“Wedding Weekend Bliss” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Linekin Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boothbay Harbor
Linekin Bay Resort
You added Linekin Bay Resort to your Saves list
92 Wall Point Rd, Boothbay Harbor, ME 04538   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Elmira, New York
“Wedding Weekend Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here for a friend's weekend wedding celebration and had an amazing time. The manager, Mark, was great to talk to and was very helpful during the weekend. We stayed in one of the lodges with friends from college and had an excellent time. The food was great, our room was comfortable and offered commanding views of the bay and the ocean beyond. While not a "luxury" resort in the traditional sense, the rustic charm of the cabins and lodges made it hard for us not to leave after the weekend was over. Many thanks to Mark and his amazing staff for a weekend that we will not soon forget.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mashpee, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

LIke many other fans of Linekin Bay Resort, my husband and I return every year. This is NOT the place for travellers who want "luxury" accomdations. Yes, the decor is dated and the buildings are a bit run down - but who cares? If you appreciate a peaceful setting, good food, good company, sailing and kayaking, then Linekin is perfect for you. There are many wonderful nearby attractions - the spectacular Maine Botanical Gardens, several conservation areas with walking trails, some great stores/galleries in downtown Boothbay, whale watches and wildlife cruises, scenic Ocean Point (gorgeous sunsets), the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland, the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, etc. Another plus: you can take day trips to Monhegan Island, Portland, Camden/Rockport, and Acadia National Park. (For first-time visitors, I suggest staying at Linekin Bay Resort for a long weekend - see if it's right for you.)

Room Tip: The cabins near the water have great views. Linwood Lodge offers the most modern room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Raymond, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This review is a little late as I stayed at Linekin Bay Resort in August of 2011. I would not go back. Judging from recent reviews, issues remain.

When I arrived, I felt I'd been conned. First of all, the word "resort" is a misnomer. Management likes to claim that the name refers to the fact that it's all inclusive like the old-time resorts that largely don't exist anymore, but the fact is those old "resorts", while not fancy, were clean and maintained. Vacationers who stayed at Linekin Bay Resort years ago would not tolerate current conditions. Linekin Bay Resort is a collection of run-down, rust-invaded, mold-covered, carpet-stained cabins and lodges that the owner and managers hide from potential customers. The website does not include any honest photographs of the cabins and, instead, touts the all-inclusive aspects, including dining and activities.

The ocean setting is beautiful. It, and the sailing on Rhodes 19 boats, were the reasons we chose to pay more than we normally would for a vacation. When we stayed there, however, few of the sailboats were in great condition. Most were missing parts and in need of fixing. On a day that included a sailboat race, returning guests knew which of the few intact boats to request. The "kid's cabin" was a run-down, messy cabin full of junk where few kids ventured. The ping pong table and other "toys" were broken.

Mark responds to criticism by sarcastically informing guests that they can stay at hotels along the coast if they want identical rooms in hotels with no character. It is disingenuous to suggest that guests who are critical of this place are not worldly enough to "understand" the charming character of Linekin Bay Resort. I have stayed in many "rustic" places that were in better shape and it was clear that that's what I was getting before I plunked down my hard-earned money.

To present Linekin Bay Resort as a classy waterfront resort of yesteryear and expect guests to be thrilled when they encounter tenement conditions upon their arrival is ludicrous!

I know the family has been trying to develop the property into a condominium resort complex, which is probably why it's reluctant to spend money on maintenance, but it's unfair to customers to provide substandard accommodations to save money. I suggest that Linekin Bay Resort be honest about its state and charge less, or fix the place up while waiting for the economy to improve enough to develop the property.

Bath, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A true, old school Maine resort with a REAL character. Set in the woods on a beautiful granite point on the coast of Maine. Pretty hard to find, but worth every minute. If you are expecting a cookie cutter high end resort, forget it. If you want great food, a beautiful setting, interesting people and discovering what Maine was like in the 1960s, this is the one...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

