“Plain, Older, Basic But What A View!” 3 of 5 stars

Brown's Wharf Inn
121 Atlantic Avenue, Boothbay Harbor, ME 04538   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Florida
“Plain, Older, Basic But What A View!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Don't expect modern, twenty-first century like rooms with lots of upgrades -- this is a basic motel maybe a little over-priced but you are paying for the location and the lovely view of Boothbay Harbor, Maine -- atnight with the lights it looks like a Christmas village and during the day activity on the water is entertaining. Room was on 3rd floor, had a balcony and was roomy with a small fridge and coffee maker -- very convenient. Clean but modest bathroom with shower and tub -- towels were thin and could have used more than 2 bath and hand towels -- so thin one use and they were permanently wet! Bed was comfortable and AC did work nicely. Carpeting needs to be cleaned BADLY or replaced-- bottom of white socks I had are now forever dark despite washing!!!--don't walk barefoot!.
Restaurant was traditional but food was welll prepared. However, for the price of the room ($202 with tax!) they could have provided a complimentary continental breakfast for guests only -- but then again this is Boothbay Harbor....Free trolley to downtown Boothbay shopping if the 3/4 mile walk in is too much for you. Front desk staff was exceptional and efficient and a positive addition to an average motel. Charles Karault recommendation no longer seems current -- step out of the time warp and maybe fix things up a bit.

• Liked — view from balcony
  • Disliked — room and decor out of date
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

We arrived at the Brown's Wharf Inn on July 23 and stayed 2 nights. The checkin was very easy and the staff were very friendly. Upon entering the room, we were disappointed. The bathroom was so small that barely only one person could fit in it. A larger person would definitely have difficulty manuevering in this tiny bathroom. This made it difficult to assist my young son with his shower.

I found the room to be very outdated and in need of renovation. It seemd to me as though the hotel was looking for the cheapest ways possible to run a hotel. The carpet was very rough and thin; I believe it was indoor/outdoor carpeting. The blankets in our room (and my parent's room) had holes in them. The sheets were stained. We were supplied with only two sets of towels. I use two towels myself when I take a shower! I have never stayed in hotel that only gave two towels per room! When soap/shampoo were used they were not replenished.

While the room was clean upon arrival, I question the cleanliness and quality of housekeeping of the hotel for the rest of our stay. Our first morning my son snacked on Cheese-its and that evening I found a crushed cheese-it by the bed. So the housekeeping had not even vaccuumed the room (or if they did, then they did a poor job).

The positives about the hotel were the staff who were very friendly. They originally wanted to charge me $15.00night/ for my 6-year-old son but when I complained that they were the only hotel in our two week trip to New England that was charging for a child, they dropped the charge. I was told that the charge was for the additional towels and laundering of them. I can see why they would charge this since the hotel only supplies each room with 2 sets of towels.

Additionally, the view was fantastic. It was very enjoyable to sit out on the balcony and watch the bay.

• Liked — scenic view of bay
  • Disliked — quality of room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My stay at Brown's Wharf Inn was one of the most disturbing and troubling visits I've ever had at a hotel.

The Good:

The best thing I can say about Brown's is that the view over the harbor is excellent. It's a panoramic view of the harbor and you can see practically all of Boothbay Harbor from any room in the hotel. The hotel itself is built over the harbor which is what allows for the great view. You can also fish off the piers next to the hotel.

Another good thing about Brown's is their restaurant, especially the breakfasts and the friendly and helpful staff that serve you. None of the meals disappointed, and my wife and I looked forward to coming back each morning for breakfast.

The Bad:

Our room was situated on the ground floor of the hotel. If we had known in advance just how thin the walls and ceilings were, and how much noise we would have to endure, we would have booked a room on the third floor and had the peace of not having other guests above us. Maybe it woulnd't have been all that bad if not for our upstairs guests starting the day at 5:30am to 6am each morning. My day would begin with theirs, regardless of when I wanted to awake. From the roaring, Niagara Falls-like sound of their shower, the end of which was signalled by a loud bang from the plumbing, to the slamming door when they finally left their room for the day, we had absolutely no peace and quiet. On the first day of our stay, I asked the hotel if they could switch us to another room on the third floor, but they said they couldn't. They didn't offer us any solution to ease our suffering, other than to say they could temporarily move us to another room on the second floor, which I didn't believe would solve the problem of noise from above.

The bathroom in our room was so small that I would accidentally bang my hand on the wall frame when I would comb my hair - it was that narrow. The complete bathroom itself was the smallest bathroom I've encountered in a hotel. The shower was good, but the toilet couldn't hold up to normal use and got stopped up three times during our one week visit. After the third day of our stay, the bathroom door became warped and difficult to close. The hot water from the sink was hot enough for my wife to make instant coffee with. The rest of the hotel room was good. The bed was very comfortable (during the few times I could sleep through the noise) and the small fridge was useful - a microwave would have been a nice addition. The wifi Internet connection was very weak and slow. This was because the router was placed toward the office of the hotel, which leaves the majority of the rooms a good distance away from the router.

