“Very Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Bangor
Aroostook County, Me
“Very Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I booked my room through one of those travel sites and got an excellent deal for the one night I was in town. My room was spotless and quiet, and the facility is safe, secure and well-lit. The Holiday Inn offers a wealth of amenities, which I appreciated. My only concern, and it is a minor one, is that the physical layout of the building is quite confusing. I could not have made my way from my room to the front desk without going outside if I tried.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We were visiting from NY and had a bad experience at the first hotel we had booked, we called this hotel and explained the situation and said we needed a last minute room that would accommodate a dog. Because of the issue with the other hotel, the person in the front took us to our room and let us inspect it (ie-Bed bugs). The staff was great, the room was beautiful, my son loved the pool, we had an easy walk to the back to take the dog out..our trip was saved!! I would stay here again b/c of the courtesy, convince and cleanliness!

It was strange waking up in a hotel on Easter Sunday, but this was a nice place to do so!!

Room Tip: If you have a dog, ask for a room in the back, easy access to the back parking lot area.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Marshalltown, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

If you want a cost effective option for a stay in bangor - this is not too bad. Has a shuttle to and from the airport. Internet did not work the night i stayed there. Rooms are ok but hotel has a dated look and feel to it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear TTZulu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bryant Pond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were here for two nights while attending an event at the Cross Center. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel is only about 5 minutes from the Center. The front desk staff were pleasant and, when a discrepancy was noticed on our bill, were quick to correct it. The bed (king size) was comfortable and there were plenty of clean pillows. A big plus is a window that actually opens! Should we find ourselves in Bangor again, this will be our first choice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights during a March Break shopping trip and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is next to I-95, but our room faced the central courtyard and was very quiet. The property is large, but is easy to navigate and has plenty of well-lit parking. Our room was spacious and very clean. Properties in Bangor tend to be more expensive than you'd expect, but the price here was reasonable, especially given the condition of other options. This hotel is also pet friendly. We'll be back!

Northern Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

In my opinion, when you assign your customers with a status as Holiday Inn has, you should assure that those customers assigned an "Elite" status are taken care of throughout their entire stay. This not only didn't happen at the Bangor Holiday Inn, any status recognition that could have been extended simply was not. Upon check-in the clerk at the desk not only neglected altogether to even mention the fact that I was a Platinum Elite guest, he seemed short with me and unwilling to assist me in any way. I asked him for a room on a "high floor". He replied, we have you on the second floor. I prefer to be on the top floor, especially when the hotel is full (as it was) of teenagers who tend to be rowdy and romp around the halls. What I didn't realize at that time was that the hotel has three floors. So, my request went ignored. He asked for my credit card, ran it through and then asked for my Government ID. I explained that my husband was still at work and would be arriving shortly after (he is the government employee) and he told me to have him stop by and show him the ID. That was it. I got the key and went up to my room which was situated right next to the elevator! WONDERFUL (sarcasm)! I can only imagine the noise that will cause all night as I'm trying to sleep. But I digress. Back to the "elite" recognition that didn't exist. My friend, who checked in right after I did, had to ask for a coupon. A coupon? Yes, a coupon! This was the "elite" status recognition they gave out. I asked for one as well since the clerk was getting her one anyway. Such recognition! A whopping 20% off in THEIR restaurant! How WONDERFUL (again, sarcasm)! Honestly I thought this was the pettiest recognition I have ever received from any hotel loyalty program ever. So, now to the room. It's small, the bathroom is tiny and honestly it could use a good vacuuming. I absolutely hate it when the rugs are filthy in hotels. This hotel is well used apparently, so much so that they have no time to vacuum. There is a microwave and a small fridge in the room. The microwave had difficulty popping a bag of popcorn and the fridge didn't get cold at all, even after I turned the temperature dial all the way to the coldest setting. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean and we were only staying for one night so at least that part was acceptable. My children enjoyed the pool. Now on to the coupon. Yes, we used the coupon in the restaurant for breakfast. They had a buffet that they were trying to push on us but my husband and I eat low carb and the foods on it were not conducive to that lifestyle. So, we opted to order off the menu. I was glad to see they offered a low-carb omelet. I ordered it but asked if I could change the Swiss cheese in it to cheddar as I didn't care much for Swiss. The waitress assured me that would be "no problem". My husband ordered the same. Of course, we received the omelets with Swiss cheese. They offered to take them back however we had an appointment to be somewhere else and had no more time to wait for them to prepare another omelet. So we ate the food we were given. The waitress did remove one of the omelets from the bill, and many apologies were given. I just feel that this type of thing happens too often and restaurants need to be more aware of how much it affects their business. Sorry is word used too much. Don't say you're sorry, just do it right the first time. After eating, my husband and I proceeded to the front desk to ask for a late checkout. I had an appointment and wanted to come back to freshen up and retrieve my family before moving on. The clerk at the desk, a female, told me that I could have a 1:00pm checkout. I asked if it would be possible to have a 2:00pm checkout and was told no. They were simply too busy. They had too many people coming in that evening. Sorry. I'm sure the look on my face displayed my disappointment with this. Not so much that they couldn't accommodate me, but it was the smug, impolite way the clerk treated me. It was like she took pleasure in ensuring my dissatisfaction. I went on my errand and my husband and children stayed behind. I had to hurry and got back at 12:45, just enough time to go to my room and quickly gather my belongings and family before the 1:00pm check out. When I placed my key card in the lock it flashed yellow and would not allow me to access my room. But it was only 12:45pm and I was given a 1:00pm checkout! Luckily my family was in the room so they let me in. Just for fun, I had my husband check the lock with his key card as well. Also yellow, no access. This was the final straw for me. I felt like this hotel not only didn't care about my satisfaction, they went out of their way to ensure I would never come back! They succeeded! I will never come back. I plan on taking my business to a hotel chain that appreciates me and wants me to be satisfied when I stay with them.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel altogether. There are several "new" build hotels in the area that of...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Joani B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dr Mr. Smith
I would like to apologize to you again. Our staff is currently in training on providing the new Elite Member Welcome. We have received wonderful new options for our Elite Members like you. I am sorry we failed to provide the recognition you deserve when you arrived.
I hope to see you again in the future.
Joani
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed here a couple nights with kids for a shopping trip. A few miles from the mall and most of the shopping as you have to go back out on the highway, but still only a few minutes. Rooms were nice, typical hotel room, fridge and microwave were nice though. Pool is a bit dated and hot tub wasn't working when we were there. Probably wouldn't pay full price for it, as we booked it on hotwire for around $75 a night. There is no continental breakfast, but kids do eat free with a paying adult. Great location for people that are flying from Bangor as it is close to airport. Airplane noise wasn't really an issue though. Hotel has a bit of a confusing layout, but otherwise not a bad hotel if you can get it for a good price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Joani B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Kris,
Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to share in such detail. I am sorry that the hot tub was offline during your stay. We have restored it and it is working great now. I hope you will choose to visit us again and have the opportunity to enjoy it. Again, thank you so much.

Been to Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road? Share your experiences!