“Best vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
“Best vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We enjoyed everything about this resort. The staff was great. And the food was amazing.

This resort was very accommodating. We were never disappointed.

There is honestly nothing bad I could say about this resort. We will def be coming back again.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,968)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a (way too short) week at SMB. We had read the reviews religiously prior to our stay and found the resort to be everything that we had hoped for it to be.

We spent our week on the beach and enjoyed the beautiful water, the spectacular service, and the variety of fruity beverages that were available. I asked the server to surprise me each time and eventually settled in on a few favorites (Miami Vice, Mango Tango, Jamaican Star.)

Our room was nice and we enjoyed receiving our turn down service with a printout detailing what all would be happening the next day. Little touches like that were not expected, but were certainly appreciated.

There is no way you can go hungry at SMB. There is something for everyone.

We did the Preferred Honeymoon Package and enjoyed all of the perks that came with it- massages, champagne breakfast, private dinner on the beach, but we agreed at when we return (and we will return!) we will just go with a regular room. We spent most of our time out of the room anyway!

We were impressed with the staff from the concierge to the wait staff and entertainment. They went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

We can't wait to return for our anniversary!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I went for four days and 3 nights. We were blown away by our experience! The service was over the top! Everyone was very nice and helpful. The food was fantastic. I have to eat Gluten Free and every restaurant was able to accomodate me and the wait staff was very knowledgable about what I could eat. They even make fresh Gluten Free bread which is a huge deal! Our favorite restaurants were the french one and the italian one.
We enjoyed the pools, the beach, the kayaks (free), the bars, and did an excursion to Tulum and snorkeling in a Cenote (highly recommend).
Our room was very big and clean with a great bed. My birthday was during our stay and they decorated our room with balloons, streamers and gave us a bottle of champagne. The level of service was totally amazing. You never wanted for anything and if you did want something you just had to ask and it would show up.
The secret drop box for room service was very convenient.
If you have to eat Gluten Free I highly recommend this resort! You will be able to eat and drink lots of amazing food!
The only down side was the TV. To change channels you always had to go back to the main menu. Overall we were more than satisfied with our stay!

Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Me and my partner have just returned to the UK after spending 19 nights at Secrets Maroma. This is our 6th time in the area and we were a little apprehensive as we were expecting high standards as have previously visited great resorts such as The Excellence, El Dorado e.t.c. This resort did not disappoint!

Overall, this hotel would be difficult to top. The food is of an exceptional quality, the staff are amazing, the beach is absolutley breath taking and the grounds are immaculate.

To begin,

We booked with purple travel - I would not recommend these to anybody! We booked about 12 days before we flew, seemed to get a good price. On arrival (after about 19 hours travelling, due to indirect flights and nightmare immigration at Cancun - which to be fair is normally fairly quick) we were told at reception that they did not have our reservation/booking. After about an hour of searching, their was still no booking - basically, they did not have clue who we were! Fortunately, the front desk/reception were really helpful and went out of their way despite not being registered. They let us stay and said that they would contact the agent (purple travel) as soon as they (being UK) were open. Well, after 2 days of desperate pleading from, both myself, my partner and the hotel, NO REPLY! I decided to make a few comments on their facebook and suddenly they responded! The hotel was fully booked and we were the minus 1! Massive mention and thankyou to Hector and Mr sergio on front desk as these two were the ones to enable us to stay. Not purple travel, who had the nerve to say we could travel to another hotel (which was about 2k cheaper) at no extra charge!! Madness! Anyway, enough ranting about some disgraceful excuse for a travel agency, I will talk you through this GREAT resort.

Beach - Out of this world!!!! By far the best we have seen in Mexico - or anywhere. White talc sand, Crystal turquoise waters...
Staff could not do enough for you. Nicosia and Hermilio would come and make your beds for you - position them in the sun/shade and lay towels out - they were fantastic!

Food - Exceptional. Quality fish, Chicken, duck, beef, veg - in fact everything!
We loved Himitsu, the French, The Italian and as a seafood lover I loved Oceana. The hotel was at full occupancy ad we barely had to wait to be seated at all over the 3 weeks.
Lunch was great. Particularly loved the seaside grill (Amazing Tuna). Waiter Antonio was espescially hard working, as was Manuel. To be fair all staff were fab!
Breakfast was good too. Great choice.

Bars/drinks - We tended to stay around the Lobby at night. Great waitress service - Lus and Nelvia were the best, you could not leave your seat without them rushing over to top your glass up. They were well on top! Other mentions to Erica and Lidia.
Drinks were very good. Good house wine and great cocktails and proper brands. Did not need to spend any extra on wine menu - other than my birthday where we ordered a special champagne.
In the day, we didnt go to any bar. We would relax on the amazing beach and get served by the waiters - They were amazing again,especially urbarno - would remember exactly what we both drank whether alcohol or not and be there befor you had even finished the last!!
There were always plenty of beds, all comfy, and were always spread out as was the pool! The only day when this differred was when there was a conference, mid-way through our holiday, and about 200 drunken American turned the place into a 'nicer' version of Benidorm (just for 1 day thankfully!)
(the beach is huge!)

