“Fabulous Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Fabulous Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

If you want a resort in the Riviera Maya that has it all - this is it! Great service from every employee, one of the best beaches in the world, all the rooms are suites (the view just changes) and wonderful food in restaurants that do not require a reservation. This was a return visit for my husband and I and we loved it more this time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,061)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

This was our first time in an all-inclusive and our first time in the Caribbean and we LOVED IT. Where do I start? When you arrive you are immediately greeted with a glass of champagne and check-in is a quick procedure if you don’t get diverted by the time-share folks (very hard not to). To those complaining about the road to the resort, you need to remember that you are not in the U.S. Less developed countries have less developed roads – deal with it. Also, the beach is gorgeous and if you notice the resort is much more secluded than the others.

I have to say I was initially disappointed with their room categorization. We were upgraded to a room with an ocean-view; however, if that was an ocean-view I’d have been very disappointed with a partial-ocean view. In the ocean-view room, you could BARELY see the ocean. Fortunately, regardless of the lack of ocean-view, the view was still lush and beautiful and the balcony very comfortable so it was easy to forget that there was no ocean-view. The room was gorgeous. The canopy bed was AMAZING: so comfortable and the gauzy linen was very romantic. The room had a DVD player, which was nice. The bathroom had beautiful double sinks, a separate shower and tub and a separate toilet. The bathroom was very well thought out and comfortable. My only suggestion, since the bathroom was so amazing overall, would be to add a rain shower showerhead like they have in the spa. Other than that, the shower and bathroom were fantastic. We also really appreciated the secret box and free room service.

The service at the pool and beach was amazing. We’re not big drinkers so we were very satisfied with the selection available. The only complaint we had, which is in no way the fault of resort, was with the clientele at the pool. There were quite a few rowdy newlyweds there. We are no longer newlyweds, but are still relatively young (in our 30s) so it’s not a difference in age that I’m critiquing. They were rowdy! However, the beach was quieter for the most part.

The beach was absolutely amazing. I have been to beaches around the world from France to the Middle East to Hawaii to the Carolinas and all over the Pacific Coast and I have never been to a more beautiful and serene beach. The sand was soft and cool to our feet even though the weather was in the 80s. The water was calm and crystal clear. The only negative was getting stung by a jellyfish. However, the water was so amazing, that after a quick panic, we jumped back in. How could we not? We ended up spending a lot of time in the ocean around dusk, which was beautiful.

The entertainment was a bit cheesy, but in a rather cute and charming way. I especially liked the bonfire and concert on the beach. The fire show was also very nice. The food was very good. The French restaurant was our favorite with the steakhouse coming in just behind. The Grill by the pool was fun. The spa was amazing. It was a very high-caliber facility as was the resort overall. Very impressive!

Room Tip: In the future, I would try for an ocean-front room. The swim-out rooms didn't look like they ha...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I visted SMB for our 1 year anniversary 10/7/11-10/13/11. We both received the same quality of service that others who have written positive reviews experienced. From the moment you check in to the moment you check out of the resort it is an A+++ experience. EVERYONE working at the resort is friendly and welcoming. Please do tip the bartenders, especially those (Erik) working at the swim-up bar at the main pool area and those bringing you drinks to your lounge chair on the beach. They work really hard and provide fast-paced service. Alot of them live an hour from the resort and take the bus to get to work and back home. They are very dedicated and enjoy their work to provide good service. We had a swim-up room which we highly recommend. The view is an awesome thing to wake-up to in the morning. Only complaints: we were in bldg 23....elevators were right outside of our room. It was VERY loud starting at around 5am every morning with roomservice carts being wheeled up and down. This can be remedied by just requesting another bldg. We did have occassional issues with the water temp in our shower. Seemed to be at peak shower times when couples were getting ready for dinner. We are pretty laid back so we never made an issue of it. We just waited to take our showers. It was both of our first times to experience all inclusive. I'd already prepared myself for not being real impressed with the food (based on other reviews.) We did experience what others did. I would not waste your time going to the mexican restaraunt at all. Breakfast and lunch buffets at the World Cafe are your best options (we found this out the last day, of course.) There are just more choices and the food is actually pretty good. We had italian twice and loved it. The last night we were there, the resort went all out and created "Mexican Fiesta Night". This was amazing and I hope you have the opportunity to experience it! They took over a part of the resort to recreate an actual night in Mexcio. There were endless amounts of mexican food buffet style. You walked in and they handed you a tequila shot in a hand-painted shot glass souvenir and a marguerita. The entertainment was traditional mexican dancers, music, comedians, etc. I can't say enough about this event!! That was then followed by a live band and bombfire on the beach. Very romantic, we loved it. We will be back for sure next year.
P.S. Schedule your transfer service to and from the hotel with a reputable company. Read reviews or ask your travel agent and have them book it. (We used Olympus Tours and it was flawless.) The reason I mention this is because there are men swarming at the airport trying to influence you to go with them, telling you they will give you a cheaper ride (if you booked with an agent, you already paid for the service and don't need a cheaper deal.) DO NOT GO WITH ANY OF THEM IT IS A DANGEROUS SCAM. My husband started following one of them because they told him they were part of Olympus----and luckily I had read the reviews to watch out for them. Olympus and the other respectful companies have to wait outside of the actual airport (not sure why?) BUT, they are right out front as soon as you walk out of the airport.

