at the Italian, French and Chinese restaurants. In fact, all of the restaurants were good - we tried them all. Breakfast at the World Cafe each morning gave a big choice of foods - eggs, waffles, pancakes, cereals, pastries, hams, cheeses, fish, fruit; if you can't find a good breakfast there, then you are too fussy.

The Rendezvous bar was a great place for a drink or two before dinner, with top shelf liquour served with a smile.

The Barefoot Grill served the biggest (and tastiest) burgers we've ever seen, as well as salads, chicken, ribs and fish.

As has been mentioned in previous reviews, the staff here are outstanding. Special mention here for Edgar (World Cafe), Luiza & William (Portofino), Omar (El Patio), Alberto - who arranged a nicely decorated table and a cake for our anniversary- (Bordeaux) and Nelvia (who was always smiling and very efficient at the Rendezvous bar. Look out for these people because they can make your stay special. The management, we hope, looks after them.

Would we stay here again? Without a doubt!

Elmhurst, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Secrets Maroma for a quick, three-night vacation in early December. We had a great first impression - the service was always friendly and prompt, drinks were well made and easy to get, and the room was amazing. We got a preferred club ocean view, but were lucky enough to be put on the top floor of building 26. This ends up being on Ocean Front room without the additional cost!

We had the World Cafe buffet every day and it is fantastic. We tried both Bordeaux & El Patio, both were great as well. The room service is pretty lousy, but at least we got a great story out of it:

* Night 1: Ordered the "Napa Valley" turkey sandwich. Definitely received a ham and cheese, or what they call a "Barros Jarpa."

* Night 2: Ordered another Napa Valley, and had room service deliver it into our room. The waiter opened the tray, looked at the sandwich and said, "Napa Valley." No. For sure, another ham and cheese.

* Night 3: The final test. We ordered both a Barros Jarpa and Napa Valley. The 30 minute wait for it to appear in the secrets box was intense. We opened the plates - and - two ham and cheese sandwiches. We nearly died laughing. I'm guessing they don't have that sandwich anymore. This must be the "Secret."

The beach was perfect, the sand was nice and cool, easy to get a chair/bed by the beach and pool. If there's a loud wedding, the break them up around 11pm. All in all, it was a great first experience in Mexico. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon 21 Nov-6 Dec and couldn't have wished for a more memorable trip. We booked the most basic room in building 21 and had a great view of the jungle plus it was lovey and quiet, I wouldn't bother to pay more for a better room as it had everything we could have needed and for once it actually looked like the photos on their website!
The only slight issue with our room was that coffee/mini bar drinks weren't always replenished, but a quick call to concierge and within 5 minutes it was all sorted. Just a quick mention on the timeshare pitch, we were in reception the day after arrival and someone approached us to ask if we had collected our resort credits, I said we didn't want to sit through a sales pitch so we would leave it and they were absolutely mortified even offended that I had that impression of the hotel, even going as far to ask where I got that information from. In the end it took one minute to sign for them and that was that.
We were able to eat at all the restaurants and really enjoyed the Italian and seafood restaurant Oceana plus the theme nights were really good fun. The food is good quality considering the size of the resort and we never had any complaints. The drinks were great at the resort, cocktails were plentiful and tasted consistent and the house wine was very good.
The beach and pool areas are lovely, always plenty of loungers and we were never up early. The drinks service was good at both and although we didn't tip for every drink I didn't notice a difference in service.
We loved heading to the sports bar late afternoon for a few drinks and to play pool/darts/table tennis, great way to end the day and meet other guests.
The entertainment team were amazing, not sure how they always had the energy but they were good fun and weren't pushy at getting guests involved in the activities.
All in all this is a fantastic resort whether you like to keep busy or do nothing. The staff are a real credit to the hotel and nothing is too much trouble.
If you are in any doubt whether to book this hotel, just do it, you won't be dissapointed!

Room Tip: Basic jungle view rooms are excellent, wouldn't waste the money on upgrades
Granger, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We must have been there on an off week or something. Many occasions we encountered rude staff telling us no for trivial things (putting 2 tables together in an empty restaurant, moving empty untaken pool chairs to accommodate 8 together, asking for a 2nd beach towel, etc). The real killer for me happened at El Patio restaurant one night at dinner. We were inside in the back where its very dark when I felt something crawling on me. It was a small spider. I wiped it off but could not see where it landed on the table it so I grabbed my iphone flashlight. Upon shining it we discovered 50-60 small spiders crawling all over the table, I was shocked. The group at that point of course got up as we had not eaten yet and there was no way at that point. The staff rudely demanded we pay for the bottle of wine they had just opened for us, which by now had spiders on the glasses so we weren't touching them. No sorry, no anything. Unreal. I can say, no question I will never stay at another secrets. If you look at my profile you'll see I've been to over 20 Ai resorts and have never given a review like this. It doesn't matter how nice the grounds are, with a staff this rude and bugs near food, it's a must pass. Sorry.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I went for a wedding with 25 other people. I would not recommend a wedding here. It was low quality and poorly planned. The staff was unorganized and set my friend's dress on fire while trying to light sparklers during the day when it was raining. Who in their right mind thinks that is a great idea? After complaining to management about her ruined brand new dress, they gave her spa credit. One plus was the bride's hair and makeup was amazing. I also used the spa which was beautiful and relaxing. I don't recommend the facial, but the massage was good. The photographer took quality pics of the wedding and also other couples' sessions. The rooms were nice and clean. Beach is perfect. Staff is hit and miss. Bar service is slow and sometimes bars are closed during odd times or close while you are there. They should post their opening hours at the bar. I felt it was too slow and difficult to get a drink even at the wedding reception. The only bar open in the evening is in the lobby which is not air conditioned or the disco. Food is bad. I was expecting at least mediocrity. Buffet breakfast and the seafood by the pool was the best. Once I wanted a crepe during breakfast and the man told me the station was closed. Nice. Italian restaurant was horrible and couldn't get a reservation at all for the hibachi grill. My biggest gripe is that my camera was stolen from the water sports shack. There were 2 guys working there when I left my clothes with camera in the shorts pocket inside the shack and went kayaking for all of 15 minutes. When I returned, they had both gone out on a tiny sailboat. I still shed tears from the hundreds of pictures I lost from this trip and the past few months. Mad at myself for not loading all the pics on a computer first, but also mad at the management for lack of due diligence. They had me fill out paperwork, but I never heard from the manager who promised me he would speak to the staff and send me an email within 24 hours of my return. A month later, I sent an email again and never heard a thing. Don't go here. I am sure there are other quality establishments that would give you a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
West Milford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Having lived in California most of my young life I was never able to visit to visit Mexico. Who knew that 40 plus years later I would be visiting your Resort. This was a dream come true in more ways than one. Sharing in the joy of a young couples weddng I would be blessed in more ways than I would EVER have expected. The beauty of the Carribean was like being in heaven. The resort was magnificent. The services offered - all inclusive- was PHENOMINAL. Your staff - well - I just can't say enough, TOP - of the line. Pleasant, courteous, always smiling - always a hello- I could go on. I have recommended this dream come true resort already and will continue to do so- SMILING when I do. Thanks for he memories.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view- should I be fortunae enough to visit once again- this would be my #1 choice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!