Staff and service. Second to none. These are the most professional workforce I have ever seen! On top of everything. Every waitress/ waiter, bar tendor remember exactly what you like after about 2 days!!. After 19 nights they were basically setting the resort up for us - Ha!
Pablo and Hector at the French were great - really proffesional! Edgar at the Italian the same. Victor and Alexandro at the seafront restaraunts were also very efficient and professional. Flavio and crew at Himitsu were the same - we ordered literally what we wanted (multiple dishes e.t.c). Edgar the World cafe, manager, was our best friend on the resort, Exceptional and personable,
Also, although we did not really partake in much of the entertainment I have to mention the two Manuels. They were both adorable, very friendly and really good fun!
All the staff we witnessed were gorgeous. Genuinely lovely, hard working and a pleasure to be tended by.

Pools/Grounds - Beautiful. Not really a pool person but they looked immaculate as did the grounds. Staff always maintaining gardens e.t.c

Overall, this hotel is hard to beat. thouroughly enjoyed our time and could of easily stayed another week - that would just have been greedy!
As I mentioned this was our 6th time to Riviera Maya. We will be returning. Any questions please mail me

Thankyou Secrets Maroma. Youy were Wonderful

Greeley,CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed November 22-29,2012. This was our second trip to this Hotel and our 9th trip to Mexico. The Hotel is on the nicest beach that we know of in Mexico. You can walk barefoot for at least 2 miles in both directions. The Hotel is clean and the staff is better than most. Now here is the reason why I didn't give it 5 stars. We ran out of hot water in our room 2 times, I woke up with bites on my ankles twice (bed bugs?), you have NO privacy on your balcony as the room next door can look onto yours, there is high pressure to upgrade your wine at dinner, we got resort coupons but you are only allowed to use a part of them for any purchase--for instance you get $40 in wine upgrades and can only $10 at a time, plus any upgraded wine is at least $30. My complaint about this BEACH resort was that they are trying to contain all beach users in a certain area. We moved our chairs a little closer to the water one day and the resort beach attendee (Nazi) told us we had to move back behind some imaginary line. Another day he moved our chairs while we went for a walk. We love the beach but don't want to be crammed in like sardines. The grounds at this resort also need a lot of work--lots of areas with no plants/flowers/grass.

Room Tip: We had a room with a jacuzzi on the patio but there was no privacy from the room next door so we nev...
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Secrets Maroma Beach: there are no words. It is just fabulous. The resort is gorgeous, and the staff was simply awesome. Such very very kind and thoughtful people! My daughter got married on the beach there, and it was the most beautiful wedding I have ever seen. Secrets attended to every detail, and did an exceptional job. Twenty two of us were in attendance and every person who attended had the time of their lives. The food and drinks, too, are unequaled.

Thank you for such a wonderful experience and for such precious memories!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My wife and I just returned from 9 wonderful nights from Secrets Maroma Beach feeling rested and pampered. We spent months spent eagerly anticipating our trip (and reading Tripadvisor reviews) and we were not disappointed.

From being greeted upon arrival (I didn't think the drive in was nearly as bad as some have mentioned) by a team of staff to having several staff come up to us during our last few hours there to bid us farewell, I can honestly say that I have never stayed anywhere where the staff have left such a lasting impression. The entertainment staff, however, are really the ones who make this resort truly shine. Lorena, Diana, Willy, "Elvis", "Black Diamond", "Harry Potter", "Bambi", and the other entertainment staff are exemplary at what they do and know exactly how to engage the guests to maximize the fun and "Secrets experience". Like every other all-inclusive, Secrets Maroma has a variety of activities to appeal to guests with different tastes and activity levels. From bocce ball on the beach, beach volleyball, kayak races, guacamole making lessons, and the ever-present pool volleyball (to name just a few)...it has it all. What it doesn't have, however, is staff who are pushy and make you feel bad if you opt out of participating in activity X. The staff are encouraging but not overbearing with 'fun' the main theme that permeates everything they do. They go out of their way to get to know you and by the time you leave, whether it's after a long weekend or two weeks, you leave feeling like you were a valued part of the experience.

