“Howard Johnson Bangor” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Bangor
Dayville, Connecticut
“Howard Johnson Bangor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Well we are at the location right now. After reading what others had to say, I thought I would add in:
Hallways smell like hell, by this I mean stale urine and mold
Heat in room doesn't work, good news is they have fixed this problem with a 10 dollar space heater from Walmart, that as a licensed Department of Public Safety electrical inspector looks
Ike a major fire hazard
Looks like they forgot to vacuum this room for the past (5) years maybe longer.....
Neither of the two smoke decectors look like they have power or batteries, safety first!
The electrical near the bed has not meet the electrical code in years, scary to say the least.
In the bathroom you are greeted by an electrical switch that does nothing near the door.
Lastly, front desk clerk was not friendly and hotel lobby smelled bad.
Almost forgot, the sheets on my bed don't fit and it keeps coming off and I don't really want to touch the bed!
My best advise would this : Run as fast as you can from this place, even if it is chain owned the crop rate office should make them shut the doors!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fredericton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I will never stay at this hotel again. The staff were very rude, the entryways werent shoveled, the heater in our room blew only cold air, over half of the outlets didn't work, the lamps would flicker even after they were turned off, the water pressure was very low which meant the shower would only trickle, and to top it all off our toilet was plugged and I called for someone to come fix it and I was told to come pick up the plunger at the front desk.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed a this hotel one night and it was one night too many, dirty, smelly with the rudest staff I have ever encountered with a hotel. The "Desk Clerk" screamed at me during check out about a complaint I had over a dirty blanket. She told me she didn't care, I was paying anyway to just leave, great customer service. Would never recommend this hotel to even a brothel...horrible is the only word to describe it.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed at the Howard Johnson Bangor at the begining of September, we just needed a cheap place to stay while we went on a girls shopping trip. We paid under $45 for each night, for the price. I truly believe in the saying " you get what you paid for" I wasn't expecting much for under $45 a night, so I mentally prepared myself for a stinky cheap motel stay, just somewhere to sleep. It really wasn't as bad as some of the reviews I have read. It was pretty clean and neat, we didn't find anything disgusting in our room. The bathroom was a fair size and there were no stains or mold. I do agree that they need an update, it look like they haven't had one since 1988. But if you're looking for just a cheap stay to spend more money shopping, it's really not a bad place. Great location, ok service, fairly clean.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
St. John's, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We spent one night there, worse night of our vacation, I was actually afraid to get under the covers it was so bad. Pillow cases looked as though they hadn't been washed so I imagine the sheets were the same(I didn't even look I was so grossed out), milk left in the fridge from who knows when, hairs in the bathtub and a hole in the wall where a vent should have been. Guess the mice didn't need to come in, they probably had better!! Oh yeah, and to top it all there was a condom in the drawer where normally you find the Bible!!!! One more night back in Bangor before we cross the border and it will NOT be at HOJO.

New Brunswick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This is my third stay.At $54 us a night I have few complaints.Room needed a dusting
but other then that the bathroom was clean,the bedding was clean,everything we needed
was in the room and the staff were friendly.Location is also good.Only thing lacking is free
breakfast but Tims is across the street and McDonalds is a 5 minute drive.As long as it
stays clean I will be back (remember it is a place to sleep,you are not buying the room).
Satisfied travelers from Moncton NB Canada.

Room Tip: Book ahead and get 20 percent off 2 nights stay.
Moncton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

This hotel was disgusting, hadn't been cleaned in awhile, rug and walls were filthy. Toilet did not flush, had to use a plunger for every flush, shower didn't drain. When room next doord took shower at same time there was no shower pressure at all and what came out was freezing. There was even hair in the bedding. We called a few times, spoke to 3 different people about the toilet, no one ever came. They didn't clean our room the next day, didn't even get fresh towels had to go to front desk and she told us to flag down a cleaning lady. Will never stay there again! Motel 6 was even cleaner than this....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Bangor? Share your experiences!