“Good simple lodging” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Bangor
St. John's, Canada
“Good simple lodging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was our second visit to this property. The last time we stayed we had a ground floor room next to the entrance. It was noisy and we had a poor night's sleep. When I called to book this time I mentioned my last visit and asked for a quieter room. They put us on the third floor and it was much quieter. We stayed here for one night. The room was clean and comfortable but felt a bit cramped. The complimentary breakfast is standard fare; toast, muffins, cold ceral, make-your-own-waffles, cold hard boiled eggs, and breakfast sandwiches you can heat in the microwave. This is a good hotel for an overnight stay but I would not recommend for longer term.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor room next to the main entrance; very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris T, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Bangor, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fairfield Inn. I'm happy you enjoyed your visit. Please come back and visit us again, and thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. Sincerely, Chris Torrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

AVOID FAIRFIELD INN in BANGOR MAINE

READ ON FOR the worst travel experience of my life in every dimension. You would be better off sleeping in your car.

This is the first review I have ever written for a travel experience and it is hardly my style to complain. HOWEVER, this review needs to be written and posted.

1. FAIRFIELD INN BANGOR MAINE has earned an F report card for the worst travel experience of my life.

2. Find another hotel. If you stay there, see the room first, make sure it is not near the exit to the Interstate and Truck Noise that is unbelievable. You will be able to identify the engine manufacturer and rpm at which the vehicles shift gears as they accelerate on the ramp. I got no sleep that night.

3. Specifically asked the front desk at check in for a couple of quiet rooms as was extremely tired from driving all day. When advised the next morning of the serious problem where I got no sleep the prior night, face to face, Chris, the General Manager displayed an attitude that was a big SO WHAT, Who Cares. In my opinion, he should have been fired on the spot for this beyond comprehension inexcusable performance showing a complete lack of responsibility and empathy for a customer with a legitimate and serious complaint. The above is not what created the Marriott chain and is not reflective of their stated values.

4. The Marriott customer relations service PROCESS is also completely broken. Despite being a member of their rewards club for years, THEY had to go through the General Manager, CHRIS, the perpetrator in their unsuccessful effort to get the room price refunded. LAME and COMPLETELY BROKEN is the review. GRADE - Straight F. As a professional, I called customer relations not once but twice to make them aware of the worst travel experience of my life. Marriott's words are all there in their publications and check in materials. The problem is their actions are completely opposite to their unfulfilled, totally unmet promises. Should have refunded price of room for service that was effectively not provided and promises that were not kept. Marriott should be embarrassed by this complete breakdown of their services in nearly every dimension.

5. Had 10 hotels to choose from and Fairfield Inn was among the most expensive. Was traveling back from vacation and had driven 10 hours that day with another 6 hours to go the next day. Expected Marriott to live up to their promises. GOT NO SLEEP DUE TO THE TRUCK NOISE.

6. In short, no excuse exists for Marriott's horrific F performance and F ranking on almost all dimensions especially the "So What", INDIFFERENT ATTITUDE OF CHRIS, THE General Manager.

7. AVOID the Fairfield Inn Bangor is my advice based on personal experience of the worst travel experience of my life and perhaps the worst service operation experience I have ever encountered or run the risks of this worst travel experience on all dimensions which I directly experienced.

GRADE - STRAIGHT F - TOTAL FAIL.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chris T, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Bangor, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
We strive to provide guests with the best experience possible. Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit.

Concerning your feedback of our Marriott Customer Relations Service, I have met with a representative from Mr. Marriott's Office of Consumer Affairs to review your comments for future improvement. Marriott Customer Relations and the property work hand in hand to best resolve guest issues and the guest always coming first.

I would like to apologize for your perceived negative interaction with myself. This is not indicative of our standards, and will use your feedback as a benchmark for development.

We hope we have the opportunity to host you again.

Sincerely yours,
Simsbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Whenever I have the option to choose a Fairfield Inn, I like to stay there, and the Bangor Fairfield Inn lived up to my expectations. The room was comfortable and clean, with nice fresh linens. While I would agree with a previous reviewer who said that the breakfast was a little limited, even in comparison with other Fairfield Inns, the dining area was one of the nicest ones I've been in, and the landscaping outside helped make it feel less like we were at a hotel near the airport and more like we were at a resort relaxing. I would definitely stay here again if we return to the Bangor area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Bangor Fairfield Inn. I'm happy you enjoyed your visit. Please come back and visit us again, and thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

When on a budget this location is perfect....although not as new as the Hilton or Mariott the price difference makes this place a great choice. A big pool and a great breakfast make it a great spot for families. We have stayed here many many times and have never had an issue.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Happy to hear we are your favorite!!

Windham, Maine, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The room was clean, and the hotel was in a convenient location. It was what I would expect from a Marriott brand. Breakfast could be better, but it was free/included.... Sooo. Oh, and we had a coffee pot with coffee, but no cream and sugar to put in it. Otherwise, all good!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here one night on our way to Boston. The hotel is very close to the highway. It was a typical Fairfield, nicely decorated and extremely clean. We checked in just as a plate of warm cookies was placed on the counter. The kids were happy! The room was spacious and very quiet. There was no noise from the hallway either. We found the beds not quite as comfortable as other Farifields.
It's a large hotel so the breakfast room was packed in the morning and it was difficult to find a table for four. Also, while we didn't use the pool, we noticed it was extremely busy as well. The WIFI was an issue if you were sitting on the bed, it was definitely better when you were sitting at the desk.
If we were in Bangor again, we would not hesitate to stay here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Nice spot for a base or just a one night layover. Nice staff and clean hotel. Rooms have been lightly renovated in the last couple of years. It use to be a Marriot. The rooms are bright with new LCD TV's.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Reading "nice clean room" could not make us any happier!!!!!!

Chris Torrey

Been to Fairfield Inn Bangor? Share your experiences!