“Avoid Saturday lunch!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Hawes Inn offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Avoid Saturday lunch!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have praised the menu, food, and service, but I would add Avoid Saturdays, when the restaurant is full with a few parties standing to await a table, and the staff severely over-taxed. They even managed to lose some dishes between kitchen and customer. Kitchen also harassed and muddled.
However, without being asked, they awarded us a 20% discount, which was much appreciated.
Weekdays still highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Downham Market, England, United Kingdom
“Hawes Inn - a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have stayed at the Hawes on serveral occassions and it is a must.!!!!
I originate from Musselburgh (about 20 miles from the Hawes) but I now live in Norfolk. As a treat for my husband I booked the Hawes as a suprise as he wanted a Taste of Scotland. and I have to say we were NOT DISAPOINTED!!!. Our room was enormous and the view second to none. The staff are so friendly, in particular the breakfast waitress (sorry I have forgetten your name) She is second generation working at the Hawes as her mother worked there before her. She is so cheerful and helpful. When we returned to the Hawes for our second visit, to my surprise she remembered us! this all adds to the charm of the Hawes. Great atmosphere, great food, and great staff. thanks to you all. cant wait to come home to Scotland and stay with you again.

Carol and John Smith
Downham Market
Norfolk

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The worst place I have ever been”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I have been to many a restruant but in all my time I have never waited so long to be served and to then to be served Luke warm food my wife's was cold the only upside was the children's food was warm.I passed many a takeaway restruant on the way to Hawes inn I should have gone in and got a Big Mac at least it would have been warm .

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food, 18th century attitude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I came to the hawes after a vigoursly exerting Saturday night together and as you can imagine by Sunday evening we were completely starving (even after the mild yellow sedative id taken en route). No complaints with the food it was 10 out of 10 would go as far to say excellent. What upset me was the attitude of the waitress when my girlfriend paid the bill. What century are we living in? If a female wants to pay the please hawes don't make a big deal about it !!!!! But keep up the excellent food , second to none in the area.

“Excellent food, 18th century attitude ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Travelers who viewed Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry also viewed

South Queensferry, Edinburgh

Been to Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.