“Fine for a wedding weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge

Save Saved
You added Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge to your Saves list
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Searsport Avenue, Route 1, Belfast, ME 04915 (Formerly Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge)   |
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maine
“Fine for a wedding weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This property is fine though it needs updating. View was beautiful, right on the water. We had adjoining rooms which was helpful. Restaurant food was not bad. On a return trip we would prefer to stay in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and the view. I can understand that you may want to stay in town on future visits. Downtown Belfast is alluring and has plenty of activity. Should you choose to enjoy the peace and the view, we would be happy to serve you again.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

It is not beach front but the views were spectacular. The hotel is about 300 yards to the ocean (cliff). Nice balconies to sit on and enjoy the view. We ordered a pizza from the restaurant and enjoyed it on the balcony. Clean beds and rooms. Quaint and affordable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the facilities, the view, and the food from the restaurant. We look forward to serving you on your future visits to Belfast.
Long Valley, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Belfast is located at the junction of US 1, the Coastal Highway, and Maine Route 3, about half way between the Camden / Rockport area and Bar Harbor and Acadia. The Comfort Inn is a mile or two north (or east) of town along US 1. The location is convenient for accessing a good amount of the central Maine coast. I chose this place for a one-night stay based on location and the favorable reviews on this site.

WHAT WAS GOOD: Rooms are nicely appointed and include some extra conveniences like microwaves and refrigerators. Everything is clean and up to date.…Every room has a view of the ocean and a semi-private balcony or sitting area. The views are as nice as other reviewers have indicated….It’s really nice to have an on-site restaurant in a location like this that’s a bit removed from town. I thought the food, atmosphere and service at Ocean's Edge Restaurant was very good….The complimentary breakfast is very generous and includes eggs, sausage and those DIY Belgian waffle makers in addition to your standard cold stuff….Front desk personnel were very friendly and welcoming. I really liked the complimentary drink coupon for Ocean's Edge Restaurant at check-in….There’s a nice indoor pool and sundeck with views of the lawn and ocean.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER: For this price range I really can’t think of anything.

THINGS TO KNOW: The property is located a mile or two from the center of Belfast along US 1. There’s not much within walking distance….All rooms are accessed from a central corridor and look out toward the rear of the property so there’s no issue with noise from the highway. You won’t even know there’s a highway out front until you exit for the parking lot.

BOTTOM LINE: This is an exceptionally nice and well run property at a good price. Stay here if you don’t mind being a little removed from town and situated along a busy highway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind review. I was pleased that you enjoyed the accommodations, staff and the food at the complimentary breakfast and at Ocean's Edge Restaurant.
Yes, we are a couple of miles from the center of town, but that's what makes for a restful location and the beautiful view.
Thank you again for writing. We hope to see you again.
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have stayed here for three nights during our Maine trip this year. It can be on the pricey side (we paid $120 plus tax), but the view is worth that alone. Our room was fine - clean and well maintained. I have not noticed the moldy smell mentioned by another reviewer. The indoor pool and hot tub are great on a cool evening. We have not eaten here as there are SO many great places in and around Belfast. All the rooms face the ocean.

