My wife and I have just returned from a week in Boothbay Harbor, having spent six nights at the Topside Inn. We chose a room on the upper floor of the Leeward building, that overlooks the harbor. The rooms have no A/C, but there are fans provided in the rooms. Temps got into the upper 80's on several days during our stay. But there is a beautiful breeze from the harbor at night and the room cools down, so we had no difficulty sleeping.
The owners Brian & Ed are great at making you feel at home, in their summer home. Anyone thinking of getting into this business should spend a week at Topside to see what type of committment it takes to "get it right".
The staff working at breakfast and performing the housekeeping duties are foreign students, this summer from Lithuania and Bulgaria, and an all male staff. These young men could not have been more polite and accommodating. They did a great job at keeping the room in tip top shape.
Breakfast was different each day. Great coffee ( we hate weak coffee, and theirs was not). Each day you could start with some homemade granola (I am now hooked), hard boiled eggs, beautiful fresh fruit cup. And also each day a hot entree was offered. Juices and toast also. Kudos to Ed who handles the back of the inn and the breakfasts, while Brian is out front.
Both Brian & Ed can recommend places to go, things to do, and where to go for lunch or dinner. Or you can just sit on the lawn or porch and take in the spectacular view of the harbor. The inn is centrally located, and many of the guests walked the few blocks to the shops & restaurants. We enjoyed the 4th of July fireworks display from the best spot in town!
A few of the small details that separate this inn from others. In the breakfast area there is a keurig coffee maker and an electric kettle for use any time. A refrigerator for guests to use. Ant type of stemware for wine, beer, etc. is available, as well as plates, bowls, corkscrews, cheese boards, etc.. There is even a selection of postcards, already stamped for guests. You just make it out and leave it at the desk with Brian and away it goes.
We are already making plans to spend next Independence Day with Brian & Ed in Boothbay!
- Also Known As:
- Topside Inn b&b
- Topside Hotel
- Topside Hotel Boothbay Harbor
- Topside Inn Boothbay Harbor, Maine
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy incredible views of scenic Boothbay Harbor, Maine from the top of the hill at Topside Inn, a bed & breakfast set in a beautiful 19th-century sea captain's home and two summer guesthouses. You'll find a warm welcome, comfort and style with modern amenities, fabulous breakfasts, and easy access to shopping, restaurants, boat excursions, botanical gardens, hiking trails and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your Topside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.