“Greatest Belfast lodging” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge

You added Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge to your Saves list
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Searsport Avenue, Route 1, Belfast, ME 04915 (Formerly Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge)   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Albany, NY
“Greatest Belfast lodging”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, and while it's hard to build on perfection, the hotel just gets better and better. The views are spectacular, the rooms extremely comfortable, food for both breakfast in the lobby and dinner at the adjoining restaurant awesome, friendly, accommodating staff, etc. I will continue to stay here and appreciate the pet-friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: If you have a pet, ask for a ground floor room that has direct access to outside.
Green Features: I would have liked to have had trash receptacles for my doggie poop bags close to my room. There were none available. Otherwise, the hotel is very environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. I was glad to read that you are a frequent visitor and that you enjoy all aspects of the hotel and restaurant. We look forward to serving you and your pet again soon.
Thank you again for writing!

Barry Asalone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Prospect, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. The staff is friendly & very accommodating - George at the front desk is wonderful! The grounds are beautiful and the location to downtown Belfast is great. An indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, laundry facilities and a nice continental breakfast added to our stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for writing, specifically your comment on George. I will be happy to share that with him. I am glad that you noticed the grounds as well. We spent quite a bit of time adding lots of color to the front. It's hard to compete with the view from the back, but we thought that we would give it a go. We hope to see you up this way again. Thanks for visiting.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My three adult children and I stayed here and the suite was wonderful with a full kitchen, living area, balcony and 2 TV's, and a hot tub overlooking Penobscot Bay. There is a sunny deck with a water view where you can eat breakfast.
Incredibly comfortable beds!

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite with a name something like Majestic View...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for writing. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Grandview Suite and the service provided by our staff. I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again.

Northern New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved the cleanliness of the rooms, although for some reason our room was never cleaned??? also the reason we didnt leave a tip. Loved the gorgeous view...room was priced fairly. But. It's terribly old, and in need of a tune up. Hall ways have odor, and air conditioning buttons were faulty. We fixed ours, but my elderly parents didnt let us know until too late..and slept in very hot conditions..that bothered me tremendously . Please know we did NOT complain about these issues, but I did want to share. The front desk seemed very helpful, and I'm sure they would have helped, but just wasn't worth it. We left a day early. I wouldn't stay here again, but please know our room was clean, were just use to higher standards.

Room Tip: Check air conditioners, and open all windows in hallway...helps w odor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I wish you had told us about the airconditioner. Our staff is available and willing to do whatever is needed to provide complete guest satisfaction. Regarding the age of the rooms, we frequently hear that people are amazed that the property is 16 years old. They often say that it looks new. I regularly inspect rooms, so I am bound to run into your rooms where we can update whatever looks old. We are continuingly updating, most recently adding refrigerators and microwaves to all rooms. I was glad to read that you found the rooms especially clean. I do hope that you will try us again and enjoy an experience similar to our other reviewers.
Sincerely
Montpelier, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is an update on my last review, from one year ago. Both reviews are based on paying off season rates-- as soon as summer vacation time rolls around, the daily rates go through the roof! The hotel is well managed and maintained-- the manager, Barry A., is a true superstar in the hotel industry. The exterior is inviting and well kept. The interior is generally well kept, though to my mind, it felt slightly dated. The hotel overlooks a Maine ocean bay, and, perhaps, as a result, the long interior hallways that one walks through seem a bit damp, with a slightly "off" odor. No matter, the rooms are well kept and clean. Furniture is "motel grade" but wholly adequate and in good condition. Clean, fresh sheets and pillow cases, lots of fluffy towels. One thing that is a personal pet peeve of mine is the flimsy plastic cups that are provided in little hard to open plastic wraps. This hotel provides these things for use in the rooms-- I wish they'd offer something better, more pleasant to drink from, like glass. But as I said, this is a pet peeve, and a small one at that. More to the point, our room-- maybe all the rooms, offered a small porch where we could sit and watch the bay at the end of the day while enjoying a libation and a book. The hotel welcomes dogs, and during our last visit, our dog had a terrific stay and enjoyed walking on the hotel's grounds and trotting down to the bay for a dip in the water. This hotel is well run and shows attention to detail by the staff and management. We had a good meal in the hotel restaurant, although it was a bit slow in getting food to our table. The complimentary breakfast is on a par with the free breakfasts provided by most hotels. But it's hard to argue with the price. All in all, we had a good stay in this good hotel.

Room Tip: If I'm correct, the rooms in which dogs are allowed are on the ground floor, with each room havi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for returning and your updated review. I was happy to read that you still find us an excellent value even with our summer rates. As you pointed out, we are even a better value in the off-season.
I am glad that you enjoyed the restaurant as well. We were fortunate to secure a great Chef and support staff in the previous year, and have had great comments ever since.
You are correct that all the pet friendly rooms are on the ground floor overlooking the water. Each one has a rear door leading to our ten acres overlooking the water.
I hope that we can look forward to seeing you again in the fall. Oh, thanks for the personal compliment. I am fortunate to get to meet many interesting people from all over. That makes what I do so much fun.

Ashland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great view, friendly staff, nice and clean. Great amenities, too. (I noticed the pool and hot tub were handicap-accessible.) Be sure to check out the hotel's restaurant, too. After a long day exploring the area, we got back to our hotel rather late and decided a quick trip down the hall to the restaurant was the easiest option. We were glad we made that decision. Lobster popover? Oh, yeah.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
What a nice compliment: "Clean & Friendly". What more could one want in the hotel business?
You had the Lobster Turnover? Yes, it is my summer favorite. Last summer, I was so sad to see the chef stop making them that she made sure that I had the last one of the season. I do love them.
Handicapped accessible: We added a lift to both the pool and the hot tub last winter. People who have difficulty getting in and out of the hot tub or pool now have the help they need.
Thanks for point these things out. I am pleased that your enjoyed your stay.

General manager
Falmouth, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great location with every room overlooking Penobscot Bay. The rooms are clean and comfortable with microwave and refrigerator. A very good free breakfast and the attached restaurant has a good selection of local seafood and beer. This is my last stay before it converts to a Fireside Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hopefully, it won't be your last stay before we convert to Fireside Inn & Suites. Choice Hotels, the parent company of Comfort Inn, suggested that we delay converting until January 1, 2014. They recognize that we are a good representation for them, and that there isn't another Choice product for 45 minutes in any direction.
Thank you for writing. I am pleased that you enjoyed the rooms, the restaurant and the staff. Any changes that we will be making after converting to Fireside Inn & Suites will be upgrades like adding the Keurig coffee brewers and upgrading our soaps and shampoos to Bath and Body Works products.
So, I hope that you will visit us this Fall. If not, We'll be happy to serve you next year in the newest conversion to Fireside Inn & Suites.
Barry Asalone

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!