Room Tip: Choose a building other than bldg 23. Very loud. Elevators are outside of your room.
Williamstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

One of the greatest vacation of my life. We booked our vacation and did include the prefered club(well worht it)....only about a 1/2 hr from the airport which was real nice. My wife and I received a very warm welcome and was escorted to the main lobby and explained the golf cart would be back to take us to VIP check in. Once seated at the bar we were offered a cold towel and asked what type of drink we would like. Seconds later the drinks arrived and before I knew it we were escorted back outside to our golfcart and talen to VIP check in. I was told no need to worry about the luggage it would be in the room or getting to the room the same time we would. Once again in VIP check in was greeted by WELCOME HOME....and offered a 2nd cool towel. The employees went out of there wau to say hello and to make sure we were comfortable. We were asked if we would to upgrade our room and we declined and was escorted to our room. Sure enough the luggage was getting to the room the same time we did....The room was clean and very nice .....a few minutes later a knock at the door and a employee by the name of Carlos intoduced himself and was sorry he was not here to greet us..Room #2625....He did everthing I asked of him my entire stay as he was the concierge....We stayed from 10/09/11----10/14/11.......

Everything in the resort was clean and I can't believe how friendly the staff was not once did I walk by someone without them saying hello.....

The service here was off the hook.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife did get bit by mosquitoes a few times ...your in a jungle for the most part .....

The food was good ...if your a big eater I suggest stuffing your self at the breakfast buffet and again at lunch time....the dinner portions are good and don't leave you feeling fat.....
For the lazy man you don't even need to leave your seat while at the pool they bring food around during lunch....you have to see to believe it......If I had to list one bad thing ..it was my steak at the steak house it was par ........but other wise the food was good.

They did ask us about a time share thing and we did look into it ......You have to eat breakfast anyway.....No one was pushy about it but we did recieve a free diiner on the beach for two for listening the speach ...over all it took about 2 hrs time.....

We would go back in a second ........I could keep writing about how great a time it was but this is enough

Room Tip: I would highly recomend the prefered club check in and the junior suite...
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Beach: amazing. White sand, warm clear water
Food: amazing. Excellent variety, service, quality
Grounds: amazing. Lots to do do, very clean and professional
Staff: very friendly and service oriented
Preferred Club: high pressure sales pitch to buy a timeshare. When I said "no", she kept at it until I got up and walked out.
Bottom line: I go on vacation to relax. Not to deal with a sales person. Especially when I pay a premium for "preferred service".

Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful resort for 14 days - flew from Manchester on 22nd August, 2011. After so much research into planning and booking our holiday, we found this all inclusive Gem and based on the incredible reviews..we took the plunge!

What can I say after all that has been said about this place...I just don't think that I can add anything more positive if I tried....absolutely no negatives whatsoever and if you do read any then I guess there is just no pleasing some folks...just a few words then......

Resort - beautiful, calming ambience, fabulous rooms (all of them), incredible beach and sea (no stones/rocks just velvety sand underfoot), gorgeous grounds and perfectly laid out.

Pool areas - wonderful and perfect with service to match.

Beach - amazing beach lovers paradise.

Rooms - Spot on, clean and huge with the added luxury of the Secrets Box...plus incredible room service.

Restaurants - All brilliant...the food is exceptional. World Cafe breakfast is to die for!

Service - The best service we have ever experienced in our lives. Every member of staff goes out of their way to ensure you are treated so well. Memorable staff for me are Edgar (head waiter at the World Cafe) whose beautiful manner and respectful ways will stay with me for as long as I live, Yuri at the World Cafe (fantastic fun guy) and the lovely Freddie (World Cafe waiter), Juan at the Bordeaux, just wonderful.

We have never returned to the same resort twice, but we have already booked for next year - do not be in any doubt about SMB resort....this is the best holiday choice we have ever made!!

Room Tip: There is no bad room. Personally, I wouldn't choose a swim out room as it offers less privacy.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach 9/25-10/2 2011. Everything was wonderful. The only things I "disliked" were things that the resort couldn't help, like the moquitos and birds. But other than that... everything was excellent! To any 20 something's going on your honeymoon- you will love this place. We tipped pretty well, so of course we got wonderful service and the bartenders remembered us by name. That was a nice touch. Eric & Alfredo were amazing bartenders. Freddy was also great, he works at the Itailan restraunt. He gave us the best service we've every had.. anywhere. This was our first stay at an AI resort, we were not dissapointed.
I think the price was just right, we booked almost a year ahead of time. I would love to go back. I think anytime we go on vacation and there is a Secrets there, we will be staying there.

To anyone thinking of staying here, please stay. You won't regret it. The beach is by far the best beach i've ever seen. The toilets may not be made out of gold, but if you can afford that, then obviously you just need to go buy your own resort. (by the way their toilets paper smells like baby powder... weird, but awesome!) haha.

Anyways heres a shorter review:
Room- Great (took the bath about 45mins to fill up though)
Room service- Outstanding
Pools- Great
Beach- Breathtaking
Drinks- YUMMY :)
Food/restraunt- Tasty, a little fancy for my liking... but yummy non-the less.
Spa- Great. WELL worth the money
Entertainment- GREAT. Go to a show.

Overall... great place to stay.

P.s. The little racoon things walking around are harmless.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2442. Great location. Close to the beach & the restraunts. AWESOME VIEW.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!