“Great pasta!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Rothesay, Canada
“Great pasta!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently visited this great Italian restaurant located in the heart of downtown Bangor! Overall had a very good meal but the pasta was outstanding. The parpadelle with sausage in cream sauce in particular. The pasta portions were so big we had to bag most of our entres. Would highly recommend this place!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Boston
“Average food... nice decor, very good service...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have been to Massimo's twice. Each time I ate at the bar and the service and presentation were excellent.

The food.. is Just okay.. the bread they serve is wonderful, and they have a great selection of wine.. I ordered the lasagna on my last visit and was very disapointed... it tasted like something out of a can.. my kids would have loved it because it was just like Chef BoyRD, it was very sweet and I think the tomato sauce had a carrott puree base.. it was not good.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bangor, Maine
“Excellent Italian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm surprised by how many negative reviews there have been. This is probably the best restaurant in Bangor, in my opinion. I generally order one of the specials, which have always been fantastic. The pork belly is wonderful, as is the quail. My wife trends more toward the pasta dishes, and those have always been really good, as well.

This is miles and miles above what you'd get at a place like Olive Garden. I would highly recommend.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
bangor, ME
“Real Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Excellent, well prepared and fresh italian food. The pasta is wonderful (and must be made in house, it's THAT fresh), elegant sauces and friendly service.
This is genuine Italian Cuisine and people who enjoyed the more "Americanized" versions (ala Olive Gaeden, et al) may not enjoy the attention paid to the ingredients as much as I do.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
“Not a Fan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Recently I dined at Massimos. After reading some of the reviews, I was looking forward to a wonderful meal. I ordered the $9 spinach w portabello mushroom salad. It was very bland. I had to flag down my waitress to ask for some fresh ground pepper to give it some flavor. The bread was not what I expected (warm, crusty Italian bread). Instead, it was room temp and a little dry. The dipping oil was lackluster. Again, after tasting, I had to call my waitress and ask for some crushed red pepper. The lasagna was a disappointment. No ricotta or mozzarella. Since freshly grated cheese is not offered or available on the table, there was no way to jazz up the pasta. The sauce was unusual- it contained celery and carrots. Would not recommend this place.

• Visited June 2012