“Indie Brit food in Bethal Maine” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Fairfield, Maine
“Indie Brit food in Bethal Maine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I ate at the Jolly Drayman Pub this summer during the Sunday River Tough Mountain Challenge weekend and had a decent but not overwhelming experience. The food is British Indian pub grub, and from the moment you walk in you are made to feel like you are in an old British pub. It is small but cozy and has a really cool vibe to the dining room. The menu is printed on newspaper which is also unique. Simone I started with an order of potato pancakes, and the size of the portion was huge. It was at least half a bags worth of little fried patties. I say bags worth because that's what they are, frozen patties from a bag that you can get down the road at the store. Satisfying and crispy, and addictive but not fresh or homemade. For our entrees, Simone got a salad with two large wedges of (kinda) local Vermont Cabot cheddar cheese, crusty rolls, spicy mango chutney and a good sized pickled onion. I have never tried a pickled onion before but it was surprisingly sweet and tender and it almost tasted like an apple.It went great with the sharpness of the cheese and It was the highlight of the salad. Unlike my wife, I opted for a real meal and went with Chicken Korma. This creamy almond and saffron coconut Chicken dish rivaled any that I have had at any Indian restaurant. It was rich, well balanced and full of flavor in every bite. It came with a traditional thin and crispy Poppadom cracker and for an up charge I ordered Naan Bread also. The Naan Bread was good but (again) came from the local grocery store...and in fact looked like the same exact brand I currently have in my own freezer. It was served with good refreshing cool Raita and some burn your butt chutney on the side. For dessert I had an excellent Chocolate Mousse cup that I would keep coming back for. Simone decided on a liquid dessert in the form of a very strong knock your clothes off Chocolate Martini that went down easy and made her smile for hours after. Overall the Jolly Drayman gets mixed reviews. Some items blew me away and others could have had alot more effort put into them. One point off for not authentic frozen store bought foods. Three stars.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The pub and restaurant are small, but the service is friendly and the food is good, with large portions. My boyfriend got the fish and chips and I had the chicken pasty - both very good and filling. Their butterscotch bread pudding was lacking, but I'm a bread pudding snob. The atmosphere is wonderful and I would definitely go back to try more of the menu!

Visited March 2013
Lancashire, England
“Still quaint and worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We returned to the Drayman for two nights this year on our annual ski trip to SUnday River. I have to say it is stil a very pleasant evening with great food and is really good value for money. You must try the drayman steak with the crab hollandaise it is sublime. The owners and staff are pleasant enough but could put a little more effort into being more friendly. Will hopefully see you again next year.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not your typical bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently dined at the Jolly Drayman when we were in the area skiing for the week. The place is cute and cozy, decorated like an old English Pub. Were were seated in the pub area which only had a couple of tables. The chairs were small and none of us sat on them. We sat on the bench at the table where there were pillows. It was quite comfy. What I really liked about this place is the variety on the menu. After skiing for days, and eating at the other restaurants in the area, we were so sick of eating the typical fare such as nachos, chili, pizza, fries. My husband ordered the wellies which are individual portions of Beef Wellington. He did have to send it back to the kitchen since it was very undercooked but once it returned, it was delicious. My son had the mac and cheese with bangers. This was homemade and delicious. There were a few Indian dishes surprisingly, in typical British fashion. I tried the Chicken Korma. It was good. I would have liked a few more almond slices and perhaps raisins, but overall, it hit the spot. The service was a bit slow but since we don't have small children and weren't in a big hurry, we didn't mind. It gave us a chance to relax and enjoy a drink before dinner. It was just the owners (husband and wife) working. He tended bar and she waited tables. Desserts were good too. I would definately go back if I am in the area again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Run!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hey, we just went to have a burger. Pretty easy to make a burger look presentable, right? Well, if you like soggy plain lettuce leaves on the side, if you don't mind having to ask for refills of water (basic waitstaff etiquette!), and if you aren't going to mind finding a 3/4" broken piece of a skewer (from a different meal, we were told... what does THAT mean?!) then you'll do just fine here.

Me? No way. Plus, the tables are so close, we were passing ketchup back and forth (because it didn't come with the meal, go figure...)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere