“Yo Mama” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
New Hampshire
“Yo Mama”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have been to Mama D's twice for breakfast and the best thing here is that we got to meet the local people who come in for breakfast. It is not hard to cook a good egg so rating them on the food is not going to happen from me. Service is slow, but who cares..... I am on vacation to...

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We found ourselves at Mama D''s more often than not during the week we were in town. I love their breads and the blueberry cake is a true delight. My fiance really enjoyed his waffle and it looked yummy. I got breakfast sandwiches both days and they were really quality. The fruit bowl was fresh and appetizing. Our servers were all sweet and efficient. I wish I could go there for breakfast every day.

Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“You'll Love It or Hate It”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Here's the first giveaway of Mama D's. In a tourist town, Mama D's doesn't accept any credit cards. So if you're traveling and do as I do, i.e., keep my cash in my pocket for unexpected occurrences, avoid Mama D's. Aside from that, most everything about Mama D's is a bit whacko. The menu, for example, charges you for breakfast by the egg (different price for second egg in omelet than second fried or scrambled egg - go figure). A lot of the menu isn't clear, so you're going to get a surprise if you don't grill the waitress as to what you are actually going to get. And, speaking of the waitress, she didn't know what half & half was. Turns out, mama D's doesn't serve half & half, only 2% milk, not even whole milk. What's going on here? Here's what. Some businesses are in business to offer what customers want. Mama D thinks she knows what you SHOULD want, and offers ONLY that. The food was mediocre, and, for my money, I prefer to breakfast where the menu offers up typical breakfast fare instead of piece by piece, and I want my latte breve (made with half & half). My partner couldn't even get a latte made with whole milk. And, by the way, you have to serve yourself your own cup of coffee from urns placed out for that purpose along with an urn marked "milk" - don't ask, I didn't. Both trips to get coffee produced a plaintive gurgle and I had to wait while they replaced the urn with a fresh one. The second time, they didn't have the coffee at all. Mama D's is not my cup of tea - or should I say, coffee.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Park Ridge, Illinois
“Casual, Pleasant, Good Variety”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is our "go to" place for light breakfast or for light lunch. You can get a "big" meal also but we tend to eat light. Friendly, Pastries are outstanding.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“More hype than substance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is great, a porch with rocking chairs for your morning coffee, inside you're surrounded by art and literature, a nice setting. I bought pastries to go. The pastries a far cry from home made and tasty. There is nothing special that you can not buy at a fraction of the cost from Hannafords. I've asked for croissant and she asked me if I wanted toasted. A big no no for croissants. Besides being expensive, they were most likely Sysco bulk distribution food. Although you can a decent breakfast at this place I would not recommend it for pastries.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere