“An excellent alternative” 4 of 5 stars

207-443-2555
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Admiral Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 44 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington Street
North Carolina
“An excellent alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have been Solo Bistro fans for several years, but recently when we had family visiting, we decided that the menu at Admiral Steakhouse would be more to everyone's liking. Though the night we were there a high school reunion group was also, but the service for our table of 6 was friendly and attentive (without being cloying or overly chummy). Two had prime rib and found the smaller cut to be more than adequate; one had tuna steak, one had a 12 oz. filet mignon, and two had the lazy lobster -- I was one of the last. The sherry cream sauce with the lobster is excellent. Several of us had the tomato, mozarella, and basil (Caprese) salad, and one had oyster shooters. All in all, a most enjoyable meal.

Since Solo Bistro no longer is open on Sunday, we made reservations for a Sunday evening after a show at Maine State Music Theater. So often our initial impression just doesn't hold up on subseqent visits, but that was not the case with Admiral. We're glad we finally tried it, after several summers of saying to ourselves, "A steakhouse? In Maine?" The menu is varied enough that we feel it warrants further explorations!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Damariscotta, Maine
“Don't be put off by the exterior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

OK - Maine is not known for steak but this place holds its own in the 'food category' -- its a good, solid, well prepared steak dinner. After months of seafood, its like butter on the tongue. Now, the outside is very, very seedy and the location in Bath, not very scenic -- but then I hope you are not going there for that! On the steak and meats front - this is the best in the region for that straightforward steak and potato fix and both locals and out of towner's share this locale.
Service is good but do make reservations if you can as it fills up.

Visited June 2013
Portland, Maine
“Strives to be best of breed but is really average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Situated in an old Napa Auto Parts building, this steakhouse strives to be 'fine dining' but strikes me as a weird blend of elegant and dumpy. The main dining room is decorated with rich wood paneling and gives the feel of luxury and warmth but the partially open kitchen and view of the bathroom door gives the feeling of Flo's diner. The food was average - I had the french onion soup and prime rib and my wife had the scallops. The french onion soup was definitely did not meet my expectations, and that is the one consistent item I try in most restaurants. The prime rib and scallops, and salad were very good. The bread was, unfortunately, just white bread so I did not partake. And there were no draft beers. I am not from Bath, so perhaps this place has a good reputation in Bath, but compared to other restaurants I've eaten in, this is not above average and I will not go out of my way to return.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brunswick, Maine
“Poor Service, Poor Menu, Cold Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I took my wife out to Admiral Steakhouse for her birthday thinking it was going to be a special dinner. We got a sitter for the evening and were exited to go.
We arrived and were promptly seated. The restaurant wasn't that busy for a Memorial Day Weekend. The ambiance and décor were attractive with a nautical theme. The waitress took our drink orders and came back a few minutes later. As we looked over the menu, we both remarked how pricy the dishes were but thought that they must be presented really well and we were going to splurge.

The waitress basically disappeared after taking our order. I was baffled that a Delmonico steak cost $30 and only came with one side. I ordered the mashed potatoes but would have wanted a salad or vegetable in addition.

We also ordered the bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer. The scallops came .... $12 for four scallops poorly presented...basically arranged in a square and the plate sprinkled with stale parsley. I had to flag the waitress down for another drink order. I was baffled as there were only two other couples in the restaurant.

Our meal and second round of drinks finally came. I also had to ask for more water. The meals were again poorly presented with a glop of mashed potatoes on a plate with the edges sprinkled with stale parsley.

The steak was cooked medium rare as I had expected but it was luke warm. Then I tried the sole side, the garlic mashed potatoes....I thought they would be special as the only side but I was wrong. They were COLD. Come on....$30 for a luke warm steak and cold mashed potatoes. I felt bad as it was my wifes birthday and I was trying to make the best of it. The waitress never came around again and asked us to refill our drinks (water or wine) even though there were only two other couples in the restaurant.

Then the icing on the cake was the fact that the waitress automatically added a 20% gratuity on the bill. Come on.....lame!!! Don't go here...not worth it!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Allison M, Manager at Admiral Steakhouse, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi There,

I am sorry your experience was not what you had hoped. I wanted to write to you because of the extenuating circumstances that happened the evening of your visit. In addition to the room that you were in we have a private back room for large parties or when we have busy nights. The evening you dined with us there was a party in the back room of 14 people. One of the members of that party had a stroke mid-meal and had to be taken out of the restaurant by EMS.

I am sorry that the server and manager on duty did not communicate that they were dealing with an emergency situation while you dined, but none the less that is what the distraction was during your visit.

I plan to address their communication effots with them but wanted to reach out to you so you know that is not how we operate on a standard night.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with additional questions or concerns.
Bath, Maine
“The Admiral Steakhouse, The Epitome Of Fine Steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

When one arrives in Bath, Maine, they will not find it difficult to find a restaurant. A traveler can experience all of their culinary desires, from Chinese to fine seafood to Burger King. But if one wants to have a truly memorable and delicious experience, they need to look no further than the Admiral Steakhouse in downtown Bath. From the time you walk in to the time you finish your last bite, the steakhouse will impress on all levels. You will not leave unsatisfied.
It was April 25th when I first went to the establishment. The bar was full, and my first impression was that it was a very crowded and noisy place, but I soon realized this was only because the local naval station was supporting a fundraiser there that night. The first sign that the experience was going to be good was an apology for the noisy crowd by the manager. I was then led into a back room where two other small groups were already seated. It was nice to get away from the noise, and shows that the managers care about the individual experience patrons have at their restaurant. It is also important to note the pride in the United States Navy that the Admiral Steakhouse showcases. There are many awards and commemorations for both ships and individuals on the walls.
The waitress who came to my table was friendly and personable, and not clingy like some can be. She too apologized for the crowd and explained the situation, and also told us it would be better to wait until the large crowds food was served before putting our order in so the kitchen didn’t rush our food and it could be cooked at a better pace. Quality was the main concern. She then laid out a warm loaf of sourdough bread, and I have to say it was delicious even though I usually do not prefer the taste of sourdough. It was some of the best pre-entrée bread that I have had the pleasure to enjoy. I decided against ordering an appetizer because I had seen the massive size of the steaks being served to other tables, and knew it would be better to save my appetite for the main course. However I can assume that the appetizers were also delectable because of the quality of everything else at the Admiral Steakhouse.
And it was a decision well made. I would never have finished the 16 ounce Delmonico with some of the richest Hollandaise sauce I have had in my life. The steak was a rare combination of smokey steakhouse flavor that also melted in your mouth. The level of tenderness was that of a steak usually reserved for the finest New York steakhouses. It was well seasoned and all of the ingredients seemed of high quality. The sides were also very enjoyable. The garlic smashed potatoes were delicious. There was another option of cheese gritz that my dad ordered, and that too was surprisingly good. It is hard to find gritz that tastes that good on this side of the Mason Dixon line, but the Admiral Steakhouse has done it. Every last bite of the steak was incredibly enjoyable, and it was defiantly more than just an average steakhouse.
For dessert, there was a wide option of cakes pies. I enjoyed a large slice of Boston cream cake, which was thick and rich. It defiantly did not taste like a store bought cake, and the coffee was also a very smooth blend. The Admiral Steakhouse is using good beans, and it is clear that they have a large emphasis on quality that is hard to find. Their chocolate cake also impresses, as they were rich but not bitter. They too are another good way to end the meal. In conclusion, you will find me back at the Admiral Steakhouse some day soon.

• Visited April 2013