“Not what I was expecting!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge

Save Saved
You added Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge to your Saves list
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Searsport Avenue, Route 1, Belfast, ME 04915 (Formerly Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge)   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lewiston, Maine
“Not what I was expecting!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I don't normally stay at comfort inn's but this was the only hotel with any vacancy's, I have to say that this commfort inn is the nicest and cleanest comfort inn I have ever stayed at!
My oldest son is on crutches and the front desk woman was very sweet and helped accommodate our needs for making his stay comfortable! Yes the TV is out dated from other hotels but to a kid it doesn't matter, I read a review that said the rooms inside and out spelled moldy, I do not know what they are talking about since I have a mold allergy and I am able to stay in the building with no worries!

Very nice and very impressed!

• Stayed August 2013
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for trying a Comfort Inn. I read from your review that you usually stay at more upscale accommodations. I am glad that you chose us and that you enjoyed your experience. We are gradually changing the televisions. It is tal\king us a little longer since we aren't putting in the standard 32" televisions that other hotels are using. as we replace our TVs, we are upgrading to a 42" commercial-grade television.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I wasn't expecting much from a Comfort Inn, but I wasn't expecting this. It's a dank, very dirty and very dated hotel. The rooms are ridiculously over-priced for what you get. Yes, the view is nice, but that's all this place has going for it. Couldn't get rid of that moldy smell that seems to be all over the hotel. The carpets everywhere need to be ripped out and replaced. They just are not maintaining this hotel (e.g., there were two nice looking chairs in our room, but the seats cushions were all stained and the bottom was falling out of the footstools. Just clean/fix that. It left me not wanting to sit in them!)

We thought we might at least enjoy a breakfast on the large deck off the lobby, but there were only four tables (could easily have fit eight out there) and the guests left so much food all over the floor of the deck that you didn't know where to step. The staff didn't seem to notice the mess, despite having walked out there twice. The breakfast is the typical high carbohydrate tasteless offering common to lower-end hotels.

At $190 per night, we feel totally ripped off. We've stayed at Comfort Inns before and they were in much better condition. These rooms aren't worth more than $100 - even with the view. Too bad, because with some investment, this could be a great place because of the view.

Bottom line: If you want a clean hotel, you will need to chose someplace else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for visiting, and than you for your review. I'll try to figure out which room you were in that you considered dank, dirty and dated. As you can see from other reviews, that is not the norm for our rooms.
I see that you were also looking for more than carbohydrates for breakfast. For proteins, we have scrambled eggs, sausage, hard-boiled eggs, and yogurts. For natural sugars, we have three types of fresh fruit. Of course, we have an assortment of breads, bagels, danish, cereals and freshly made waffles for those who enjoy them.
It is true that are rates are higher in the summer. You are here during the peak season on the coast of Maine. Our rates begin to drop on Labor Day and continue down until our winter rates begin in November.
I hope that you will have a chance to visit us again and try another room, as well as experiencing all of our breakfast offerings.
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for four days in August. Fairly decent place. High points were view from room (all rooms face the water), sitting balcony, patio for breakfast, and nice indoor pool and hot tub. Low points were toxic smelling mildew in elevator and mediocre or worse breakfast offerings. But if you want an economic place to stay in Belfast during tourist season, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Middle floor is best because the elevator is not required.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. I am glad that overall, you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry about the smell in the elevator. We had heavy rains earlier in the summer, and had water infiltration in the elevator shaft. The water problem has been resolved, but the wet smell remains. We'll work to get that issue resolved.
Breakfast is a bit of a puzzle. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy our offerings. Included in the room are fresh-made waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, hard-boiled eggs, assorted danish, muffins, bagels, breads, six types of cereal, three types of juice, three types of fruit, coffee, teas, decafe, hot chocolate, etc. Please contact me at 207-338-2090 and let me know what you were looking for. I would appreciate your input to better improve the breakfast experience for all our guests.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We travel with 2 small chihuahua's. what makes this so nice is large lawn leading down to ocean front. Access through level one back door. Also adjacent Resturant attached to lower level. Offers take out right to room. Menu choices are not bad and food was very good quality. I would definitely return for some more RR.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks for writing. I am glad that you and your four-legged friends enjoyed your visit here. I was pleased that you also enjoyed the food from the restaurant. We're very proud of our restaurant and hope that may others enjoy it.
We hope to see you again soon.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is by far the best Comfort Inn I have ever seen. The views are fantastic, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff is friendly, and the restaurant is great. I had a reservation at another location, but when I saw this place, I cancelled and basked in Maine's coastal views. All the rooms have an ocean view. I was on the 3rd floor and had an excellent view.

When I was eating dinner at the restaurant, I saw a small cruise ship pass right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words. It was nice that you could cancel your reservation elsewhere to stay and dine with us. We hope to see you again.
Lucedale Ms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our family recently stayed at Comfort Inn. It is a beautiful place and the view is great. There is a path to walk to the ocean with chairs to enjoy the view. Indoor poor and the restaurant located in the hotel has AMAZING pizza. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view. We stayed on third floor with balcony and chairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the staff and facilities. I was particularly happy to read that you felt the restaurant's pizza was amazing. There are so many offerings on the menu, that I didn't get a chance to try the pizza until recently. You're right. It is great! Thank you for reporting it. We hope to see you soon.
PEI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you are anywhere near this area of Maine, stay at this hotel. The decor may look a bit dated but this place is soooo relaxing. Every room has a balcony or patio with a beautiful water view. There is a rocky beach, which is no good for swimming or sunbathing, but is perfect for enjoying a morning coffee to the sound of waves splashing in. You can enjoy it while sitting on one of the strategically placed driftwood logs or Adirondack chairs set up near the water. But if you like swimming, don't worry, the hotel has a great pool area. It is a warm indoor pool, surounded by screen doors which let in the fresh air and has lounge chairs just outside for enjoying the sun. There is also a hottub and sauna.The attached restaurant even had a wood campfire burning on the patio where you can sit an enjoy an evening beverage and there is a large deck where you can enjoy your free breakfast or 24-hour coffee and tea. We stayed here a few years ago and liked it so much that we drove several hours out of the way to stay here again...it was worth the drive!

Room Tip: The 2nd and 3rd floor rooms have a more private balcony than the 1st floor patios.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
You wrote a book! Thank you. Your review reads like a tourism brochure for our hotel. Thank you for pointing out many of the little things that, combined make for a great experience. With 54 reviews under your belt, I am sure you have seen quite a few hotels. Thanks for rating us so well.
We hope that you will get back this way soon.
Barry Asalone

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!