“It's so bad it deserves no stars” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Charles Inn

You added The Charles Inn to your Saves list
The Charles Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Broad Street, Bangor, ME 04401 (Formerly The Phenix Inn)   |
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Bangor
Hartford, Connecticut
“It's so bad it deserves no stars”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I'll start with the good parts - the fixtures worked, the bathroom was clean, the linens were clean and we had no trouble getting a room. Oh and the TV worked. And so did the elevator. And we did have cereal and bagels for breakfast. The problems? It is an old, rundown, smelly fleabag of a hotel with furniture that has been knocked around since about 1950, smelly carpets in the hall, broken hall furniture, stained carpets in the room. And the WiFi doesn't work if you are at the end of the hall. The price was good, I'll agree with that, but the mattress was horrible - the thin kind with no box springs that means that you roll into the center of the bed all night. If you can sleep anywhere on anything, then I suppose this hotel is for you. Yes, it is right downtown, but we walked around to find that many of the restaurants were closing by 6pm. We found a couple that were open, but the "night life" was a bit pitiful. And then there is the issue of the construction. The city is working on Broad Street - at the front of the hotel. You can't see the hotel name from the street. Construction work begins at about 6AM. But I digress. We were standing in the back of the hotel and couldn't figure out how to get in - so we called the front desk and the clerk had to come let us in the BACK DOOR. And we had to leave via the same door. Trust me, you don't want to go in that way. It means an extra flight of stairs with suitcases. You can't drive up next to the front door. Ridiculous. If you are used to staying in reasonable hotels, do not be fooled by the 3 and 4 star reviews. They lie. The place needs to be completely renovated. It is not presentable, it is not up to the standards of even a poor Days Inn (or any comparable establishment). I found all of the info on the internet about this place to be false advertising. Stay elsewhere and drive into the downtown area - there is a new parking deck near the Charles Inn. Just park there.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My girlfriend have lived in Bangor, Me and now live in Texas and will shout from the highest mountain top that the Charles Inn is a very nice place to stay. When we have stayed there a couple times we did encounter a few problems but nothing that would warrant a very bad review. I for one have stayed at a few other places in our country and found them far worse. I can't understand why some people are so critical of one of the most historic places in Bangor., Please know that while it may be not as grand to some you must remember the staff have to listen to complaints and I have found when we stayed there that the staff were actually quite acceptable and the breakfast itself was actually nice. So in short, please stay at the Charles Inn. And to those who didn't think about how overworked the staff is then remember that like a lot of small businesses that cater to tourist it is nice to say thank you and be grateful that historic places like the Charles Inn is still open for us to stay in.

Room Tip: stay in one of the back rooms less noise and better tv reception
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels before but this one is the best one so far. The rates are very reasonable. Staying at the Charles Inn you are close to every thing in bangor. The staff are friendly and the building is unique. If you love art this is the place for you. I was surprised when I checked in, the furniture is an old English style setup and very cozy. 5 stars for The Charles Inn

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My brother and I came to Bangor to attend a concert and chose Charles Inn due to its convenient location. We checked into the hotel, put our luggage in our room, and left for the concert. When we returned, someone else had moved into our room, and our luggage was no where to be found. It's as if we opened up the wrong room...very strange. We immediately went downstairs, and apparently the housekeeper took our luggage and moved it into the broom closet so that others could move into our room. Come to find out, the receptionist gave us the wrong room key from the beginning and then gave other customers the same key while we were gone. This is by far the weirdest hotel experience I have had and the worst service imaginable. To make matters worse, there was a concert going on in their extremely small lobby that could be heard at least three floors up the hotel and it was midnight. Oh and the rooms were in TERRIBLE condition. Sloped beds, stains everywhere, awful smells, squeaky floors...it feels like you're going to get murdered there. We will never stay here again. If you're ever in Bangor, DO NOT stay at the Charles Inn...I promise you will regret it. To their credit, they did give us a full refund; however, we still had to drive all the way home at midnight...

• Stayed May 2014
Fredericton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

DO NOT stay here. We stayed at this hotel for a concert last labour day weekend. Dirty, old, and the pungent odour of pot being smoked across the hall was almost more than I could take. Risky neighbourhood and I was suprised our Canadian plated vehicle was in one piece the next morning. We were on the 3rd floor, on a saturday night, and we could hear the noise from the bar on the ground floor until well after 2am! Great location for concerts, but if you want safety, and cleanliness stay at the casino...

Room Tip: Don't stay here..that is my tip
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucksport, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I've stayed at big hotels...the Mandalay Bay, Mirage, Hyatts, and Sheratons. This one is one of my favorites. It's not a cookie-cutter building. It's old, artsy, and has character. The bar has 1st-rate beer, and sought-after spirits. Most of all, it's right in Downtown Bangor, and it's fun! If you want a generic hotel, go to one of the other places. If you want to explore, see music, drink real drinks. Go here,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Temecula
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Looking for an inexpensive one night stay in Bangor I chose the Charles Inn. Location in downtown Bangor was OK. I knew there was a problem when, upon arrival, there was no furniture in the lobby; the check in desk was piled high with folders and papers. 5 minutes to find our reservation. Rooms were on top (4th) floor, right above the bar which had live music until 1 am. On the up side the rooms were immaculate. I was surprised at the cleanliness of the rooms and the furnishings were very nice....old antiques. The rest of the hotel need a lot of work and cleaning....stained carpets in public areas and terrible odor in the elevator.

Room Tip: choose another hotel...I think we had the best rooms and I would not recommend
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Charles Inn? Share your experiences!