“Website Misleading” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Linekin Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boothbay Harbor
Linekin Bay Resort
You added Linekin Bay Resort to your Saves list
92 Wall Point Rd, Boothbay Harbor, ME 04538   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buffalo, New York
“Website Misleading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

In this review, I am going to give you the good, the bad, and the ugly.

1. Good- The fee you pay includes sailing lessons, as well as full access to any of their sail boats. A wonderful opportunity to experience Linekin Bay and Boothbay Harbor from a completely different perspective. Just remember, that sailing is weather permitted, and being on the coast, there is no way to tell how good the weather will be.

2. Good- The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Anytime you ran into a STAFF MEMBER, they really cared and wanted to help. We even went on a hike with their local guru and he was fantastic!

3. OK- Food was alright, but I found many wonderful alternatives in Boothbay Harbor. If you do stay at this resort, just make sure you don't miss the LOBSTER BAKE for lunch. Probably the best meal the resort served all week and hardly anyone showed up. Truthfully, it's more home cooking, and everything is buffet style.

3. Bad- Management was a little different experience. While Mark and Roxanne were somewhat helpful and very friendly, anytime I dealt with Gary he would always look up at you as if he had something better to do. He was very intimidating and didn't really seem to care what your issue was.

4. UGLY- The website is VERY VERY MISLEADING. The quality of the rooms are not what you would expect if you. I have made subcategories to describe problems we had below.

a. Cabins are dirty when we arrived- Even the curtains were gross. I think one had blood on it.
b. If you are bringing pets, they can not be in the room when cleaning staff arrives that day, or else they will not clean your room or reschedule the cleaning.
c. Windows are terribly old and most screens are broken.
-If you're staying in the woods, you need working screens on the windows.
d. No air conditioning
e. Pool is never clean and their is no filter
-It is a salt water pool so this may be a factor
f. Poor atmosphere- Nothing is really painted, and they never seem to cut the grass. It's like they don't really care how it looks.
g. No REAL locks on cabin doors. They have a latch that you can lock while you are in the cabin, but that's it. When you are gone for the day, you're valuables are at risk (including pets).

Please keep in mind that I paid this place almost $3,000 for the week and only got to sail for one day (I think the money must go towards maintaining the sailboats because they clearing don't maintain anything else). If you do speak to management or look at their website, they say that the resort is NOT THE RITZ. Well let me tell you, IT'S NOT EVEN A LA QUINTA. In fact, you may even want to considering staying at a Microtel instead. Unless you can guarantee sailing everyday, I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
linekinbayresort, General Manager at Linekin Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I was disappointed by this review, and also very surprised. During all my interactions with this couple, they never voiced a single complaint. They had nothing but positive things to say and had they raised concerns on site, we would have addressed them immediately. I am grateful that they mentioned what they enjoyed about their time at Linekin, but I wish they had given us the chance to make any changes that would have enhanced their experience by discussing issues with us during their stay.

I hope my response will be helpful in clarifying some of the points that were raised in this review.

Management. Garry has been Assistant General Manager for 4 years, and he is extremely conscientious and hard-working. I witnessed Garry’s interactions with these guests, including when Garry replaced the toilet seat in their cabin that they had broken and when they asked for a late check-in for a guest of theirs. Both times, he was accommodating and friendly, and the guests seemed not only satisfied but appreciative.

Cleaning. In their review the guests did not mention that they had two dogs that they described as follows ---“One is very sweet, but the other will eat your housekeepers.” In cases such as this, when the safety of our staff is involved, we ask guests (as we did repeatedly with this couple) to establish a time that the dog will not be in the cabin and give that information to the cleaning staff. This couple chose not to do this, and although our housekeepers are eager to please, we do not require them to return to a cabin throughout the day to see if an unfriendly dog is out.

