“Definitely worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

You added Ravenous Beastie to your Saves list
Ravenous Beastie
15 West Terrace, South Queensferry, Edinburgh, Scotland   |
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Having regularly stayed here over a long period of time, I am pleased to share my positive experiences of this delightful little hotel. Ideally placed for the marina where I work, and within easy reach of many of the key towns along the Firth of Forth it is always my place of choice when working or staying in the area.

The owner is, without question, a very pleasant host who seems incapable of taking time off from her responsibilities. It is this very attention to detail that makes every visit to the Beastie run like clockwork.

The rooms, the rates and the breakfasts can't be faulted in any way whatsoever. Having read some of the previous - less than complimentary - reviews, I feel that mine depicts a fairer assessment which has been gained over regular stays (some up to 4 months at a time) over the past 2 years. If the place had as many shortcomings as previous contributors have said, I would not return my business for as long as I have. I have also personally recommended this hotel to many of my colleagues and close friends, and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Room 3 overlooks the famous Forth Road and Rail bridges
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We visited South Queensferry for a wedding on 10th November 2011. The bride tirelessly found hotels and B&B's for her guests and one name popped out at us.... The Ravenous Beastie!
We booked the B&B back in July by phone and were told we would get an email confirming our booking..... I'm still waiting! This then meant I had to call Scotland again to ensure we were booked in!

We booked a family room (Room 2) for 3 people sharing. On arrival, we were to discover the room was on the top floor of the building. Access was by a very narrow staircase. Thankfully I didn't have a small child with me as there was no way you could carry a buggy up those stairs. At no time were we asked my sons age for the family room booking. It would be a good idea to address this, as it was far too dangerous to carry or walk a small child up those stairs!!

The room was spotless, but small things let it down!

*Windows were quite hazardous when opening
*Cracked tiles on the bathroom floor
*The chandelier was beautiful, but had a huge whole around it.
*The plug behind the bed was lose and had gaps around the sides
*The double bed, beautiful sleigh bed, creaked so much , you were scared to move in case you woke everyone up
*Stair rail outside room was so wobbly it wasn't safe!

The room had an amazing view, which is what we paid for. £80 per night was far too expensive.

The breakfast was amazing, bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, beans and haggis with toast........ but as a paying customer, I felt being told, breakfast is between 8am-9am to guarantee a table was ridiculous, especially as the board outside advertised all day breakfast!!! There were two tables that were being used as a office.... clear them away and 2 more tables for guests!!
Beware the plates can be hot!! My fingers stuck to the plate and instantly blistered! When I told the owner what had happened, she brushed it off as nothing and then proceeded to tell me about her burns.... not one apology for her mistake!

While having breakfast, the fire alarm went off..... the owner laughed , telling us, that sometimes happens when the dishwasher opens! She turned the alarm off.
The next morning we're in our room and the alarm went off.... we looked at each other and said... don't worry it's just the dishwasher!!!! We should have left the building, but we chose to stay cos of the explanation we had the day before! Madness!
On the morning we were leaving the owner kindly offered us breakfast ... we opted for toast, tea and a coffee.... we're still waiting for the tea and coffee!!

The heating was on, when we arrived and the morning we left.... it was cold in the rooms during the night.

OVERALL......We had our own key and entry into the building was separate from the owners, which allowed us to come and go as we wanted... a huge bonus......The owner was very accommodating but she let herself down in a few areas as listed. We so wanted this to be a wonderful b&b, but silly little things let it down. But the little things could so easily be addressed and this would be a wonderful b&b. Hasn't put me off wanting to return to South Queensferry.... so please RB please look into our complaints, which we believe could make you a top notch b&b!

BEWARE... parking is free on one side of the street but not the other!

