“When in boothbay Harbor stop in at the Rocktide Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Rocktide Inn
35 Atlantic Avenue, Boothbay Harbor, ME 04538-2131   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Southington, Connecticut
“When in boothbay Harbor stop in at the Rocktide Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

WE have been visiting the Rocktide Inn for 40 years, off and on. Mostly on.

Great place to stay in mid Maine, great food, Happy Hour is wonderful.

Mary Lou and her staff are more than helpful.. Wonderful breakfast buffet.

Plan a visit to the Rocktide and you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: We like to stay in the rooms over the water. Great views from the balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rocktide I, Manager at Rocktide Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We're glad you enjoyed your stay - come see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

First time at the RT and not sure if I would return. I booked a suite with harbor view for my fiance's 50th birthday surprise. Upon check in, I had to drag information out of the staff who checked us in. I asked where we should park and he replied, "anywhere right out here". He failed to mention that we had to move one of the orange cones and park in any of those spots. We ended up at the top of the parking lot in a spot w/out the cone. There were many times our car was blocked in because people parked behind us. Not knowing what the cones were for, I asked one of the staff who was greeting guests as you entered the front doors. He said, "they are for our guests, you just need to move the cone and you can park there". I've never stayed anywhere that I've had to move my own cone to park! I complained about this at check out and was told they are no longer using the cones. Great for all of you checking in in the future!

Also upon check in, no one offered any info. about the free WIFI, which they advertise and there was nothing in the room regarding this. I called the front desk to ask and they were quite rude about it and acted like I was bothering them. You need a password.

I also had to call the front desk to ask how to use the TV because no where in the room told you how because there is two remotes and you had to put the TV on channel 3 with one remote and use the other to change channels.

The worst part of our stay was the housekeeping service, or lack thereof. We stayed 5 nights, again in a suite, and every day I had to call for something, towels, soap, shampoo, etc. I was also told they were short staffed and more housekeepers were coming the next day. The head housekeeper did apologize to us and seemed very frazzled. The last day they did not even clean the room. When I called the front desk at 4:30 p.m. to let them know that no one cleaned the room, she said, "what do you want us to do about it?", I replied, "clean it". (Isn't that what we paid $200/night for?) Someone did clean it after that, but still failed to leave add'l coffee. When I checked out, I let them know about all this and never even offered an apology, She actually said, "you left the DO NOT DISTURB on the door; I said, "no I did not, it was the maid service sign". So instead of making their guests feel welcome and apologize for the daily pain of calling the front desk for something, they basically have the attitude they could care less what happened to you while you were there and if you ever return.

I did not even know until the last day that they had pay laundry facilities if you needed it. Maybe the front desk needs a check list to go over with their guests so they are familiar with their property. If you book a suite, be prepared to walk up stairs - no elevator.

Breakfast was ok, same thing every day. Muffins were good. Men no longer need a jacket in the dining room - they did tell me that at the front desk, so I did tell them they should update their website, though.

Lastly, I will say the staff in the bar/restaurant were very nice and good at what they do - maybe they should work the front desk and clean the rooms!!!

Room Tip: Ask all questions at check in because they won't offer the info if you don't. You may want...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rocktide I, Public Relations Manager at Rocktide Inn, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
It is always our goal to provide the best experience for each of our guests and we’re sorry that we were unable to deliver – Please know we are addressing these issues.

After 45 years in business, Rocktide is undergoing some much needed changes and updates that will help us move into the future. We are actively renovating and redecorating rooms, as well as working out the kinks that accompany any transitional period. We are also in the process of building a brand new website and addressing communication issues.

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and we sincerely hope you will give us another chance.
We would love to have the opportunity to show you the new and improved Rocktide in the future! Please get in touch with us at popover@rocktideinn.com.
Eddington, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great all around service from the minute I made the reservation, when my husband and I got there the service was great. The friendly staff,clean place and wonderful veiws, Breakfast was a delight.We enjoyed It so muchl, We made reservations for next year.AAA all the way.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you enjoyed your visit! Thank you for coming - and we hope to see you again soon!
Rumford, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Every year for the past 8 years we have planned a long weekend in Boothbay Harbor to start off our Summer. This year we decided to stay at the Rocktide Inn. We started off by visiting the Rocktide website and liked it enough to book. Most of the hotels in the Boothbay area are all a bit rundown, so you focus on getting a clean room. We called to book and quoted the price off the website...to my surprise I was told that price was wrong!? I guess the Rocktide didn't update their website, but after arguing with the front desk a bit....they decided to honor the website price which was lower. I was then informed children under the age of 12 are not allowed to stay on the 2nd floor. You think this would be something mentioned on the website because half the rooms are not available to families with a child under the age of 12!! The room did have some issues....but I hope this is due to the start of the summer season. We had no TV the first day and the message that came up on the TV stated that the" subscription needed to be activated". We had family members occupying the room beside us and they got only 2 channels. We did have a maintenance worker repair it the 2nd day.......but we only got basic cable The 2nd room did get all channels after their visit from maintenance worker. Upon entering the bathroom I was greeted by a bug in the tub with it's legs in the air....it has been there for a few days. Then I went to turn on a light and it didn't have a knob to turn it on, but it did have a sharp metal point sticking out. Regardless it didn't work, so I unplugged it and put a note on it stating it is a wee bit dangerous. The one shining light to our stay was THE WAIT STAFF!!!! "They" meaning the morning breakfast servers, the kind drink server by the name of Arden & the lovely dinner waitresses. The food was "ok". Dinner was pricey. If you order baked stuffed lobster at a hefty price you shouldn't have to pay for sides. The breakfast was basic (eggs, sausage, oatmeal, hash browns, etc.)....but the star item to mention is the muffins! They are delicious and added a nice touch! Hopefully the Rocktide learns from their hiccups which are 1. Websites are your future and you need to update them. 2. The front desk is your 1st impression. 3. At the start of the season really check the rooms to work out any bugs. ;-).

