“Disappointed traveler, high price stay with no amenities.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway

Save Saved
You added Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway to your Saves list
Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Main Street, Bangor, ME 04401 (Formerly Hollywood Slots Hotel and Raceway)   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Bangor
Falmouth, Me
“Disappointed traveler, high price stay with no amenities.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I decided to stay at this hotel thinking it would be a lot like Monhegan Sun. The customer service was very good and the rooms are new and clean. However, terrible signs for navigating the garage to the hotel, no Valet, no Bell hop, no concierge and no room service. I understand the draw is the casino, but not everyone is in town to gamble and for the price in Bangor Maine on a Saturday night, they really need to turn it up a notch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Springfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the Casino hotel on our Eastern trip. We were very pleased with the comfort and appointments of the room. The attached parking garage has plenty of free spots. The staff were helpful and we got checked in and out easily. We had a nice corner room with rivew views out both windows. It is tremendous to have a non-smoking hotel AND casino. We went in to the casino since we could breath and that is different than Indiana casinos. The room decor seemed very new and probably is. It has a nice HD TV and many choices. There is food available on the edge of the casino and it is OK. I would return.

Room Tip: The corner room has great views of the river.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Apopka, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The front desk staff were courteous and informative. The hotel is very nice inside and out. The room was spacious and the bathroom was well appointed. The only two complaints I have are: the lights are too bright in the room and the water pressure on the 7th floor is weak. I don't gamble but my wife does, so it was nice for me to enjoy the room while my wife was downstairs enjoying the smoke-free casino.

Saint Cloud, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I are not big gamblers. We stayed here because it seemed to be the nicest, newest AND they were having a promo for great rate + $20 casino credit! We had a blast using the room credit then walking around using up the pennies credits left in machines. We walked away with $80!! :-) overall a great time! I loved the decor in the lobby - all the old movies and actor posters - very nice.

• Stayed January 2012
Punta Gorda, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

First comment, overpriced for what you get. Was expecting a four star place since it was connected with a casino. Three star at best. This was a one night stopover visiting Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. Could not get accomadations on Bar Harbor that met the needs of our party. Checkin was fast and friendly as we had prepaid our reservation via online service. On arrival I noticed an airline crew in uniform. Figured if they stayed at this place it must be great.

Room with a view was on the second floor. While it overlooked the river it also overlooked an asphalt plant. Beds were very comfortable. Bathrooms were small and for this type of property should have had seperate shower and tub. Coffee maker was broken and the room had no refrig.

We tried our luck at the casino and forget it. While not a pro I must agree with comments on other sites that this place has the worse payouts I have ever experienced. The only full service eating estaablishment on the property is the casino buffet.....Need I say more.

I am sure if you are looking for a place to stay in Bangor, you can do better for a lot less. THIS IS NOT A RESORT TYPE HOTEL/CASINO

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is a surprisingly upscale hotel. Very clean and professional looking. Front staff was very friendly. Beds very comfortable, bathrooms clean and toiletries where high end.
I did miss not having a makeup mirror though. Casino downstairs is very clean and a non smoking casino. Staff there were very friendly and helpful. A little disappointed there is no restaurant on site just a buffet and snack bar. The buffet was nice for lunch. Food was fresh and delicious. In nice weather you could walk to downtown Bangor, ME which had nice restaurants. We took a cab which cost $5.00 to downtown and ate at a very nice Italian Restaurant.

Room Tip: If you want a good view, ask for a river view.
Saint George, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I have been planning on staying at this hotel for some time. Since we usually travel with young kids and the fact that this hotel lacks a pool and/or lacks "kid friendly" activities was a reason we booked elsewhere in the past. Finally, we get a weekend away without the kids so we made our reservations. After some shopping in the area, we decided to spend the evening onsite, taking in the casino and the "Epic" buffet dinning room. The enclosed parking garage would be a positive amenity especially for those snowy/rainy days not to mention it is free. One thing about this property has going for it is that it is clean and the onsite casino is great selling feature for those looking to challenge the House for the jackpot. The bed was very comfortable with no issues. But outside of this, I can not say that we will run back to the hotel. In my opinion, for Bangor, it is overpriced. I can only assume that since we made our booking with an online wholesaler thus the reason for assigning us an ADA/Americans With Disabilities Act room (save the better rooms for the rack rate payers?) because we checked-in well before the majority of rooms would have been even assigned. Since it was an ADA room, the room was overly spacious and the bathroom lost some of the appeal found in other rooms since the counter space was reduced and the walls were covered with handles and an addition shower sprayer. Several deficiencies that we noticed: a lack of water pressure (I've stayed at many high rise hotels and this should not be an excuse) and limited control of A/C or fresh air. I was not impressed that check-in actually pre-charges $50 on your credit card “in case of incidentals” and then say that it may take up to 5 days for the refund to appear on your card. How about this? Charge me when I actually have incidentals!? The onsite buffet restaurant, just off the casino floor, was ok but for $17 per person, we expected more. The service was wonderful it was just that the food lacked variety and different flavors and we left with the impression that much of the food was pre-cooked. I think it is wonderful that Bangor has such a neat hotel (casino, downtown, adjacent to the Center), I just find that the price is set to high for the market leaving one to expect more than what they would typically get for a hotel found on the Odlin Road. Hollywood Slots Hotel is great spot to enjoy an onsite casino but if you’re looking for value and you’re not interested in gambling, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request a non-ADA room (if not needed)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway? Share your experiences!