“A Quaint getaway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Port Hope, Canada
“A Quaint getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This review is long overdue, as we have stayed at the Boothbay Harbour Inn on several occasions. In looking at areas for this year's vacation possibilities, it occurred to me that I needed to write this. The Inn is very basic, but also very functional. The property is lovely, with Anarondak chairs outside for you to enjoy the view over the harbour. We chose a second level room, which has a nice balcony. The area is ideal, as you can walk across a long dock to the other side of the harbour, where all of the shopping and restaurants are. So it is all accessible without actually having to stay right in the hustle and bustle of town. We ate a few meals at the Inn, and they were fine. Nothing outstanding, but not bad either. The ambiance across the harbour is a bit more fun, and it’s nice to walk around and peruse the shops before/after eating. Staff are very polite and helpful, and very efficient and processing check in/out. All in all, we have enjoyed our stays here, and will continue to stay at the Boothbay Harbour Inn.

Room Tip: choose a room on the second floor - dragging the luggage up is a pain, but the view and balcony are...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here two nights as part of a tour. Our room on the third floor had a great harbor view and a deck. This visit was at the end of this season and some of the help seemed more concerned about their next job than doing the one here. The room was large and airy and the HVAC worked well. The bath was larger than normal but very dated. The tub/shower would not stop dripping and they did not get to fix it while we were there for two nights. We had forgotten how small the older round toilets are but this Inn reminded us. The hosted harbor tour was great. Breakfast was above average for a buffet. We did not use the dining room as it seemed a bit pricey for our desires. Kaler's restaurant across the parking lot was informal, well priced and excellent. The parking lot staff was super.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
kidderminster england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very pleasant room with balcony that if you stood on it you could see the harbour.Restaurant overlooked the water and really enjoyed the three course value for money menu.Liked walking across the bridge to the shops the other side.Lots of boats in the harbour but don't know what one would find to do on a longer visit as the area is off the beaten track.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the harbor would be best for the view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newton, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The following response to their email was sent to Boothbay Harbor Inn on Oct. 9; there has bee no response from them:
When I made my reservation, I requested a wheelchair accessible room, preferably with 2 beds and non-smoking. I was told that the room with the roll-in shower was booked, and I responded that I do not need a roll-in shower, but I do need a wheelchair accessible room and bathroom. I was told there were a few rooms available on the first floor, and I opted to pay the highest price for the "superior" view. Upon my arrival late afternoon of Sat. Oct. 6, I was surprised to be in a room that had no wheelchair accessible elements other than the bed was at the proper height (Room 109). I did not ask for another room because I knew that the one room with the accessible shower was in use and with it being a holiday weekend, I knew how hard it would be to stay anywhere else. The bathroom is very small, and my wheelchair barely fit. The toilet is much too low (the seat should be 17-19 inches from the floor) and the sink was too high with a counter that nearly caused an injury to my head & face as I transferred from my wheelchair onto the toilet. There are no grab bars at the toilet, and I could not even being to try to use the bathtub. Instead of making the nearly impossible transfer from my wheelchair down to the toilet seat then back up, I used the bathroom in the lounge (not an ideal situation to say the least).
Manuevering around the room was difficult because of all the furniture. I could not hang up clothes because I could not get to the "closet" (a hanging rod next to the bed). There wasn't a lower peep hole on the door, and the door hardware was improper. I could not go outside through the sliding glass door in my room due to the step down. I could not use the outside paths because of the crushed stone. The parking space at the entrance door was only usable because of the clear area in front of the door. I drive an adapted van and I need 8 feet of space on the driver's side to deploy the ramp and safely exit my vehicle, as required by code.
In addition, the room was not as clean as it should have been. There will pills and other items on the floor near the head of the bed, and the dust and cobwebs were disgusting. The decor is unpleasant, as nothing matches. Basically, my room was for sleeping only, as I could not comfortably stay in the room, which, in my opinion, was a very high price to pay for dealing with so many inconveniences.
Upon checkout I was asked if everything was to my liking, and I responded, "No, it was just OK." The response was "Good!." I guess being OK is sufficient for your standards.

Room Tip: Ask detailed questions about wheelchair access.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sanford, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Boothbay Harbor Inn is a lovely place to stay. The room we had was very spacious with a lovely view of the harbor. All in all, very quiet and comfortable. The staff was extremely polite and friendly. After reading another review we also had a gull who was quite inquisitive and sat on the outside balcony rail of our room and I got a few close up pictures of him. He too seemed to be interested in looking into the room. Great walking distance to the entire area around the harbor for shopping and sight seeing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The location is directly across the harbor with a walking bridge across the harbor for easy access to the other side without driving. Nice rooms at a good price. Now is need 200 characters. Now I need 200 characters

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DELAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Boothbay Harbor Inn is a lovely inn directly on the harbor. We had a room with a nice balcony. The restaurant is very pleasant and the food was delicious. Our last morning, a sea gull sat on the rail just outside our door. After we went inside the room the gull moved and looked into the room where we were. It was a very pleasant experience and would go there again if I'm ever in Maine again.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor front room. Probably because it was the end of the season, we were assigned to roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Boothbay Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!