“A big disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Bangor
Michigan
“A big disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I booked this hotel for a business trip because it was close to the airport in Bangor. Upon checking in I was given a room on the second floor which usually is fine, but I soon discovered they did not have an elevator! I had hip surgery a few months previously but managed to slowly manipulate my luggage up the winding stairway. If someone has heavy bags or more than a few it would be a big problem. There was only one person at the desk and perhaps they could have called for help, but proper notice given on making the reservation would be advisable. I did not ask for a first floor room, but anyone with substantial luggage would be wise to do that.

I had two nights reserved and left for my meeting at 11:00 the next morning. I noticed the cleaning cart in the hallway when I left for the day. When I returned about 7:00PM that evening I was disappointed to find my room had not been serviced. The front desk reception gave me towels, coffee, and clean coffee cups but I faced full wastbaskets, an unmade bed and used towels. The receptionist said the housekeeping person left a note saying the dead bolt was set, but that was impossible as I was gone for the day.

The room did have a reclining chair so I decided to do my business reports while seated there. I moved the bed side table about 2 feet so it was near the chair for my paperwork, notes etc. To my disappointment I found dust thick enough to write a message on and other objects that had rolled under the table for obviously a long time! The rest of the room and bathroom seemed clean enough but that thick dust troubled me.

Another disappointment was that there was no breakfast included, I should have checked when scheduling, but have come accustomed to this level of lodging including some sort of morning breakfast.

I needed to print out my airplane boarding pass for the next day and was directed to a computer sitting alone on the second floor landing, there was no printer though so I had to go the the front desk for them to print my document.

The hotel is proud of their new swimming pool and indeed it is large and beautiful, local residents can use it for a fee. I was the only one using it the first morning and did enjoy the experience.

All in all with a choice in lodging I will not choose this establishment again, there are too many drawbacks there that probably won't be found in other hotels. I take responsibility for not asking about breakfast, that would have been nice, but the other problems strongly tip the scale not to return.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor if you have much luggage.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
ROTHESAY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Excellent location. Good rates. Restaurant is exceptional. Staff is accommodating. Rooms are well appointed. Property recently upgraded and it shows. Very nice. Truly a pet-friendly property, which is hard to find in most hotel chains.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Having spent several nights in the camper It was time for a shower & a real bed...Did not like the looks of the "8" & the Days Inn had a tour bus in & no vacancy...So defaulted to the nearby Ramada...Our room was dated & would have been OK... but... for the musty smell in the hallway... Opening ajar doors across the way... I found several un inhabitable rooms apparently undergoing (I hope) mold remediation from a faulty roof system...A long interior trek to the Ramada desk for a extra towel (provided) had one feeling like a rat in a maze... No breakfast provided, at this humble effort, so made do nicely, in the camper... This property, was the unfortunate low point of our Maine visit... carracar

Room Tip: Avoid the far rear wing...or alternatively, the entire property
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
st lucia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

stopped here, and the lobby was gross, the halls were gross, then the room was next to drilling and the air conditioner belted out some kind of disgusting smell, I quickly took my kids and left and told the front desk. They said they wouldnt charge me. Guess what they did! I called Ramada a week later and found out that I would need to call the hotel directly log distance to inquire abut this. I didn't bother. We drove to Augusta and stayed at an excellent Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: do not stay there
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dartmouth, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We ended a five day trip to Maine and New Hampshire staying at the Ramada Inn in Bangor before we drove home to Canada. The facilities were basic but clean and adequate, as we had expected. However, the two female members of staff we had contact with were unhelpful and seemed disinterested in us. Also, the hotel restaurant was closed and there was no complimentary breakfast. This came as a shock as the nightly rate is higher than other hotels of a similar class which do offer a complimentary breakfast to guests. We recommend the Days Inn in Bangor, which is cheaper than the Ramada, where the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was highly satisfactory.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Bangor? Share your experiences!