The food was as we expected. Having visited their sister resort, Dreams Puerto Vallarta, in December 2010 we knew what was in store, as the restaurants are the same. Was it truly 5* like one would expect at a restaurant where you'd pay a few hundred bucks for a dinner out? No...but that would be near impossible to pull off for a resort this size with the amount of food they turn out and I would hope that people's expectations would be adjusted accordingly. The food was, however, exceptionally good in taste, presentation, portion size, and overall quality for an all-inclusive. The choices at each a la carte are impressive and the buffets, whether breakfast, lunch, or dinner, had a wide assortment of items that should appeal to anyone. As many have mentioned, the teppanyaki table at Himitsu is a 'must do' and was a great show. I should note that I emailed to reserve the 'show' about 2 weeks in advance and received a confirmation reply within 20 minutes...that blew me away. Our favourite restaurant, however, was Portofino (Italian). Of the nine nights we chose to go their twice and both times left there commenting how our meals were exceptional. The outdoor grill by the pool has good variety (ribs, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, fresh fish, and other buffet-style items) and if you don't like that or get bored (it's the same every day) just order something different from one of the wait staff or throw on a shirt, escape the sun for an hour, and sit down in the grill restaurant that is literally only 30 feet from the pool and offers a wide selection of food. Reading reviews for months and looking at photos, we knew about the Saturday 'parade of chefs' but words cannot truly describe the culinary experience that takes place. I'll let you do your own research on this...but be forewarned: Be poolside for lunch on Saturdays.

The room we stayed in (4th floor ocean view in building 15) was excellent. I emailed the resort several weeks in advance to confirm our booking and was told that rooms were not guaranteed but they would do everything possible to accommodate our request. That had me a bit concerned but I brought (as I would assume everyone would but perhaps not) our booking documents and getting the room we wanted (and booked) was no issue at all. The room was well appointed (having a Nespresso machine is an excellent touch) but there were a few very minor issues. Hot water was a bit lacking for showers and shaving. I didn't mind because I didn't exactly want scalding hot water on my ever-increasing sunburn but the option for a 'hot' shower would have been nice. We're not fussy about turn down service since I'm going to mess the bed up anyways when I sleep on it but it was done every night. I could care less about towel art and don't expect it (even if I tip...which I did)...we didn't get any at all.

The grounds of the resort are exceptionally well maintained and my wife and I commented to each other several times that it seemed like they have more staff than guests some times. There is always a staff member close by to help you or get you something. The wait staff around the pool are very hard working (some more than others) and not once did it seem like they expected any tips. We tipped regularly, especially for exceptional service, and saw some do the same and some people not at all. The drinks were very good and if you wanted more all you had to do was ask. If you want a specific brand of liquor...just ask for it.

The beach, as most everyone mentions, is amazing...'nuff said.

The ambiance around the pools, despite the resort being at capacity, was quite subdued and relaxing. There's no loud music (the jazz in the early afternoon on some days is great to have a siesta to) and even with a few boisterous groups of friends it didn't at all resemble what some other resorts do. Age groups of guests range from early 20's up to people in their 70's and beyond. We had dinner one night with young honeymooners and a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary...very cool.

The pools are great and everyone who reads reviews here already knows that the infinity pool (not really as 'infinity' as it could be but that's OK) is 'cold' (or "refreshing" as I referred to it) and the 'main' pool is 'warm'. They're just different is all and each have their pro's and con's.

If we could make one suggestion to the resort it would be to have designated 'no smoking' areas outside. There was no smoking inside (which is how it should be) but outside, especially around the pool, it would be nice if there were areas either designated for smoking or non-smoking. Additionally, there is a lovely outdoor patio with chairs/tables outside on a deck off the lobby that is a smoking area. It would be great if non-smokers or those who wish not to breathe in smoke while they enjoy a pre- or post-dinner drink could enjoy that as well. A small thing like this would truly make this a 5* experience in my opinion.

It was a wonderful trip and we were sad to leave. We will, however, look forward to returning with the hope that many of the same staff are there to share our next vacation with us.

Buenos Dias!

"Ines" and "Lalo"

Traveller Tips:

- The birds, specifically the "Great-Tailed Grackle" (black bird resembling a small crow), are up at the crack of dawn and they can be LOUD. So bring ear plugs to throw in if you want to sleep in a bit.

- One thing about the restaurants and pool-side eating is that outdoors the birds (Grackle's and small seagull-type birds) are waiting for the moment you step/swim away from your food. They swoop down like something out of Hitchcock's movie and avian chaos ensues. It's impossible to miss this yet people still leave their plates out, oblivious to what's about to happen. Either have the wait staff clean up or walk the 50' to take your plate back...not that hard. At the World Cafe the Grackle's are like stealth fighters swooping in, despite nets to keep them out, grabbing what they can. There's not much more staff could do...just watch where you sit lest you get bird poop on your lovely sun dress like a woman at a neighbouring table did...ugh.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!