“If only the kitchen service was faster the ratings would be higher” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry

Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry
7 Newhalls Rd, South Queensferry, Edinburgh EH30 9TA , Scotland
0845 11 26 001
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Hawes Inn offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Lothians
“If only the kitchen service was faster the ratings would be higher”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have eaten here fairly often for a number of years and find the food pretty good for the price. I have had 5* experiences and 3* experiences here so have opted for a 4* rating as a compromise.

I ate here when the charity abseil (mentioned in another review) took place and saw how good the staff were that day - when they were busy from first thing in the morning right through. Today the waitress was apologising constantly to the tables around me for the slow service - she was chasing up drinks and food all the time.

The serving staff are always very polite and friendly but it can take a long time to get both drinks and food once they are ordered. This must be down to staff numbers in the kitchen and serving behind the bar. More staff in both places would get through the orders being handed over more quickly - simple!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dublin
“Go to Orocco Pier instead!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

SHOCKING! Visit Thursday 24th October. Arrived around 12.45. 6 adults. 2 children. The restaurant was not particularly busy. Table service provided. Previously one would order at the bar and the food would be delivered to your table. simple. not now. this is the worst table service I have ever experienced. The waiter was nice but very slow. It it took at least 15 mins to take a drinks order. a further 20 mins to take our food order, by which time not all the drinks arrived yet! it took about 40 mins to get a pint of Best. DEHYDRATED! Somewhat far from best service. It was over an hour by the time we received our food, and it was not all served at the same time as requested. PATHETIC! and the food was nothing to rave about either. There did not seem to be any supervisor. I live in Dublin now and wanted to show some Irish friends this once amazing place. When I lived in Edinburgh I used to enjoy coming here for some cosy dining and efficient service. Never again. Whoever is running this establishment need to get their act together and hire more staff and train them properly. Orocco Pier is where you want to go for a 'normal' dining experience and the food is a million times tastier! I never really leave reviews but this was so bad i was determined to vent my disappointment.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Three night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We took advantage of the Autumn saver deal at £35 per night for a room including breakfast. The rooms were fantastic value - clean and comfortable. Towels were changed daily and beds made, despite the reduced rate. Room 12 was MASSIVE and would so easily accommodate a family of four, with room to spare. The one disappointment was breakfast. We came down to breakfast at 8.30am which was an hour before the end of serving, to find that the croissants had all gone one morning. This was a disappointment. However, there were muffins, fruit juice, ceral, bread (toast) and fruit available. We did eat twice in the inn and were not disappointed. Service was good, if not a little slow but we were in no hurry, and the food was fine. If it's top quality haute cuisine you are after, you will be disappointed but if it's an honest pub meal at reasonable cost, this is the place to go. I would rate the accommodation valus as excellent and the food as good.The saying, 'you get what you pay for' doesn't apply here as I feel we got more than we paid for... £210 for two rooms for three nights inc breakfast, free wi fi, clean towels daily and lots of hot water, not to mention the location.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lossiemouth,Scotland
“A lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We attended the Hawes inn whilst my wife was taking part in a charity event for Alzheimer's Scotland. They had given over the premises for registration and the starting point for the event. Literally hundreds of participants passed through the doors all throughout the day and all of the staff remained friendly and polite throughout. The food was lovely and good value and the view across the firth of forth are beautiful. Give it a try if you're passing.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Terrible service and poor childrens food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I went with my mum and my children aged 4 and 2. The restaurant was not busy in the least. We were informed that it was table service. We ordered two salads, a side order of chips and two children's pasta. Despite arriving at 1230 we were eventfully given our food at 1350! The children's pasta had clearly been standing about for a considerable amount if time before being served. And the tomato sauce was a few cherry tomatoes that had been mashed with a splash if cream. The garlicky bread had massive chunks of garlic on, which I don't think many children would it as it is just too strong. The chips we ordered never appeared and I had to cancel them half way through our meal and there was no apology forthcoming. I also had to go to the bar to get some water for my kids and there was no one at the bar and when someone did appear they took no notice of me for a few minutes. When I was served, I asked for two glasses of water, the bar maid put ice and lemon in the glass and I apologised and ask for no ice as my kids would only play with it. The woman threw the ice and lemon in the sink and huffed at me, put water in the glasses and thrust them at me saying, "There!" I was flabbergasted. We eat the remainder if our meals and left. When I paid the bill the same bar maid expected me to know how the business referred to different sections of the restaurant and was irked when I didn't know I had been sitting in the middle section. I will not be going back, which is a shame cause it used to be great.

Visited October 2013

Travelers who viewed Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry also viewed

South Queensferry, Edinburgh

Been to Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hawes Inn Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge South Queensferry, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.