“Great meal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant

Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Hill
Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant
You added Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant to your Saves list
125 South Street, Blue Hill, ME 04614   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blue Hill
Maine
“Great meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We accepted the adventure of trying "spelt" for the first time, and found it to be wonderful. It's a type of wheat dough that is offered as an alternative crust with their pizza and calzones. A slight "nutty" taste really adds to it! My husband raved about his Type O Calzone....said it was the best calzone he had ever had. My fountain soda did taste a little funny, but our server was quick to provide another. Unfortunately, that one was still off, and our server soon arrived with a can of soda! I was impressed by her initiative to please us, even though I had agreed to take another flavor. We came here at the suggestion of a good friend, and we will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, excellent value, and wonderful hospitality. We very much enjoyed staying there and felt home. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012
Martha's Vineyard Ma.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I had business at Maine Maritime. The room was clean and comfortable with heaters for the cold weather. the restaurant is very good, pub is quaint with good food. Pizza in the wood fired area. I would stay there again. I ordered food and brought to room. I also ate in the pub. Breakfast is average.

Room Tip: suite #2 has seperate king bedroom and small sitting area, micro, fridge. Clean and comfortable...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Augusta, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Pros: room was clean, comfortable, quiet. The restaurant was really, really good: great beer selection, friendly service, casual food with a eye to local ingredients. Not fancy, just very high quality pub food, including great desserts made on site.
Con: it is very sad to have to write this because I would have liked to reccommend this place without reservation,but the breakfast was a jarring contrast to the amazing meal in the restaurant. While continental breakfast can be fine, this was what you'd find in the Super 8. It is beyond wrong to serve fake blueberry muffins ( jiffy?) in Maine. There is so much good local food in Blue Hill that Yoplait and Kellogs is just inexcusable.
However, my husband was not as put out as I (he accuses me of being a breakfast snob) and I would go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Winter Harbor, Maine, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We live nearby and eat at Barncastle all year...more so in the winter! We visited last in December with our three sons and had a great meal. Pizza and mussels and great salad. All fresh ingredients. The restaurant was chilly, we wished that the fireplace near us was lit. Service was mediocre, server was efficient but not overly friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Excellent, relaxed atmosphere--and food that is delicious, interesting, and very well-prepared. In the cold weather months, the pub room with its blazing fire is deeply welcoming. In warm weather, the dining areas are kept pleasantly cool.
The crabcakes are the best we've ever had in any restaurant: there is no filler; they are all crab! The wood-fired pizza is extraordinary. The steamed mussels are A+. On the menu, there's something for everybody. Also, the wine and beer selection is excellent. And there's a full bar.
Prices are very reasonable, especially for food and service of this high quality. We go every Tuesday evening, and we're always glad we did!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Gorham, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I stayed at Barncastle while attending a 1 week training at Wooden Boat School in Brooklin. Wooden Boat is an easy 20 minute drive away. I did not wish to stay in Brooklin as I wanted to be able to get away to work after class. I stayed in Suite 2 on the second floor, which is a 2 room suite. The room was in the front of the hotel, right on the road. Road noise was loud and there was no A/C, but I found that if I opened the window until I went to bed, the 50 degree outside temp had made the room comfortable. When the weather did heat up later in the week, the staff provided a window aircondition for the bedroom. The bed was very comfortable. There is a small mini fridge and microwave in the room which is handy. The flat screen tv came in fine. I did not try the pull out couch. I ate twice at the restuarant and had a very nice meal both times. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant? Share your experiences!