Room Tip: Recommend getting a third floor room (top floor)....the view is even better from here.
Green Features: no idea....did not notice. but it is nicely decorated with flowers.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
As a top contributor to Tripadvisor, I was honored that you rated us so well. Thank you. More importantly, than you for staying with us so many times. We appreciate our repeat guests and the frank input you give us. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Farmington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here about a week in August. First of all I'd like to say how nice I think it is that the manager responds to every review; very nice! The customer service here is excellent. The people at the front desk were never frustrated, but always willing to help if needed. When we first arrived, we had booked a 2 queen room, however when we got to the front desk they mentioned a king room had opened up so we took that. Didn't even see the 2 queen room. However the layout of the king was a little odd. Its a long room with a narrow strip connecting the king with the living area. The thing is the bedroom has no view. Instead the living area (which has a pullout sofa, kitchenette) does. Anyway we left this room because we were worried about an A/C problem; we were concerned that not enough A/C would circulate thru the narrow hallway to the bedroom which had a fan, but no separate A/C. So we decided to go back to the desk & get the 2 queen room w/balcony. So we went with a 2 queen with fridge and micro for about 5 days. I'll admit the carpet was worn & dated, but we didn't mind much as the room was large enough to accommodate a cot as well. The pool was nice, beautiful view of the bay. One thing about the pool was it seemed to vary in temp over the course of the week. One day the heater jets were not on. The same went for the jacuzzi, one day it was extremely hot, the next sort of luke warmish. The breakfast was quite good-eggs, sausage, blueberry and plain waffles, bagels, eng. muffins, toast, pastries, cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, juices, h.choc. & coffee. It was a good breakfast. On the last night of our stay we moved into the Presidential Suite. It was a real, two room suite with two pocket doors to give privacy to the main bedroom if desired. Very spacious. Nice roomy handicapped acc. bathroom, well-stocked kitchenette, comfy beds, and a wonderful sofa bed. (I had slept on the cot in the other room). There was a huge hot tub in the room with a view that was fantastic. The hot tub was nice, although slightly hard to figure out. This room also had a slightly larger balcony than the other room. All in all, it was a wonderful stay with great rooms, excellent staff and the best view in town!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are pet friendly. Also the restaurant and pool is on the first floor so tho...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for noticing that I respond to each review. I worked for Marriott Corporation years ago, and I was astounded to hear that Mr. Marriott actually read 10% of the letters that were sent to the office of consumer affairs! Guest experiences were important to him. They are certianly important to me.
I remember hearing about the issue of air circulation regarding the king suites. I am glad that you were comfortable in the double queen and the Presidential suite.
By the number of reviews you have written, I can tell that you are well-traveled. I am glad that you found us to your liking.
I hope that you will be able to com back to Belfast and join us again.
Lewiston, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I don't normally stay at comfort inn's but this was the only hotel with any vacancy's, I have to say that this commfort inn is the nicest and cleanest comfort inn I have ever stayed at!
My oldest son is on crutches and the front desk woman was very sweet and helped accommodate our needs for making his stay comfortable! Yes the TV is out dated from other hotels but to a kid it doesn't matter, I read a review that said the rooms inside and out spelled moldy, I do not know what they are talking about since I have a mold allergy and I am able to stay in the building with no worries!

Very nice and very impressed!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for trying a Comfort Inn. I read from your review that you usually stay at more upscale accommodations. I am glad that you chose us and that you enjoyed your experience. We are gradually changing the televisions. It is tal\king us a little longer since we aren't putting in the standard 32" televisions that other hotels are using. as we replace our TVs, we are upgrading to a 42" commercial-grade television.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I wasn't expecting much from a Comfort Inn, but I wasn't expecting this. It's a dank, very dirty and very dated hotel. The rooms are ridiculously over-priced for what you get. Yes, the view is nice, but that's all this place has going for it. Couldn't get rid of that moldy smell that seems to be all over the hotel. The carpets everywhere need to be ripped out and replaced. They just are not maintaining this hotel (e.g., there were two nice looking chairs in our room, but the seats cushions were all stained and the bottom was falling out of the footstools. Just clean/fix that. It left me not wanting to sit in them!)

We thought we might at least enjoy a breakfast on the large deck off the lobby, but there were only four tables (could easily have fit eight out there) and the guests left so much food all over the floor of the deck that you didn't know where to step. The staff didn't seem to notice the mess, despite having walked out there twice. The breakfast is the typical high carbohydrate tasteless offering common to lower-end hotels.

At $190 per night, we feel totally ripped off. We've stayed at Comfort Inns before and they were in much better condition. These rooms aren't worth more than $100 - even with the view. Too bad, because with some investment, this could be a great place because of the view.

Bottom line: If you want a clean hotel, you will need to chose someplace else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for visiting, and than you for your review. I'll try to figure out which room you were in that you considered dank, dirty and dated. As you can see from other reviews, that is not the norm for our rooms.
I see that you were also looking for more than carbohydrates for breakfast. For proteins, we have scrambled eggs, sausage, hard-boiled eggs, and yogurts. For natural sugars, we have three types of fresh fruit. Of course, we have an assortment of breads, bagels, danish, cereals and freshly made waffles for those who enjoy them.
It is true that are rates are higher in the summer. You are here during the peak season on the coast of Maine. Our rates begin to drop on Labor Day and continue down until our winter rates begin in November.
I hope that you will have a chance to visit us again and try another room, as well as experiencing all of our breakfast offerings.
Barry Asalone

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!