“Worth going back to again and again” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Salem, Massachusetts
“Worth going back to again and again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

What a great surprise this place was. My husband and I stopped in for lunch during our week's vacation in Midcoast Maine. We liked it so much the first time we made another trip back later in the week. Menu has a great variety for lunch and good beer options on tap as well. On our first visit My husband had the zucchini sliders with tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil pesto and I had the fried haddock sandwich. Both were super fresh and outstanding. 2nd trip I opted fore the fried haddock again in the fish and chips because it was just that good and my husband had the fresh Maine crab roll.....We ate both times at the bar and had friendly, attentive service. We will definitely be coming back on our next visit to the area. We stay in Camden but find the lunch options limited....So happy we found this little gem in pretty little Belfast.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Winterport, Maine
“Great french fries!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Love to eat here for lunch, they have a great haddock sandwich and a great ceaser salad with steak tips! The best part is they make sweet potato fires that are great and not soggy! Laid back and was even great with a large group!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine
“Longtime Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Darby's had been our "fall back" restaurant whenever we were in the Belfast area around lunch or supper time. Lately, however, we have tried other dining options when we travel to Belfast. The other day we went back to Darby's and found pretty much the same place we had remembered. The food was good, the atmosphere a little run down but still pleasant, and the staff efficient and friendly. It's still a great place to eat.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“a Must Dine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Great, laid back atmosphere with an excellent selection of food choices! I went with a conference group for dinner and everyone enjoyed their dinner from pasta to fried clams there was something for everyone.

Visited April 2013
“Seafood allergy? Stay away from Darby's!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

After reminding the waitress that I was very allergic to seafood, I enjoyed a great steak, mashed potatoes and green beans. Within 30 minutes of completing the meal, I was violently ill, alone in a hotel room, too sick to call 911. I had all the classic signs as my body fought to purge the poison for 12 hours straight. I was almost too weak to get back on the airplane for the ride home. Obviously their staff either has not been trained or was not careful about mixing regular food with seafood. If you are allergic to seafood, avoid Darby's in Belfast, Maine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Jerry S, Manager at Darby's, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Yoriyee,
I am very, very sorry you had an allergic reaction to food you consumed at Darby's, and I hate to picture you ill as you described. I agree, that's terrible! I wish you'd said which night you were here so we'd know who your waitress was and who was grilling steaks, so we could address them directly, and figure out how your food could have come in contact with seafood. At Darby's we encounter a wide variety of serious allergies every day, and I'm proud to say our hard working staff goes out of their way to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all. I regret that a staffer failed to protect you in this situation, but I do know that this is not typical. Again, we're very sorry and we thank you for taking the time to make us aware of this situation. Kim-Manager