Cabins. They are rustic but comfortable, and the pictures in our gallery and interactive resort map are as accurate as we can make them. However, a long stretch of rainy weather derailed some of our exterior painting plans which have now gone forward

Screens. The screens in this cabin were not a good fit for the and I certainly understand why the guests were not happy to have ill-fitting screens, but again, I wish they had reported the problem to us while they were here. When it was brought to our attention, we replaced the screens that same day.
Air conditioning. With the exception of one cabin there is no a/c, which is very common for Maine. Most cabins have ceiling or standing fans. The temperature at night is typically cool and pleasant, especially for rooms and cabins on the ocean.
Pool. Our pool is very clean. The water is pumped in from the ocean, filtered and treated with chlorine and other standard pool chemicals. It is serviced by a local pool company weekly and cleaned daily by staff. There were two days when pollen was blowing and falling on the surface of the pool, but that is a rare exception.
Atmosphere. We have lovely gardens and a nice broad lawn. A stretch of rain in June made cutting the grass on a regular basis difficult, but hardly worth a complaint. As for painting the wooden structures, it is ongoing and never-ending at a large (20 acre) property directly on the sea. Most people accept the authentic weathered feel as “part of the territory”, yet we continue to paint to protect our accommodations throughout the spring, summer, and fall seasons.
Food. Due to dietary restrictions and food preferences (gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, vegan, and so forth), we now serve all meals buffet style. Most of our guests enjoy this type of dining as they can select their own meal plan and portion size. However, we also offer full table service for guests who prefer not to serve themselves.
Cost: To be accurate, this couple paid $2,211.30 for a 7 night all-inclusive stay, including taxes and fees. Their bar charges and a friend who stayed for two nights brought their total bill to just over $2,800, but their base cost was $135 a day per guest plus taxes and fees. This included accommodations with daily housekeeping, three generous meals a day, private sailing lessons (a 2 to 3 hour private sailing lesson typically costs $160 to $240 elsewhere), kids’ camp, conducted nature walks, and use of all amenities including tennis courts (clay and asphalt), kayaks, stand up paddle boards, ping-pong, shuffleboard, heated pool, two piers and deep water docks for fishing, and our fleet of sixteen Rhodes 19 sailboats. Many of our guests who return year after year find this a good value.
We seek to provide an authentic Maine coast experience at an affordable price, but we are not for everyone. Feedback and reviews of the last several years give a good feel for who we are and what we offer. But perspectives differ, of course, so I am happy to address any concerns and personally answer all questions from people considering a stay with us on Linekin Bay. On behalf of the management, I want to say that all of us at Linekin care deeply about maintaining this historic place, and for many of our guests, it is a precious refuge and a place to make family vacation memories summer after summer.
– Mark Osborn, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Elmira, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here for a friend's weekend wedding celebration and had an amazing time. The manager, Mark, was great to talk to and was very helpful during the weekend. We stayed in one of the lodges with friends from college and had an excellent time. The food was great, our room was comfortable and offered commanding views of the bay and the ocean beyond. While not a "luxury" resort in the traditional sense, the rustic charm of the cabins and lodges made it hard for us not to leave after the weekend was over. Many thanks to Mark and his amazing staff for a weekend that we will not soon forget.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mashpee, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

LIke many other fans of Linekin Bay Resort, my husband and I return every year. This is NOT the place for travellers who want "luxury" accomdations. Yes, the decor is dated and the buildings are a bit run down - but who cares? If you appreciate a peaceful setting, good food, good company, sailing and kayaking, then Linekin is perfect for you. There are many wonderful nearby attractions - the spectacular Maine Botanical Gardens, several conservation areas with walking trails, some great stores/galleries in downtown Boothbay, whale watches and wildlife cruises, scenic Ocean Point (gorgeous sunsets), the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland, the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, etc. Another plus: you can take day trips to Monhegan Island, Portland, Camden/Rockport, and Acadia National Park. (For first-time visitors, I suggest staying at Linekin Bay Resort for a long weekend - see if it's right for you.)

Room Tip: The cabins near the water have great views. Linwood Lodge offers the most modern room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Raymond, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This review is a little late as I stayed at Linekin Bay Resort in August of 2011. I would not go back. Judging from recent reviews, issues remain.

When I arrived, I felt I'd been conned. First of all, the word "resort" is a misnomer. Management likes to claim that the name refers to the fact that it's all inclusive like the old-time resorts that largely don't exist anymore, but the fact is those old "resorts", while not fancy, were clean and maintained. Vacationers who stayed at Linekin Bay Resort years ago would not tolerate current conditions. Linekin Bay Resort is a collection of run-down, rust-invaded, mold-covered, carpet-stained cabins and lodges that the owner and managers hide from potential customers. The website does not include any honest photographs of the cabins and, instead, touts the all-inclusive aspects, including dining and activities.

