“Best warm lobster roll I ever had!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
“Best warm lobster roll I ever had!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Food was great,mussels mariniere were like butter. We went there with a very loud) special needs child, and they were very understanding. The manager came over and reassured us . A nice touch.
Don't bother with the blueberry pie though, nothing special.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Atlanta, Georgia
“Always a good lobster!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

You always get a good lobster at the Lobster Dock. They are always super fresh. You can eat outside and enjoy a view of the harbor. They employ students from places like Bulgaria who are working their way through school so leave them a nice tip.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Providence, Rhode Island
“Best Lobster we had in Maine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

After sampling lobsters in York and Bluehill, and noting the many tourists in line, we weren't sure about this spot. But since it was right across from our B&B, it seemed worth a shot. We were greeted by the owner in line, found the "special" wine list with palatable choices (yes, we're wine snobs), and enjoyed the outdoor sunset view. Although we spent 30 minutes in line, our food, a double lobster dinner for me and a larger 1-3/4 special order for my husband, came quickly. Without a doubt, these were the freshest, most perfectly cooked lobsters we've ever eaten - and not just this year.

Visited August 2013
Jensen Beach, Florida
“Great spot on the water.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had the hot lobster roll and my hubby had the grilled chicken. The roll was fantastic with tons of lobster and my hubby enjoyed his chic with a baked potato. Very reasonable for the portion and quality of the food. It was so very pleasant sitting on the deck. Good choice.

Visited August 2013
Norfolk
“Lobster Dock - Caveat Tourista”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Maybe I should have tried the warm lobster roll. The cold one was surprisingly poor (my first time at LD). The claim of meat from a 1.5 lb lobster per roll could not have held up unless it shrank considerably in refrigeration. But main problem was tasteless, rubbery (overcooked?) lobster with mayo which provided no compliment to it other than making it a bit easier to swallow. The pasty white bread hot dog roll detracted from the whole experience. My tiny plastic cup of bad chardonnay added nothing to the experience. It should be against the law to serve wine in plastic cups.

Unless there is a world of difference between cold and warm rolls, I would advise looking at some of the other restaurants around the harbor. Sorry, LD but what I was served showed no pride of ownership or craft, just another attempt to separate the tourist from his dollars with nothing in return.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mitch W, Owner at The Lobster Dock, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
I would first off I like to thank our many countless customers over the past 14 years who actually get what we do here at The Dock. Those of you, who know me, know my saying that I would rather make a friend then a buck because a friend is worth more. So if I was trying to separate tourists from their money I surely wouldn't have a motto like that. Nor would I serve all fresh high quality products with name brands like Heinz, Cabot, Lay’s, Dole and Bailey or Creekstone Farms etc. Instead I would purchase industrial and institutional camp food which I do not.

My response here is probably not the best decision I have made in 37 years of being in the hospitality industry but your review is way out of line and over the top. It not only hurts our TA rating severely, which is your deliberate attempt but more important you are insulting me and my staff personally. Let me preface it with what you said yourself in another review, “You are hard to please”. In addition you are trashing my restaurant based on your one experience ordering just one out of 60+ items on our menu not to mention typically 8 daily specials. Some of which are - Shaved Garlic Infused Prime Rib French Dip, fresh Ahi Tuna Sashimi with pickled ginger, fresh wasabi, sticky rice and wakame salad in a tuna boat with chop sticks, a fortune cookie and 2 Sake choices. No pride of my ownership or craft? That’s why I have dishes like Seafood Fra Diavolo featuring a 1 ½ lb lobster, Mussels Mariniere our own hand cut Black Angus NY Strip and Prime Rib. Those items don’t come from a freezer, fryer or microwave.

Your first review that you posted 8/22 was removed as it violated TA guidelines. Un-relentless and on a mission to disparage us with your incontinent 1st review you said you had gotten 4-5 oz of rubbery meat worth $1 in a Maine market. That would mean you are under the impression fresh picked lobster meat out of the shell is $4 a pound? Currently the lobster pound down the street is getting $29 a lb.. Unfortunately you miss understood what our lobster rolls contain. It is the meat FROM a 1 ½ lb. lobster, not 1 ½ pounds of lobster meat. How could any business survive selling 1 ½ pounds of meat in a roll for $15.95 when their cost was $43.50? Unless you had a scale it is unfair to us to make a claim that our lobster rolls are small. You mention the meat may have shrunk considerably during refrigeration. Lobster meat doesn't have the “shrinkage” factor that going into a cold pool has..

If you were to open up Webster’s dictionary or and Web search engine and look up Traditional Maine Lobster Roll - you would see a picture of exactly what you got at The Lobster Dock. (And hundreds of other establishments that serve a traditional lobster roll in Maine) Here at The Dock it is the meat from a 1 ½ lb. lobster perfectly cooked and then chilled, cut into bite size pieces with no filler, lettuce or spice to mask the flavor of the meat. It was placed into a fresh (not previously frozen) New England frankfurter roll that had been buttered on both sides and grilled to a toasty perfection. We offer you a choice of warm with a lick of butter or cold with a light mix of mayo. (We use real Cabot butter from Vermont and not something claiming to be butter poured from a jug.) Both the hot and cold contain the same amount of meat.

Your tiny cup of bad chardonnay was your choice, not ours. We serve a 7 oz. glass of wine. The industry standard pour is 6 oz, some places in our area only pour 4 or 5oz. Our house wines are only $5.25 and are from Pepperwood Grove. We also offer a bargain Chardonnay by the glass and ½ carafe’ for ONLY $4.25 and $9.50. We offer that for the guest that wants to enjoy a glass of non-serious wine without breaking the bank that may be on a fixed income and is looking for value. You could have chosen a nicer wine like a $7 Mohua Sauv Blanc, $8 Kendal Jackson Chard, a $9 - 90+ Sancerre, $10 Sonoma-Cutrer or a $13 Pouilly-Fuissé. ALL of our wines are displayed in antique French wine boxes hung on the wall DIRECLTY under the large menu which you ordered from. You also could have ordered a bottle of Prosecco, Totts or St. Michelle sparkling wine which are served in flutes or Moët, Veuve-Clicquot or Dom Perignon Champagne which would have been served in crystal flutes. Doesn’t sound like crap wine to me. And that’s only the whites.

Lastly, many in this Harbor work their tail off to try and give their customers a positive experience at their establishments. Many of us work 7 days a week, 16 hours a day from May through October. That equates to working a normal 40 hour week for 57 weeks within a 5 month stretch! Hopefully readers with scroll past this review and laugh at your inaccurate and offensive label that we are a tourist trap.

Lastly to call us out in a public forum with your remarks is unfair? Why didn't you voice your concerns to one of the many servers who visited your table while you were dining or to me who is also constantly visiting tables when I’m not assisting on the line, pouring beverages or answering guest’s questions before they order?

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address your recent dining experience.