“Best Lobster Roll on Trip - and the clams...” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wantagh, New York
“Best Lobster Roll on Trip - and the clams...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

So, we were in Boothbay, ME for three days. Our itinerary was pretty simple; wake up, eat, see something cool, eat, rest, look at the ocean, eat again. I highly recommend this simple plan, especially if you hail from a large metropolitan area and need a sound break from the nonsense and chaos of so-called civilization. Be that as it may, we ate a substantial amount of fresh lobster, in a variety of different formats, the steamed version and roll version being our favorites. I also ate local clams whenever I could because I felt that it was my duty (mom being from Maine and all), and I like them steamed and fried. And so it is, that we came to visit The Lobster Dock.

We had lobster rolls from about five different establishments in Boothbay, and prefer the Atlantic Avenue side of the Harbor, also popular with locals. The cold lobster roll at the "Dock" was easily the best (we didn't try the warm). Now, lobster rolls by design are pretty simple, so one would assume they all pretty much taste the same. Not so. One could opine perhaps, within their simplicity lies the nature of the challenge to create epicurean beauty. But, it is not mine to ponder how, only to eat what I find delicious...and this roll is delicious. Number 1. Period. End of story.

After the roll, I gently sipped away at my micro-brew IPA and turned my attention to a steaming pint of fried belly clams. The friendly staff had delivered them while I was occupied with the roll version of lobster. I'm not going to lie. I hit those clams hard, with great expectation and enthusiasm and they stood up to my vigor, one after another. My joy was almost unbearable and the short moments I took to breath and gulp another splash of local brew were eclipsed again and again as I went back to the box, and the tartar, and to my mouth. When it was all over, I must have plummeted to the floor and passed out due to rapture. When I came to, I saw the face of what I thought was a mystical being, obscured by the brilliant falling sun, smiling, and welcoming me to heaven. But, alas, it was only Mitch, the owner, recalling how he had warned me that the clams were pretty good...and now would I please get up off the floor?
Best fried clams I ever ate, and I'm not embarrassed I made the local paper.

Kingston, New York
“wonderfull.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

my husband and I have been going to Boothbay harbor for 15 years, and after checking in to Cap-n-Fish's water front inn and before we unload the car we go to the lobster dock for our first Maine meal. vacation doesn't really start until my husband has his first of many lobster roll.my favorite is the fried shrimp roll.the people are friendly service is fast and you have one of the best views of the harbor. and they don't try to rush you can take your time and linger .We start and finish our vacation at the lobster dock. O-yeah and just about every day in between, some times twice a day. so when I read a nasty review I have a VERY hard time believing it. after 15 years we have NEVER had a bad meal. the only thing is we can't go until the last week in aug. and they run out of average size t-shirts. please order more of your ( DOCK CREW)t-shirts.

“Damn good!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I don't eat lobster but my husband does. The place was excellent. The food and the outside ambiance is wonderful. I would highly recommend this place.

Visited September 2013
Orlando, Florida
“The best lobster in Boothbay Harbor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We just love this place. The food is wonderful, the views unbeatable and the staff is terrific! Menu is large and everything is delicious. Ate here 2 times during 3 days in BBH. Yummmmmmm..

• Visited September 2013
Quispamsis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“By the Harbour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Excellent food, The throw down crab cakes , fantastic. Outside ordering , great. They don't take American Express.( I don't have one, but the customer in front of us had to use alternate payment ).