“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge

Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Searsport Avenue, Route 1, Belfast, ME 04915 (Formerly Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge)   |
Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Madison, NH
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

When looking for a place to stay over the internet, it is hard to tell what hotels/motels are really like and whether they are stretching their quality. The Comfort Inn , Belfast Maine is true to it's description. They provided an online video to see what the inn is like. Because of the video, we made the decision to stay there. Excellent choice! We even added another night to our stay. Incredible views from all rooms, really. The hallways were scented with clove, delightful! Their restaurant is excellent with an award winning chef. The staff was friendly and helpful. We where there in early June so the full season rates had not started yet. We paid around $109, very low. We were delighted and will definately stay there again.

Room Tip: I do not think any room is better than another, each has a spectacular view.
Green Features: This hotel is involved with environmental control.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us regarding your recent visit to Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge. I was happy to read that you enjoyed all the amenities especially the restaurant. We, and many others feel that the restaurant is a hidden gem, not something you would expect in a hotel restaurant. I hope that you had the chance to try Chef Hightower's lobster menu, which she runs all summer long. If not, come back before the leaves fly. We'll be here to serve you.

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Madison, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Saw add in "Jewel of the Maine Coast" mag.We live in the mountains of N.H. [Madison] but come to the Me. coast for our get away..Just what we were looking for [ nice "chain " motel, ocean view, clean, restaurant, breakfast, quiet] well the Oceans Edge gave us a 10 to the 10th.degree..We called from Augusta ,spoke to Kristen,she deserves $1.00hr. raise..She bent over many times to accomidate our requests,customer service to the 10th. After getting our requests filled we arrived to our room ,clean to the 10th.again[we checked]. The master housekeeper gets a 1.00hr raise also,service to the 10th..Went out on the balcony and the view 10 to the 10th..We did some exploring of the town and before long time to eat..We walk to the nicely decorated restaurant,[how mant 10's could there be] well the dinner was another..Having worked at a seafood rest.i have fried a clam or two so i had the fried clams[ not a speck of grit and fried perfectly, w/ supberb mashed,slaw ] cheese cake was great w/ caramel..Got to meet the chef's was a nice treat..Ate at restaurant 2nd. nite and another 10 to 10th..Ryan was very professional server w/ nice personality,friendly..Lost my cell phone and George at front desk went into search mode notifying staff to search and be on lookout[my drop from balcony and didn't realize,found cell and all o-k.] After writing a novel about the property[it deserves it] in ending stay here,feel the staff, the property,the food,the clean, and the GREAT views.. Am still crying having to leave..One suggestion,add more decorations[pictures, etc] to the bare walls.. As the saying goes "We'll be back"

Room Tip: Room 331, 2 doubles,upper and on the end,very quiet..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your extensive review, and your comments about the friendliness and kindness of the staff. I am fortunate to have the likes of Kristin, George and Ryan. They make my job easier, and our guests' stays more pleasant.
Again, thank you so much for your kind words. I will pass these on to each of them.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband was recently riding his bike from Bar Harbor to Belfast on the first leg of a long-distance bike ride. My daughter and I drove ahead to find accommodations in Belfast. I hadn't done any significant research about where to stay, but as we passed the Comfort Inn on Route 1, it looked inviting. The manager, Barry Asalone, happened to be on duty when I went in to check about rates. He told me that the military rate would be our best option...it always makes me happy when hotels offer a better rate for members of the armed services than for AARP or AAA! I booked a room and then started asking questions...Barry told me how we could drive to the pedestrian bridge that crosses the river into the town of Belfast, and he recommended the nearby Seng Thai restaurant. When my daughter and I walked into our room, we were astounded to see the gorgeous view of Belfast Bay from our window. I'd seen this view from the lobby when I was talking to Barry, but I had no idea that every room in the hotel has a view onto the bay. When my husband arrived on his bike, we walked next door to get an ice cream cone at "Th' Ice Cream Barn"--a charming place--and then we drove to the pedestrian bridge. Our walk around Belfast was delightful, and the meal at Seng Thai was outstanding. Then as we got ready to draw the curtains in the room for the night, a rainbow appeared in the clouds over the bay--a perfect compliment to this very pleasant Comfort Inn. Breakfast the next morning was very good, and the room was clean and airy. I recommend Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge to anyone traveling to or through Belfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I am fortunate to meet many enjoyable people in my work. Sadly, I can't remember them all. I do, however, remember you. Thank you for your service to our country, Captain. I remembered our conversation and how you and your daughter were going to traverse the footbridge to Belfast and dine on Thai food.
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the property and staff excellent. Hopefully, you won't wait until your husband rides by to stay again.
Thank you so much for your glowing review.

General manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights this April. Rooms were decent size, clean and had nice view. Staff was friendly and helpful. The best part of the stay though was the dinner we had from the restaurant in the hotel. It exceeded our expectation.

Would surely come back sometime in summer for another stay!!

• Stayed April 2013
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review of both the hotel and restaurant. I enjoy reading about what a pleasant surprize people have when they visit our restaurant. We are very proud of our Food & Beverage staff. I am happy that you also wrote about how clean and comfortable your room was during your visit and the friendliness of the staff. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Bangor, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We've held two retreats there and the staff were extremely helpful and accommodating. The continental breakfast was great and included eggs, sausage, coffee, juice, waffles, muffins, danish, etc. they offer a pool, hot tub, and sauna.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony and a view of the water.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for writing about your great experiences during retreats here. I am glad that you enjoyed the accommodations, staff and the breakfast. We enjoy hosting groups both large and small. We look forward to serving your third retreat next year.

Searsmont, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Kristen (I think was her name, cute girl with tattoos), was INCREDIBLY helpful! After having a less than pleasurable encounter with a hotel down the street trying to reserve rooms for a wedding party, she was amazing and took us around so we were able to look at rooms, and different size suites to fit our needs. We booked on the spot, I am mostly writing this hoping her supervisors see it and give her the recognition she deserves!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on Kristin. I am sorry that you had a sour experience with a hotel down the street, but I am glad that Kristin was able to turn it around for you here. I will pass this on to her supervisor and personally congratulate her for a job well done. Thank you. We look forward to serving your wedding group.

Hallowell, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed one night in a pet-friendly room with our 3 year-old, 7 lb. mini Dachshund. The room itself was dingy and uninviting. We thought it might be that way because pet-friendly rooms are not of the same caliber as those where pets are not allowed. We felt that the room was grungy, but decided to make the best of it and attempted to settle in the for the evening. As I pulled down the bedspread on my bed, I was disgusted to see dried vomit (or who knows what it was) on the bottom side of the bedspread. I was grossed out. One of the white hand towels in the bath, although folded, had something brown on it that looked fresh. We did not investigate to see what it was, but were grossed out for the second time. We did not sleep all night as we had concerns about the cleanliness (or lack thereof) in the room and wondered what other awful surprises might be uncovered (literally). For a major chain (Choice Hotels) this was a BIG disappointment and below the expected standards of quality. This was not a quality room. I'm sure that Choice Hotel standards do not sink to this level.

I do have to say, however, that the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful at all times.

It is my understanding that this hotel will join the Layfayette Hotel chain, under Fireside Inn and Suites name, on August 1, 2013. I hope this new company will bring this hotel up to acceptable standards.

Room Tip: Find a room in a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for writing a review. When we see a room through our guest's eyes, we can make improvements to better the guest experience for future guests.
I am sorry to hear about your room. We pride ourselves on our housekeeping. It is an area that many others on tripadvisor cite as excellent. I'm embarrassed that this was not the case in your room. I will try to garner from the information that you offered which room you were in and have the housekeeping manager follow up.
I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly, courteous and helpful. I hope that you can see the cleanliness issue as an unusual ocurrance and allow us to serve as your host in the future.

Barry Asalone

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!