“Still quaint and worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Lancashire, England
“Still quaint and worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We returned to the Drayman for two nights this year on our annual ski trip to SUnday River. I have to say it is stil a very pleasant evening with great food and is really good value for money. You must try the drayman steak with the crab hollandaise it is sublime. The owners and staff are pleasant enough but could put a little more effort into being more friendly. Will hopefully see you again next year.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Not your typical bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently dined at the Jolly Drayman when we were in the area skiing for the week. The place is cute and cozy, decorated like an old English Pub. Were were seated in the pub area which only had a couple of tables. The chairs were small and none of us sat on them. We sat on the bench at the table where there were pillows. It was quite comfy. What I really liked about this place is the variety on the menu. After skiing for days, and eating at the other restaurants in the area, we were so sick of eating the typical fare such as nachos, chili, pizza, fries. My husband ordered the wellies which are individual portions of Beef Wellington. He did have to send it back to the kitchen since it was very undercooked but once it returned, it was delicious. My son had the mac and cheese with bangers. This was homemade and delicious. There were a few Indian dishes surprisingly, in typical British fashion. I tried the Chicken Korma. It was good. I would have liked a few more almond slices and perhaps raisins, but overall, it hit the spot. The service was a bit slow but since we don't have small children and weren't in a big hurry, we didn't mind. It gave us a chance to relax and enjoy a drink before dinner. It was just the owners (husband and wife) working. He tended bar and she waited tables. Desserts were good too. I would definately go back if I am in the area again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Run!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hey, we just went to have a burger. Pretty easy to make a burger look presentable, right? Well, if you like soggy plain lettuce leaves on the side, if you don't mind having to ask for refills of water (basic waitstaff etiquette!), and if you aren't going to mind finding a 3/4" broken piece of a skewer (from a different meal, we were told... what does THAT mean?!) then you'll do just fine here.

Me? No way. Plus, the tables are so close, we were passing ketchup back and forth (because it didn't come with the meal, go figure...)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
MA
“Wish that we had dined here sooner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Recently dined here, on our last night of a 6 night stay in the area, and very much enjoyed the traditional Pub atmosphere, Ales and menu. My husband and I enjoyed the spring rolls as an appetizer as they were light and crispy and not your typical spring rolls ("Two Crispy Spring Rolls Stuffed with Savory Chicken. Served with Buffalo Blue Cheese and Sweet Chili Sauces") ~ delicious. My husband had the fish and chips ("A Heaping Portion of North Atlantic Haddock & Hand Cut French Fries,Traditional Beer Batter, Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs"), which was the all you can eat special. The portion was so large that we could not imagine how anyone would order more! My husband finished all the fish and I had a bite and it was very good!

I had the "~ Chicken Korma ~ A Delicately Flavored & Mildly Spiced Chicken Curry, with Coconut, Almonds and Cream". This dish is "served over Basmati Rice with an Assortment of Chutneys and a Poppadom" The portion was also very large and delicious. I could not finish it, so our server packaged it up to go with extra yogurt and mango chutney, and the garlic naan. There was enough for my husband and I to share as a meal the next evening. In addition, we were served warm rolls. I wish that we had room to share a desert, but we were more than satisfied.

The only challenge for us in dinning here, is that our appetizer came out well before our drinks (in fact we had finished our appetizer by the time our drinks, which we were really thirsty for, were served). And, we were finished eating our appetizer for quite a period of time before our order was taken for a our main course selections. But, even with those inconveniences we would return to dine at this Pub the next time we are in the area. There were so many items on the menu we would have liked to try.

Overall it was a very positive dinning experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Good food but they need help.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

They appeared to be very short staffed as the owners were waiting the tables. The food was good, but not great. The meat was undercooked and when sent back for further cooking returned burned on the outside and still undercooked on the inside. The restaurant needs a thorough cleaning – it really is unappetizing to see coffee splatter all over the wall while trying to enjoy the meal.
The atmosphere is cute and cozy, it’s a tight squeeze but that helps keep you warm. The menu is presented in a newspaper style form which is very fun to read. A lot of interesting little tidbits to read.
The menu is a little overpriced but if your food arrives as ordered it is well worth it. A small salad with dinner would have been nice as we waited a bit for our meal, but my mistake for not asking. The free rolls were nice, as long as you’re not gluten intolerant.
Not really a great place to take a family with small children, definitely more of an adult restaurant. Very little wiggle room for kids.

Visited January 2013