Room Tip: If you have children under the age of 12.....your only choice is the bottom floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rocktide I, Public Relations Manager at Rocktide Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We’re sorry to learn of your disappointing experience at Rocktide. Our goal is to provide an exceptional experience to each and every one of our customers at all times.

After 45 years in business, Rocktide is undergoing some much needed changes and updates that will help us move into the future. As with any transitional period, it can be bittersweet to embrace the future while remaining true to the past… We are actively renovating and redecorating rooms, as well as embarking on a major overhaul of our website. Please bear with us!

We very much appreciate your constructive feedback and we would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you on your next visit! Please get in touch with us at popover@rocktideinn.com.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have been staying at the Rocktide since my youth in the mid to late 1990’s. Always a great place for fun, great location, good rooms and a fun pool with kid friendly staff. That was then this is now….We stayed June of 2013 and really have been disappointed. Now that I am married with a family of my own I wanted to bring them to the Rocktide. Swimming, free buffet breakfast, and a trolley train all are perks of the hotel. We were not very impressed at check in, and the staffs total lack of professionalism. Not to be aged discriminate, but the staff was all 65+ an very disorganized and fumbling with paperwork and the very small amount of technology they had. Their confusion came off a rudeness and fumbling around with 3+ seniors just to get a room for 25 minutes did not make for a good start. The room was near the pool on the lower level. The views in the other rooms are not worth the extra MONEY! The rooms had a very outdated feeling to them. They were clean, but everything reeked of a 1970’s camper in Delaware. The towels looked like the old one’s I use on my dog after he gets his bath….and to make matters worse there was not enough. The ceiling had large water spots that did not look nice in bed or in the shower. KILN’S is a beautiful thing people…. On to the beds. They were nice but needed more pillows or something other than a thin sheet of paper to lay ones head on. The TV is a medium sized box 1988 model that is on a roller cart like you would see in an outdated classroom. We had a hard time getting the cable to work at first but eventually everything was okay. The rooms just need to be updated. A little paint and décor could go a lonnnngggg way. We paid $105 a night and I have stayed in much better for that price. The staff at breakfast was also very odd and seemed to look at you as if you had a 3rd eye. Our child was very well behaved, but seemed to be looked down on. They were not very child friendly and at some points the staff was rude during their interactions with us and our son. We will probably not be back to the Rocktide. Even with a pool it has lost its luster…..the pool has become drab and is not maintained very well. It could use a good bleaching and a few coats of paint. The rusty work out equipment is scattered around the outside of the pool adding to the danger of children and it really doesn’t make any sense. The breakfast food was very nice and the trolley train. Our little on enjoyed it but as adults we see many other things that need improvement.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

After 45 years in business, Rocktide is undergoing some much needed changes and updates that will help us move into the future. We are actively renovating and redecorating rooms, as well as working out the kinks that accompany any transitional period. Please bear with us!

Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I spent two days visiting Boothbay Harbor and stayed at the Rocktide Inn Hotel located at 35 Atlantic Ave. The hotel was beautiful and our room had a very nice view of the harbor and the sea. Breakfast was delicious and included the famous Maine Blueberry Muffins.
The area is beautiful with houses located in the forests and with ocean and water fronts. It is a summer vacation town and we strongly recommend everybody who travels to New York and/or Boston to drive to the coast of Maine.

Room Tip: Ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Box Elder, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in one of our favorite Maine towns, Boothbay Harbor, at the Rocktide Inn. One thing I loved about this place was the location near the footbridge into town. They had a nice continental breakfast every morning that came with your stay and the view from the restaurant was gorgeous. The room was pleasant, clean, quiet, and a cozy size. I didn't feel cramped. The price was nice, but in all honesty, you can get a water view room for a just a few dollars more a night at Capn Fish's a few doors down. They don't have the full breakfast like the Rocktide does and they aren't as close to the footbridge, but if a water view is more of a priority you may want to look there first. The staff at the Rocktide is very friendly and helpful and they have a beautiful heated indoor swimming pool that we took advantage of. Overall, I was very happy with the week we spent there. I wouldn't stay there during the high season because it can get expensive, but to be honest, I rarely travel anywhere during the high season. I tend to like the quieter times that just so happen to also be cheaper.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rocktide Inn? Share your experiences!