“The Gothic in Belfast” 4 of 5 stars

+1 207-338-4684
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gothic is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 52 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Driven by season, The Gothic's menu captures the locality and essence of Maine.
New Sharon, Maine
“The Gothic in Belfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

Loved Belfast, loved the food at the Gothic, loved the old building the Gothic is in. The service at the Gothic was just weird: didn't get the orders correct, kept bringing the wrong drinks, and were very slow in bringing meals. However, this was one of my favorite dining experiences in a long time The food (vegetarian and local) was creative and delicious and the ambience was warm and friendly. The food was pricey and some might think the portions were small. But I thought it was worth it and would love to go back the next time I visit Belfast.

• Visited October 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Food, Tiny Portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

I've eaten here twice -- once last year when it was fabulous and again, last week when it wasn't. The restaurant has gone vegeterian in the interim, which is fine. The food itself was quite good. However, the portion size of my main dish wouldn't have filled up a 3-year old. I had the pasta with artichokes and mushrooms. Unfortunately, they were out of artichokes, so the waitress (who was excellent), said the chef would add more mushrooms. Ha! If there were 3 mushrooms in my bowl, it was a lot. There were maybe, 5 longish strands of pasta. I did a double take when the waitress first put the bowl the pasta was served in, in front of me. If it weren't for the kale salad (delicious, by the way), I had ordered for a starter, I would have walked out beyond hungry, given the prices they charge. They can do better than this, and they should. Until then, I'd stay away. Great atmosphere in an old bank -- this place has possibilities!

• Visited September 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Apex, North Carolina
“This meat eater loved this veggie place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

We were going to go to Delvino's, but it was way too loud for my dad, so we went looking for another dinner option. We had walked by the Gothic earlier and my dad stated he wanted to be adventurous and try it. I have to admit I was the hesitant on in the group…I like veggies, but wasn't sure I wanted them for an entire meal. Plus, since I was visiting Maine, all I wanted was seafood.

I am very happy to say that this place was delicious. We got 2 cocktails which were tasty and well-balanced. One app we ordered was the chilled ramen…all 3 of us loved it. For dinner, I got pasta with local mushrooms; it was a hearty dish full of mushroom flavor. One of the best meals I have ever had. My partner got a meal in which roasted carrots were the main feature and she loved it.
The only negative is that my dad's ravioli dish, while good, was a small portion. Despite that, we left full and satisfied.

The restaurant is in an old bank with many of the bank's feature's still evident. To give you an idea on price, my dinner was $15…fairly inexpensive. Next time we are in Maine visiting my dad, we will come back here!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The Gothic is making its presence known”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The Gothic we really wanted to give this restaurant a try last year but alas it was closed on the day we were in Belfast...Fast foward to August 19, 2014 success! Im gonna be brutally honest here I am not a vegan or vegetarian what I do like is Food prepared in kickass fashion in english it better taste and look good. The Gothic really has Great Food its flavorful, tasty and its quite memorable as well. Heres what We had for starters....My Girl ordered the Kale which includes Cashew, Pistachio puree, Tomatillo chutney, and Smoked pepper dressing...Awesome. I ordered the Chilled Ramen, Ramen noodle, Nori, Shiitake sesame and Cucumber. The mushrooms were marinated with such a punch of flavor with thinly sliced jalapeños, basil leaf all these items together in a small bowl was just the bomb explosion of tasty goodness! They also have fresh sourdough bread and foccia very nice... We were treated to the Chefs choice which consisted of 3 versions of melon this was done to perfection I hope you guys get opportunity to try this...The Entrees we chose Seared cauliflower and Bbq carrots let me tell ya these entrées sealed the deal for me beautifully presented equally superb I really encourage everybody to give The Gothic a chance to impress you also we're definately making a return visit hopefully so will you.

Arlington VA
“Inventive, fresh and delicious meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Wandered into the restaurant on a Friday night without a reservation and they welcomed us warmly and sat us in a prime window seat. The whole experience was great: a gorgeous setting, a waiter who really knew the menu and shared with pride that some of the veggies came from his own garden, and an impressive drink menu, including a wide selection of wines by the glass and inventive house-made cocktails.

And the food was excellent. I had the mushroom croquets, made with locally foraged mushrooms, and the seared cauliflower entree. Both included unexpected combinations of ingredients and complex flavors. My companion had the waiter-recommended ramen noodles and the swiss chard ravioli, which were also great. And dessert was one of the best either of us has had in a long time.

Highly recommend this gem.

• Visited August 2014