The housekeeping was spotty - on one of the days they cleaned the room, they decided not to remove a few crumpled, empty cans of soda that were left by the side of the trash container. More on the housekeeping issue below.

The Ugly:

On the second full day of our stay, we requested housekeeping service. This request was made in the usual way - by placing the the "service request" side of the doorknob card facing outward. The request was fulfilled and our room was cleaned. The following morning we requested not to be disturbed before leaving for the day. We placed the doorknob card out to read "Privacy Please". We usually like to have our room cleaned every other day when staying at hotels - it's just our preference. Feeling secure that no one would enter the room that day, I decided to leave some personal and business items out in full view. These items would have been stashed if I had expected visitors of any kind to our room.

When my wife and I returned from our days activities, we discovered that the room had been partially cleaned - the bed was made and towels replaced, but the garbage containers had not been emptied. We took a look to see that we had left the doorknob card as we remembered, requesting privacy - it was still placed that way. I went to the office and asked the clerk at the front desk why our room was entered when we requested privacy. She said that we had not had our room cleaned (this was incorrect) since we were there and the owner's wife Mrs. Brown, decided they should go into the room, regardless of our request for privacy.

I left the front office and went back to the room and contemplated what she had said. I then called the front office and asked to speak with the owner. Mr. Brown called me back moments later and I asked him why our room was entered when we had requested privacy. He basically said the same thing as the front desk clerk, however, he added that they thought maybe someone was dead in the room and they decided to go in regardless of the request for privacy. If that was the case, all they had to do was open the door, take a quick look, and after determining there were no dead bodies anywhere, close the door and leave - but they decided to stay and clean and who knows what else. The hotel was very much aware of our stay because of my noise complaint the first day - I had also requested a box of tissues on the very same day they entered the room without our permission. So the "dead body" theory sounds like an excuse to enter the room.

I told Mr. Brown that my the trust between hotel and guest had been broken and I wondered aloud whether or not we should cut our visit short. He then responded that he was sorry that I felt that way and he would be happy to check us out the next morning. Not once was there any attempt to make us feel better about our privacy being violated. My father who was staying in another room wanted to stay for the complete visit, as did my wife. I went along with their wish to stay. Mr. Brown did say that no one would enter the room again without our permission, however, I felt the damage had already been done. Instead of attempting to repair the issue, I felt that Mr. Brown would have been happier seeing us and this issue just "go away".

Based upon my experience, I cannot recommend this hotel and will be staying elsewhere on my next trip to Boothbay Harbor.

• Liked — The view and the restaurant
  • Disliked — The noise and not being left alone by hotel staff when requested not to be disturbed
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

We just returned from a 6 night stay at our favorite place in Boothbay Harbor. At check in a very helpful young lady carried our heavy luggage up to the third floor. I was still making my way up the steps ( the old knees aren't what they used to be) when she came bounding back down.
It is always a highlight to open those sliding doors, go out onto the deck and just stare at that gorgeous scene. My husband and I spent a lot of time there reading, talking and just watching activity in the harbor. Seeing it come awake in the mornings and quiet down at night was relaxing. And, those incredible sunsets!
All of the Brown family staff we met this trip were firendly, courteous and welcoming. Many thanks to Sandy for cleaning our room early each day. She was so accomodating when we needed extra towels or kleenex.
I wish I were writing this review on Brown's deck rather than at home on my own computer.
Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The extraordinary view
  • Disliked — No elevator
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
M33
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Our second year vwith the Brown's, no one has a better handle on how to operate a resort hotel than these folks. From the check-in desk to housekeeping, they leave nothing to want for.
The room rates are competitive and the views are breath-taking.
Having stayed in resorts in over half the world this is one of our favorites.
See you next June.
Bob & Jane
Hendersonville, Tennessee

• Liked — Location on bay
  • Disliked — Had to pay for the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
New England USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

We just arrived a few hours ago... wanted to write as we will be leaving early for Samoset resort. This was a GREAT stop off... 3 hrs from boston with stops. We stopped for gas in Portsmouth, and of course stopped for wine at the state store in Portsmouth NH. Brown's is the BEST location. it faces southwest, so the wind and light is great. The food is great as well, the nearby boats and views are peaceful. I walked out on the boat slip and talked with very friendly people who shared stories of where to eat and stay. All said we did not lose or miss anything. The staff are friendly, and we stuffed ourselves with the lobster specials. We drove in a convertible, and kept the roof down as the temperature was in the 70's. This week is lobsterfest, so if you want to eat lobsters, this is the week! In talking with the locals, the current fuel pricing is really hurting the boat crews... The nearby boothbay lobster wharf has GREAT lobster rolls... and reasonably priced clams and other seafood offers. The room is well appointed, with a comfortably soft bed, and free internet access, which I am sending from. My wife would like to come back; so that means it is really good. We gave it a 4 of 5.. because it is NOT the Ritz.. but well worth the value... we'll definitely come back...

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

This Inn shows the value of the rating system on Trip Advisor. We visited 18th -22nd june and the Inn and Restaurant are impossible to fault in any way. Well done to the Owner Ken Brown

• Liked — Cleanliness and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Brown's Wharf Inn? Share your experiences!