Visit Edinburgh Castle and surrounding area... if you love architecture, this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Thank you for your comments , as all are welcome. Firstly I will reiterate my apology for the burn on your firnger as you obviuosdly did not hear me as I rushed to the first Aid box.
I am happy to advise that the mainteince for Room 2 , which occupied during your stay, has already been pre arranged for the plasrter to commence on 9 Dec 2012 to be followed by the painter and decorater.We are in the process of carrying out our annual winter maintence for wear and tear
Your comments about the King Size Sleigh bed are noted and will be addressed
Room 2 is the mosted requested bedroom for our regular return guests' and I can only apologies that you did not appreciate the view of both Forth Rail and Road Bridges and of course the River Forth
Myself and all of Ravenous Beastie staff will conitinue to strive to improve Rooms at Ravenous Beastie and our Tea room on daily bases.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I cannot fault ravenous beastie. This is my 3rd time. It is in South Queensferry - which is not far from the airport and just by the forth/ forth road bridge. My flight got in very early, (8.30) and the owner kindly let me into the room early. I had my key by 9.20 and was able to have a litte nap before the day began. When i returned in the evening the room was toasty warm even though it was very cold outside. I asked about seeing the fireworks and she also emailed me giving details of an event locally.
The room was very good value, and RB is in a great location especially when travelling alone as south queensferry is very picturesque and a safe area. There are nice bars, cafes and shops around, There are great views of the bridge to be had once outside. I always stay at the back so i havent had views of the bridge and couldnt comment about that. If that is important to you you can get to pay 3 times more over the road at orocco pier ( a trendy bar/hotel) and frankly it just isnt worth it. Once outside you have views and nice walks a plenty . The breakfast over looks the cobbled street. I have never had a bad nights sleep at RB - i have never heard creaky floorboards or drunken guests wandering around at 3 in the morning because it just isnt that kind of place.
Access into edinburgh is by regular bus, 43, £3.oo return going about every 15 mins, and there is a night service N43. It is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I booked this bed and breakfast not expecting too much as I normally only do hotels and four stars plus at that. We were attending a wedding in SQ and the hotel that was hosting it was full.

You check in through the cafe which also serves as your breakfast room. Our landlady took us up to our room at the top of the house - opened the door and WOW!

Five star accommodation at the top of a bistro! Every detail, from the way the towels were laid on the bed, to the toiletries in the bathroom was unbelievably and surprisingly perfect.

Moira, the owner was so welcoming and flexible - "Breakfast any time, you will be late home after the wedding, see you when I see you"

She served breakfast at almost midday, out on the terrace and it was fabulous. Will be back here. What a find!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We were one of two tables in this café yet still our food took an age to arrive.
The fruit pudding was missing from the veggie breakfast and we were only told that they'd run out when we asked why there were bits missing. Also, the three fruit juices never materialised despite us being charged the full price for breakfast.
Also, both the teas and the coffees were incredibly insipid (watering down one shot of espresso into a whole pot of coffee is unfathomably miserly and gives disgusting results!), something which we overheard other guests complaining about.
All in all, extremely disappointing - the next day we went to Picnic just down the road and it was much better!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear jongmasse
My sincere apologies for your bad experience in Ravenous Beastie. I work very hard to train all our staff the importance of attention to details, irreguardless of problems that are going on behind the scene, as happenied that morning with 2 breakfast staff members letting us down ( no longer with us) I am very disspapointed about your coffee/ tea as I go to great lengths bringing in the Coffee supplier trainers to train the staff and I am frequently reviewing our coffee quality.
I intend using your review as a training aid at our weekly staff meeting.
I hope that you will give us another try on your next trip to South Queensferry ( compliments of myself) with one of your friends as a gesture of goodwill and to allow you to experience Ravenous Beastie as you should hasve on your first visit

Kind regards

Moira Cuningham

Travelers are raving about these South Queensferry hotels

Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed overnight here recently when attending a wedding in South Queensferry. Very clean and comfortable room and really tasty breakfast made with good quality produce. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Very friendly welcome, helpful. My room was fine, comfy bed and i slept well. The breakfast was fantastic - home made pancakes with maple syrup. Very good value and I would definately return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Ravenous Beastie? Share your experiences!