In 2009 I wrote a review of this resort on Tripadvisor and titled it, "We Had the Time of Our Lives." That review was written after our first summer vacation at Linekin Bay Resort, and I ended my comments by vowing that our family would return every year because we enjoyed it so much. Well, just a few days ago we returned from our 4th consecutive summer vacation at LBR. Four years is a drop in the bucket compared to the devotion of many guests who have vacationed there for decades. Every year the place becomes more magical and our attachment to it continues to grow.
My husband and I have three daughters, ages 11, 7 and 6. The first time we visited LBR, two of our kids were in diapers and one sat in a high chair, and we had the time of our lives. As the years go on, our summers at the resort just get better and better.
It's important to note that the unique experience offered at Linekin Bay Resort will not be appreciated by everyone, a fact made clear by the disparate comments in this review section. To give you some background on our style, I should mention that our family travels frequently, at least four vacations a year, often as part of my husband's work. In the past two years we have experienced two Club Med resorts (good values if you like a lot of entertainment), Maui's Westin Ka'anapali Resort (which is managed by my sister), a Celebrity cruise around the Caribbean (family obligation, not fond of cruises), the Rose Farm Inn on Block Island (charming, couples only), several large hotel resorts in Florida (Disney) and California (San Diego, San Francisco), and the Aventura Spa Palace in the Yucatan. All of these trips were very nice, but nothing compares to a week at our beloved Linekin Bay Resort. When we drive onto that property and breathe in the fresh, extra-salty air, all of our cares melt away. And every year when we pull our packed minivan away from the waterfront and head for home, we all shed a tear or two. It's always hard to leave.
So why do we love it so much? Why is it that the little things that seem to bother some reviewers, things such as spiders, sagging porches and "exhaustion fans" (whatever that means) seem utterly charming to those of us who love it there? It's true that the cabins aren't "renovated," but we don't want renovated when we stay in a cabin. If we wanted marble bathrooms and carpeted floors and key cards we'd check into the nearest Hilton. We go to Maine to stay in a cabin that was built in the 1940s with someone's bare hands, with wood floors and ceilings, cozy quilts, windows we keep open all night, and no electronics. We don't want chemicals and pesticides that keep spiders away, we want to experience nature. We want "Little House on the Prairie" but with hot running water and electricity.
All-inclusive resorts are especially gratifying for us, because the expense and hassle of trying to find a restaurant three times a day where everyone will enjoy something to eat, pulling out the credit card and figuring the tip - or the alternative, shopping and cooking in a rented vacation home - all will quickly turn a relaxing vacation into drudgery, especially for parents.
At Linekin, we waltz into the dining hall in shorts and flip-flops, take in a breathtaking view of the bay, and enjoy something delicious to eat within minutes of sitting down. Scallops, lobster, shrimp rolls, pulled pork, eggs benedict, pancakes, pumpkin ravioli, halibut ... these were just some of the choices available during our recent stay.
The children at the resort usually eat quickly and then run outside to play tag on the lawn, while their parents linger over meals and talk with each other or with the other guests. Adirondack chairs are scattered about the lawn and pool area, and people come and go as they please. There is no music and no manufactured entertainment piped into the scene, just the sounds of laughter, foghorns, lobster boat engines, the wind blowing against mainsails, and the flapping of seabird wings.
During the day, we usually take out a sailboat, a kayak, or my favorite new addition, the paddle boards, and do a little cruising around the bay. We've never before seen such an amazing, laid-back waterfront operation. The new sail shack is stocked with every size life jacket and paddle you need, plus an extremely helpful bunch of instructors who hail from all over the world. They are happy to take you on a sail, or, if you know how to sail, you're free to take out a boat on your own and explore the islands. It's all very easy-breezy. When we're not soaking up waterfront activities, we head into town for homemade ice cream or candy, a walk along the footbridge, a visit to some local artists, the aquarium or the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (fantastic for all ages). In the evenings, after dinner, we play games in the West Lodge with family or with other guests. One of my favorite memories of our recent trip was when I sat with my daughters doing a puzzle and listened to my husband play Trivial Pursuit with a hilarious bunch of multi-generation Linekin lifers. There were folks in their 80s and folks in their 20s, organized into teams, and they had a ball.
