“Retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge

Save Saved
You added Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge to your Saves list
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Searsport Avenue, Route 1, Belfast, ME 04915 (Formerly Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge)   |
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bangor, Maine, United States
“Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We've held two retreats there and the staff were extremely helpful and accommodating. The continental breakfast was great and included eggs, sausage, coffee, juice, waffles, muffins, danish, etc. they offer a pool, hot tub, and sauna.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony and a view of the water.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for writing about your great experiences during retreats here. I am glad that you enjoyed the accommodations, staff and the breakfast. We enjoy hosting groups both large and small. We look forward to serving your third retreat next year.

262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Searsmont, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Kristen (I think was her name, cute girl with tattoos), was INCREDIBLY helpful! After having a less than pleasurable encounter with a hotel down the street trying to reserve rooms for a wedding party, she was amazing and took us around so we were able to look at rooms, and different size suites to fit our needs. We booked on the spot, I am mostly writing this hoping her supervisors see it and give her the recognition she deserves!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on Kristin. I am sorry that you had a sour experience with a hotel down the street, but I am glad that Kristin was able to turn it around for you here. I will pass this on to her supervisor and personally congratulate her for a job well done. Thank you. We look forward to serving your wedding group.

Hallowell, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed one night in a pet-friendly room with our 3 year-old, 7 lb. mini Dachshund. The room itself was dingy and uninviting. We thought it might be that way because pet-friendly rooms are not of the same caliber as those where pets are not allowed. We felt that the room was grungy, but decided to make the best of it and attempted to settle in the for the evening. As I pulled down the bedspread on my bed, I was disgusted to see dried vomit (or who knows what it was) on the bottom side of the bedspread. I was grossed out. One of the white hand towels in the bath, although folded, had something brown on it that looked fresh. We did not investigate to see what it was, but were grossed out for the second time. We did not sleep all night as we had concerns about the cleanliness (or lack thereof) in the room and wondered what other awful surprises might be uncovered (literally). For a major chain (Choice Hotels) this was a BIG disappointment and below the expected standards of quality. This was not a quality room. I'm sure that Choice Hotel standards do not sink to this level.

I do have to say, however, that the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful at all times.

It is my understanding that this hotel will join the Layfayette Hotel chain, under Fireside Inn and Suites name, on August 1, 2013. I hope this new company will bring this hotel up to acceptable standards.

Room Tip: Find a room in a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for writing a review. When we see a room through our guest's eyes, we can make improvements to better the guest experience for future guests.
I am sorry to hear about your room. We pride ourselves on our housekeeping. It is an area that many others on tripadvisor cite as excellent. I'm embarrassed that this was not the case in your room. I will try to garner from the information that you offered which room you were in and have the housekeeping manager follow up.
I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly, courteous and helpful. I hope that you can see the cleanliness issue as an unusual ocurrance and allow us to serve as your host in the future.

Biddeford, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed here many times for several years while in Belfast for business. I recently have been spending time at a Camden location for work, and have chosen to drive the half hour back to Belfast every night to stay here. I am welcomed like family. My room is always spotless. The breakfast is pretty standard fare, but always ready early. The pool is clean and warm. The hot tub always works. The views are second to none, from every single room. The restaurant is outstanding, without exception.

Room Tip: All rooms have a water view. First floor door opens onto huge yard. I personally prefer 3rd floor ba...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit. I was pleased to read that you stay with us frequently and that you are treated like family. Thank you too for your comments regarding the restaurant being "outstanding, without exception".
It is quite a compliment that you are working in Camden and stay with us. We recognize that you have many options between Belfast and Camden. We are honored that you have chosen to stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here two nights while searching for property in the Belfast area. We had stayed here several years ago and were pleased to see the hotel upgraded and in clean, attractive condition. The restaurant was excellent. When I mentioned needing a gluten free menu, the chef came out to discuss my choices. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I hope that you were able to find a property in the area. Thank you for writing. Yes, we continually upgrade the property. As we switch to Fireside Inn & Suites in August, we will be adding Keurig Coffee brewers with great coffee from Green mountain Coffee Roasters and Soaps and shampoo from Bath & Body Works. We will continue to maintain our high cleanliness standards and our same rate structure.
I hope that you will have the opportunity to return soon.

Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed here many times for a weekend getaway and have always enjoyed it. As we did this past weekend. The staff is friendly, the hotel is located in a nice spot, facing the ocean and close to Belfast. We now have a puppy and they allowed him as well. It was a small extra charge for a pet friendly room which was located on the bottom floor with a back door to the lawn. I feared the room would be a bit run down as it was pet friendly but that wasn't the case. The room was clean and tidy. No issues at all. They had outside chairs on our patio area which was nice so that I could sit outside with the pup. I didnt think they would have them this time of year but was pleasantly surprised. The bed was comfy and we had a big screen tv, microwave and fridge. We had reservations at a nearby favorite restaurant (Delvino's) in Belfast but had to cancel them so we decided to call the onsite restaurant and ask if they offered room service. They were very kind and helpful but said they did not offer room service but did takeout. A menu was provided in the room which was helpful so we called in our order. Again, very pleasant staff. They told me they would call when it was ready and it would be about 20-30 minutes. 25 minutes later, they called. He went to pick it up and had a nice chat with the lady who took our order. This is where the BUT comes in....he ordered clams/shrimp dinner and I had the broiled haddock. His dinner had maybe 8 clams and 8 shrimp. The roasted vegatables and potatoes were so roasted that they were tough and hard. My fish was flavorless and the mashed potatoes had a odd texture to them. We also had fried mushrooms which were okay but they forgot the dipping sauce. Yes we could have gone back to get some but by then the food would have been cold. It came to us lukewarm but I kind of expect that with takeout although the restaurant was literally steps from our room. We had cheesecake and chocolate cake which was okay. I hear wonderful reviews about the restaurant and I am sure it would have been better had we gone there to eat and my expectations for takeout are not high, its takeout so you have to go with the flow sometimes but this time we ended up eating out of the onsite vending machine. That said, we would stay here again but not order takeout from the onsite restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for returning and writing about your most recent experience here. I am pleased that you continue to enjoy your visits here, and have now returned with your pet. I am sorry about your take-out order. We take great pride in our restaurant. I am very sorry that you didn't have a good experience. Thank you for saying that you will join us again. I encourage you to please try the restaurant.
South Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while conducting business at the local hospital. Very clean room. I would prefer to stay on an upper floor because all rooms have 2 doors, one to the inside of the hotel and another to a balcony or a patio on the first floor. I don't like having a door that opens to the outside on the first floor - it just makes me a little nervous when traveling alone and in such a remote area.

The wireless internet worked well and the bathroom was roomy. There was a microwave and refrigerator in my room which was very nice (although I hadn't brought anything to cook).

The long sprawling back lawn and view over the river (bay?) was beautiful!

The free breakfast was typical: waffles you make for yourself, some pastries, cereal, yogurts but not much fruit. I did manage to get a banana on the second day.

FYI - they are chagning their affiliation to Fireside Inn this summer and said that this is going to free up money to be able to make some improvements they have been wanting to do. I hope they install HD TVs in all rooms, I did hear that they are planning to put fireplaces in some rooms too.

I would definitely stay here again. I did not eat at the restaurant but would highly recommend Darby's in town - had dinner there twice! Great food and even better desserts!

Room Tip: Pick an upper floor if you don't like having a door (and window) in a first floor room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent visit. We're very fond of our hospital family. Thank you for working with them. I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and found that your room was clean and comfortable. I was dismayed to read that we seemed to have been short of fruit on your visit. We stock apples, oranges and bananas to give people a variety.
Yes, we are looking forward to changing our affiliation on August 1 to Fireside Inn & Suites. The most immediate change we will be making is to add Kuerig brewers and k-cups to each room. Finally, a great cup of in-room coffee! Also, we will be changing our soaps and shampoos to Bath & Body Works products. After that, we will be adding more 42" TVs and we will be adding fireplaces to a few rooms as well.
Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again.
Barry Asalone

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!