The ocean setting is beautiful. It, and the sailing on Rhodes 19 boats, were the reasons we chose to pay more than we normally would for a vacation. When we stayed there, however, few of the sailboats were in great condition. Most were missing parts and in need of fixing. On a day that included a sailboat race, returning guests knew which of the few intact boats to request. The "kid's cabin" was a run-down, messy cabin full of junk where few kids ventured. The ping pong table and other "toys" were broken.

Mark responds to criticism by sarcastically informing guests that they can stay at hotels along the coast if they want identical rooms in hotels with no character. It is disingenuous to suggest that guests who are critical of this place are not worldly enough to "understand" the charming character of Linekin Bay Resort. I have stayed in many "rustic" places that were in better shape and it was clear that that's what I was getting before I plunked down my hard-earned money.

To present Linekin Bay Resort as a classy waterfront resort of yesteryear and expect guests to be thrilled when they encounter tenement conditions upon their arrival is ludicrous!

I know the family has been trying to develop the property into a condominium resort complex, which is probably why it's reluctant to spend money on maintenance, but it's unfair to customers to provide substandard accommodations to save money. I suggest that Linekin Bay Resort be honest about its state and charge less, or fix the place up while waiting for the economy to improve enough to develop the property.

Bath, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A true, old school Maine resort with a REAL character. Set in the woods on a beautiful granite point on the coast of Maine. Pretty hard to find, but worth every minute. If you are expecting a cookie cutter high end resort, forget it. If you want great food, a beautiful setting, interesting people and discovering what Maine was like in the 1960s, this is the one...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

