“Not so relaxing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Bath

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bath
The Inn at Bath
Certificate of Excellence 2014
new york
“Not so relaxing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

As other reviews have mentioned the breakfast was tasty and the rooms well decorated and cleaned. We appreciated much less the disciplinarian approach of the owner who appears to run a tight ship with little room for personalized courtesy. In spite of suggesting we would be able to negotiate a later checkout, she knocked at our door at 11:08am requesting immediate check-out. Since we'd arrived at midnight the night before, and paid a premium for the room, we found the tone inappropriate and unfriendly, and would not return to this inn.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
innatbath, Innkeeper/Owner at The Inn at Bath, responded to this review, July 14, 2009
When this reservation was made 10 days earlier, the guests mentioned that they would like a later check-out. I said that we could determine whether that was possible when they were here; it would depend on the demands on housekeeping that day I made arrangements for a midnight check-in for them, but I did not write down that they wanted to have a later check-out, if possible. (I do think that thier arrival time was part of the problem. To them, they were only here from midnight until 11:00 am, so asking for more time seems reasonable. But I cannot put a minimum time used schedule on a room, or I would soon have a bookkeeping nightmare!) 10 days later, I did not remember that they had asked. My error, for sure. We were full, and turning over 6 of our 8 rooms for 6 new reservations that day arriving as early as 1:00 pm. They came to breakfast and returned to their room without mentioning a late checkout to me or my staff. I had a staff person ready to remake the room so I knocked and reminded them that check-out was at 11:00. Again, they did not remind me, they simply said that they needed more time. This has been a great lesson for me to write everything down; we are juggling way too many things to think we can remember them all. And I hope that in the future, guests will remind an innkeeper when they have made a special request. I am certainly sorry this occured, and hope that I've not soured their opinion of choosing a B & B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Arlington or Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

We spent a few nights here after Thanksgiving to recuperate and enjoy the holiday decorations in Bath. Loved our room with a view to the river and a fireplace. The breakfast was delicious and the room is large and sunny. There are two other rooms to sit and read. The common rooms were decorated and festive. Elizabeth, our very friendly innkeeper, suggested towns to visit, stores for shopping, and restaurants. All in all, I loved staying here so much I didn't want to leave.

• Liked — Rooms, both private and common, were beautiful.
  • Disliked — My spouse said his side of the bed was uncomfortable -- but my side was fine! Oh well.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

My husband and I did the inn thing for many years and then we tired of it. Too many cutesy places, too many converstations over breakfast about where you're from and what else you're doing, too many hovering innkeepers... we ultimately decided that we preferred our privacy traveling and went the hotel route. I'm so glad we gave it one more chance!

While visiting colleges in the Brunswick/Lewiston area we stayed at the Inn and Bath and loved it. Beautiful decor (antiquey but not country), wonderful breakfast (cornmeal pancakes with bluberries and of course, real Maine maple syrup, fruit salad, granola), and a bonus while we were there: a showing of a local fiber artist's creations. We were welcomed to the wine and cheese reception and had to opportunity to talk with the artist.

The innkeeper, Elizabeth Knowlton, was very helpful and just delightful. In her email confirmation she sent a list of things to do in the area along with suggestions of where to eat for both lunch and dinner. A nice touch in planning your trip. I only wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Woburn, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

We stayed at the inn for a late summer weekend getaway. We have stayed at many inns in the area and like to experience a different inn on each visit. The inn itself was lovely, as was our room, but not nearly as nice an experience as some others we've stayed in. There was nothing major to gripe about but there were some minor annoyances. The tv was so small that it was barely watchable from the bed, the water in the shower was lukewarm and the milk at breakfast one morning was starting to turn. All in all, we enjoyed our stay, and the the negatives would not preclude us from staying there again.

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kansas city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

A touch of elegance combined with some good, old fashioned down home hospitality.
Comfortable room with a hot tub, beautifully decorated dining and sitting areas, exquisite gardens and patio/porch areas and breakfasts of assorted fresh fruits, yogurt and fruit pancakes all made for an unforgettable stay. And that was just the Inn itsself.
Elizabeth was not only an exceptional Inn Keeper, but turned out also to be a travel agent, tourguide and restaurant expert as well. And if that wasn't enough, she and her sisters also threw in a little mother henning and made sure that we took extra clothes, bug spray, sunscreen, or whatever they thought we would need to have a more enjoyable time. Elizabeth even provided us with all the essentials for a picnic lunch when we went on our wild moose chase.
Elizabeth, her sisters and staff all helped to make our first, but not last, trip to Maine a very wonderful experience. We feel like we have definitely made some new friends.

Dan Stiles
Dan Frazier
Kansas City, Missouri

• Liked — Made you feel like family.
  • Disliked — Could have been less expensive, but you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

After you've stayed at the Inn at Bath B&B, you'll never want to stay at a hotel again. That's how my husband and I felt after we stayed there for 4 days. Bath is just breathtaking...but where you stay is important too. Not only is this cozy Inn absolutely gorgeous and a true historic home with exceptional timeless decor, but the food is delicious, the rooms are incredibly clean, the location is within walking distance to everything in Bath, AND the Innkeeper Elizabeth is the best guide for out-of-towners. Everything she recommended was dead on right, including restaurants, sights, activities and museums. We even got discounts to places, thanks to the Inn. Our first trip to Maine was even more unforgettable thanks to Elizabeth and her wonderfully unique Inn at Bath. Can't wait to visit again...thanks for the memories!!! [--]

• Liked — Friendly staff and owner, location, decor, price, wireless internet, food.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Annapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

We went to Bath to do some family research. My wife, not crazy about the focus of the vacation, threatened that "we must stay a nice place." Well I got good info on the ancestors, but I hit a homer with the IAB.

We've stayed in 75 B&B's and this one certainly ranks in our top ten.

Bath is a great little town to unwind and a good base of operations to see the southern half of the state. Safe, clean, comfortable, good eating, beautiful old homes, the Maritime Museum, etc. Not Vegas, for sure, but lots of good things for people who know how to entertain themselves with simpler pleasures (e.g. a terrific walking town).

Many in Bath are deeply involved in their tiny little city and our innkeeper, Elizabeth, was no exception. She possessed information about what to do both in Bath and the surrounding area; really good info on where and when to eat. More importantly she made us feel very comfortable in her home. And the breakfasts were wonderful (I had to ask if she had formal training).

Our Lavender Room was a delight. Not overly decorated, but with touches that made it both attractive (important to my wife) and livable (important to me).

Despite three days of ugly weather, we had a terrific time and wouldn't hesitate to return to the IAB.

PS The Patten Free Library is an incredible resource if you're doing Bath-area genealogy.

• Liked — The attention to detail
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Inn at Bath? Share your experiences!