Other favorite moments I will always hold dear include: watching my children muck around the tide pools discovering baby lobsters and crabs; joining the other guests in jumping off the dock into that cool Maine saltwater; having a blast racing in the weekly sailing regatta; hitting tennis balls with our girls using the resort's vintage 1970s Bobby Riggs racquet; painting pictures with visiting local artists on a rainy day; listening to acorns falling on the roof of our cabin; identifying found caterpillars and other critters; snapping photos of my younger daughters on piggy back races with the sail shack crew; learning about life in China from our outstanding Mandarin waiters, Jin and Lili; playing shuffleboard - oldsters against youngsters; making s'mores at the bonfire or enjoying the outdoor lobster bake with Diederik, Maarten, Andrei, Mica, Kaan and Ermand; the feeling that we are greeting our favorite family members every year when we return to the same wonderful staff - Rupert the most interesting tour guide, Garry the affable manager, John the talented chef, Kirsten the patient sailing manager; Dan the friendly barkeep, Ross & Roxanne the keepers of the flame, and Mark the general manager, who has breathed new life into this national treasure of a resort.
There will always be those who focus on the negative, and of course there is plenty to complain about if rustic is not your bag. From our perspective, we couldn't care less about peeling paint, a few bugs or simple furnishings. We care more about sunsets, ocean breezes, awesome food and desserts, warm hospitality and the chance to sail our own boats. Take a look at the photos posted on the Facebook page for this resort and you'll see why the focus of Linekin Bay Resort isn't, and should never be, fancy accommodations and luxury. A vacation at Linekin Bay is the chance to experience a way of life that doesn't exist anymore. I hesitate to write all this because I don't want our special place to become overrun, but because I love it so much and want the resort to succeed for years to come, I'll go ahead and post this review. Give LBR a try. It'll be an unforgettable getaway for yourself and your family.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This had to be one of the best vacations ever!! The wood cabin was clean and cozy--the bed king size and incredibly comfortable--the view...and the non-stop, soothing sound of the bay softly splashing the shore--were to die for!! The food (all included) was plentiful and absolutely exquisite--and again the view from the dining room--was to die for! The staff memebers were all: extremely friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind, including the wait staff, boat staff, the owner, Peter, the manager, Mark (as wonderful as they come), etc. But I haven't even gotten to the best part of this all- inclusive New England resort. Not only did swimming in this well-sized, heated, salt water pool feel so beautifull, but that too gave way to an awesome view of the bay. The boats: kayaks, row boats, sail boats (with lessons) were always available, whenever we were ready...which was prettly much all day! We also found the paddle boards--which we did for the first time, lots of fun! It was out and out an all inclusive and all awesome vacation at Linekin Bay resort!! I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: My preference is a cabin on the bay, but to each his own. It's your choice. Enjoy!
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last week. We were supposed to stay from Sunday through Thursday but we checked out earlier after two days of uncomfortable and deplorable conditions. As some of the other reviewers said, this place is revolting. We were first checked in into cabin# 29. As soon as we walked into our cabin, the room looked like it hasn't been renovated or cleaned since the 1960's. Not only the bathroom was rusty, but the toilet was soooo dirty with feces and other black spots that I almost threw up. The floor of the shower was literally black. I went to the drugstore to buy some antibacterial wipes to try to clean it. After serveral attempts, it was so disgusting that the next day we asked for a room change to Adriana (the receptionist) who was very stoic. She gave us the option to stay at the main building right above the restaurant and across the hall from the "Front Desk." BTW, the F/D is nothing but a dirty, cluttered, small office on the second floor where the carpet is run down and filthy. The second room we were given (#2) was fair but the bathroom was detached from the room and was located across the public hallway near the front office. To add insult to injury, the bathroom was not only dirty (again) but near the kitchen exhaustion fan that was protruding from the roof. Due to the poor ventilation, everytime you enter this detached bathroom, you could smell everything that was being cooked from the kitchen below. Furthermore, we had to put our clothes on in the middle of the night in order to cross the public hall to get to our bathroom. We later found out from my husband's book that this place is not even rated by AAA!! The only redeeming part of these two days from hell was that the manager Mark was very nice and our sail instructor Andy was great. Unfortunately Mark was not available during our early check out. But, we spoke to the manager on duty who was Gary and when we explained all our problems, he just gave us a blank stare as if he couldn't care less. However, I must say that Gary did not charge us for leaving early. If you want a clean and decent place to stay, this is NOT the place for you!! This resort makes "Motel 6" looks like the Ritz Carlton Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Linekin Bay Resort? Share your experiences!