In 2009 I wrote a review of this resort on Tripadvisor and titled it, "We Had the Time of Our Lives." That review was written after our first summer vacation at Linekin Bay Resort, and I ended my comments by vowing that our family would return every year because we enjoyed it so much. Well, just a few days ago we returned from our 4th consecutive summer vacation at LBR. Four years is a drop in the bucket compared to the devotion of many guests who have vacationed there for decades. Every year the place becomes more magical and our attachment to it continues to grow.
My husband and I have three daughters, ages 11, 7 and 6. The first time we visited LBR, two of our kids were in diapers and one sat in a high chair, and we had the time of our lives. As the years go on, our summers at the resort just get better and better.
It's important to note that the unique experience offered at Linekin Bay Resort will not be appreciated by everyone, a fact made clear by the disparate comments in this review section. To give you some background on our style, I should mention that our family travels frequently, at least four vacations a year, often as part of my husband's work. In the past two years we have experienced two Club Med resorts (good values if you like a lot of entertainment), Maui's Westin Ka'anapali Resort (which is managed by my sister), a Celebrity cruise around the Caribbean (family obligation, not fond of cruises), the Rose Farm Inn on Block Island (charming, couples only), several large hotel resorts in Florida (Disney) and California (San Diego, San Francisco), and the Aventura Spa Palace in the Yucatan. All of these trips were very nice, but nothing compares to a week at our beloved Linekin Bay Resort. When we drive onto that property and breathe in the fresh, extra-salty air, all of our cares melt away. And every year when we pull our packed minivan away from the waterfront and head for home, we all shed a tear or two. It's always hard to leave.
So why do we love it so much? Why is it that the little things that seem to bother some reviewers, things such as spiders, sagging porches and "exhaustion fans" (whatever that means) seem utterly charming to those of us who love it there? It's true that the cabins aren't "renovated," but we don't want renovated when we stay in a cabin. If we wanted marble bathrooms and carpeted floors and key cards we'd check into the nearest Hilton. We go to Maine to stay in a cabin that was built in the 1940s with someone's bare hands, with wood floors and ceilings, cozy quilts, windows we keep open all night, and no electronics. We don't want chemicals and pesticides that keep spiders away, we want to experience nature. We want "Little House on the Prairie" but with hot running water and electricity.
All-inclusive resorts are especially gratifying for us, because the expense and hassle of trying to find a restaurant three times a day where everyone will enjoy something to eat, pulling out the credit card and figuring the tip - or the alternative, shopping and cooking in a rented vacation home - all will quickly turn a relaxing vacation into drudgery, especially for parents.
At Linekin, we waltz into the dining hall in shorts and flip-flops, take in a breathtaking view of the bay, and enjoy something delicious to eat within minutes of sitting down. Scallops, lobster, shrimp rolls, pulled pork, eggs benedict, pancakes, pumpkin ravioli, halibut ... these were just some of the choices available during our recent stay.
The children at the resort usually eat quickly and then run outside to play tag on the lawn, while their parents linger over meals and talk with each other or with the other guests. Adirondack chairs are scattered about the lawn and pool area, and people come and go as they please. There is no music and no manufactured entertainment piped into the scene, just the sounds of laughter, foghorns, lobster boat engines, the wind blowing against mainsails, and the flapping of seabird wings.
During the day, we usually take out a sailboat, a kayak, or my favorite new addition, the paddle boards, and do a little cruising around the bay. We've never before seen such an amazing, laid-back waterfront operation. The new sail shack is stocked with every size life jacket and paddle you need, plus an extremely helpful bunch of instructors who hail from all over the world. They are happy to take you on a sail, or, if you know how to sail, you're free to take out a boat on your own and explore the islands. It's all very easy-breezy. When we're not soaking up waterfront activities, we head into town for homemade ice cream or candy, a walk along the footbridge, a visit to some local artists, the aquarium or the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (fantastic for all ages). In the evenings, after dinner, we play games in the West Lodge with family or with other guests. One of my favorite memories of our recent trip was when I sat with my daughters doing a puzzle and listened to my husband play Trivial Pursuit with a hilarious bunch of multi-generation Linekin lifers. There were folks in their 80s and folks in their 20s, organized into teams, and they had a ball.
Other favorite moments I will always hold dear include: watching my children muck around the tide pools discovering baby lobsters and crabs; joining the other guests in jumping off the dock into that cool Maine saltwater; having a blast racing in the weekly sailing regatta; hitting tennis balls with our girls using the resort's vintage 1970s Bobby Riggs racquet; painting pictures with visiting local artists on a rainy day; listening to acorns falling on the roof of our cabin; identifying found caterpillars and other critters; snapping photos of my younger daughters on piggy back races with the sail shack crew; learning about life in China from our outstanding Mandarin waiters, Jin and Lili; playing shuffleboard - oldsters against youngsters; making s'mores at the bonfire or enjoying the outdoor lobster bake with Diederik, Maarten, Andrei, Mica, Kaan and Ermand; the feeling that we are greeting our favorite family members every year when we return to the same wonderful staff - Rupert the most interesting tour guide, Garry the affable manager, John the talented chef, Kirsten the patient sailing manager; Dan the friendly barkeep, Ross & Roxanne the keepers of the flame, and Mark the general manager, who has breathed new life into this national treasure of a resort.
There will always be those who focus on the negative, and of course there is plenty to complain about if rustic is not your bag. From our perspective, we couldn't care less about peeling paint, a few bugs or simple furnishings. We care more about sunsets, ocean breezes, awesome food and desserts, warm hospitality and the chance to sail our own boats. Take a look at the photos posted on the Facebook page for this resort and you'll see why the focus of Linekin Bay Resort isn't, and should never be, fancy accommodations and luxury. A vacation at Linekin Bay is the chance to experience a way of life that doesn't exist anymore. I hesitate to write all this because I don't want our special place to become overrun, but because I love it so much and want the resort to succeed for years to come, I'll go ahead and post this review. Give LBR a try. It'll be an unforgettable getaway for yourself and your family.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This had to be one of the best vacations ever!! The wood cabin was clean and cozy--the bed king size and incredibly comfortable--the view...and the non-stop, soothing sound of the bay softly splashing the shore--were to die for!! The food (all included) was plentiful and absolutely exquisite--and again the view from the dining room--was to die for! The staff memebers were all: extremely friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind, including the wait staff, boat staff, the owner, Peter, the manager, Mark (as wonderful as they come), etc. But I haven't even gotten to the best part of this all- inclusive New England resort. Not only did swimming in this well-sized, heated, salt water pool feel so beautifull, but that too gave way to an awesome view of the bay. The boats: kayaks, row boats, sail boats (with lessons) were always available, whenever we were ready...which was prettly much all day! We also found the paddle boards--which we did for the first time, lots of fun! It was out and out an all inclusive and all awesome vacation at Linekin Bay resort!! I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: My preference is a cabin on the bay, but to each his own. It's your choice. Enjoy!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Linekin Bay Resort? Share your experiences!