“Great Historic & Wonderful Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nottoway Plantation Resort

Save Saved
You added Nottoway Plantation Resort to your Saves list
Nottoway Plantation Resort
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   31025 Louisiana Highway 1, White Castle, LA 70788-0160   |
Deland FL
“Great Historic & Wonderful Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Be prepared as you are driving to this Plantation that the surrounding areas are farm/ industrial towns that are not tourist friendly areas (nothing to see in town, but a nice country drive minus the factories processing sugar cane). The closest decent place to eat (outside) the Plantation is a great Wine/Bistro in Donaldsonville, about 25 min away, but worth the ride for lunch. So plan on eating at the Plantation, which has great food & drink, but ck out the Wine bar in Donaldsonville, and ck out city hall there.

You should be a history minded person, and love the grandeur of yesterdays charm & architecture to truly appreciate this Plantation. Nightlife is limited to the charm of the mansion, dining & grounds.

We were fortunate to be hear for the holidays & Dec. Xmas decorations & lights that are great to enjoy this time of year. Our room was outside the actual mansion, but were newer and very large, comfortable, and had beautiful furnishings and great beds!. Sitting on our rockers on the front porch sipping wine & enjoying our porch overlooking the pond, fountain, and beautiful grounds of the Plantation was wonderful.

(Comment: The grounds do have construction happening because of their expansion, but no workers were present when we were there, but you may want pick a weekend)

The rest. in the Mansion was great, food was very good!!!!!!! Did not try the cafe, but our breakfast was included in our room rate, and was a nice buffet.

With the exception of one of employee's, the bellman, all of the staff was great.

The tour was well worth it, and was included in the room rate. Did not use the pool area, to chilly during our stay, but was very nice area in itself. PS. Great place for a wedding, if you live LA.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Our room in the Boy's Wing was very comfortable and charming (#4), but like the reviewer before me, I agree the interior stairway certainly needs some major attention. In contrast, the room was very clean. We were not bothered by the separation of the wing from the main dwelling and knew it was customary in that period to separate males after about age 14 from the young women in the household.

Another area that was not clean was the front lawn. We were there on a Monday and there had been a wedding on Saturday. The chairs were still there and some were on their sides. Random wedding programs were wet and scattered on the lawn on walks. However, the grass and landscape was trimmed to perfection. Like our room vs. the interior staircase, it appeared one was well kept and the other was forgotten.

We were told at the desk that we could roam the main house, but the front door was locked and a woman giving a tour just inside, would not unlock for us. In the rain, we headed back from where we came and did find another door inside. We felt she could have let us in, especially due to weather conditions.

Breakfast was great; dinner was not. They were out of so many dishes and said it was due to the weekend crowd. We felt our shrimp was undercooked and sent it back. It was returned in the same state, so we assume the chef disagreed and did not plan to change it. We paid for it, but we didn't eat it. The waitresses in the restaurant were very nice though.

The staff at Nottoway has so much potential. A little briefing for guests at check-in would be helpful. Our first hour there was annoying. We couldn't work our locks, found our phone would not make a long distance calls and then had the problem entering the house. We were told of the drinks and early morning coffee available in the Cafe, only to find it locked and closed for remodel. How did the front desk miss this?

Our tour guide Tuesday morning, a retired history teacher, did an amazing job showing us around this fabulous house. The house is spectacular enough to make the idea of staying again, possible. I would recommend simply because Nottoway is an amazing architectural experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
neilcastaldi, General Manager at Nottoway Plantation Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2010
On behalf of my entire staff here at Nottoway I wish to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay. I have shared your comments with my entire staff and have already made some policy changes in regards to access to the main house and a better level of communication between shift changes with our front desk staff. On that particular weekend we had four weddings at our property, the last one late on Sunday night, and we failed to remove the ceremony chairs from our lawn in a timely manner as we normally do. The Executive Chef was aware of some of the menu items not available on Monday night due to a one day delay of our normal food delivery, and changes have also been made with that particular food vendor.

Again I appreciate your comments as they help us correct any problems and point us in the right direction to better serve our guests, as we continue to strive in making Nottoway a premiere destination.

Neil Castaldi
Antigua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I don't know where to start.

Stunning location, beautiful building, super-friendly staff, wonderful atmosphere.

This is a simply must do for everyone once in their lifetime.

Make sure y'all try the mint juleps ;oD

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

The main house has remained incredibly historically accurate with no changes at all to the structure since it was built. Some of the original closets were converted into modern bathrooms so no walls had to be added. I was a bit confused by a review that claimed it could be owned by Marriott, it looked nothing like a chain hotel. Beyond the main house no other historic buildings were saved, and much of the land contained by the original plantation was sold, but that is to be expected. Contemporary buildings have been constructed in order to accommodate more guests, but I don't think you can fault them for that. The other reviewer also mentioned the moonlight glistening off the river, but I find that hard to believe since the 20' levees were built in the 1920s-30s and you can't see the river from any of the plantations anymore. There weren't any lights at night that bothered me, they highlighted the house beautifully. The tour was great, and the guide was very knowledgeable. She was able to answer every question I asked. The museum was also a nice touch.

We stayed in the boy's wing and the room and bed were very comfortable with a great updated bathroom. I enjoyed the heater in the bathroom exhaust fan. The fact that a cocktail and tour was included in the room price is also unique to Nottoway. We stayed at Oak Alley, Woodland Plantation, and the Myrtles, this was by far the best.

The only confusion and disappointment we had was the fact that we were told that the restaurant was closed for dinner on Tuesday nights, so we stopped for fast food on our way only to discover the restaurant open anyway. Also, we received vouchers for breakfast that stated different hours than the sign outside the restaurant, which also conflicted with printed information we received at check-in. Hopefully, that is all straightened out by now.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

The minute we drove up and saw the House, I felt like I had come to a place where time stood still. We stayed in the Cottage 19 and I felt like a young girl staying at my Grandparents house. The front porch with rocking chairs brought back memories when I would rock myself. It was very peaceful and quiet. The only recommendation I would suggest would to have a small refrigerator in the room. And allow pets if possible given that the owners pick up after their pet's mess. I have a cocker-spaniel and hated to leave her back home. She would have loved running the grounds. Nottoway is a place where I could come and relax and let my troubles stay back home.
The food and service was excellent. The staff was very personable. From visiting with the Exec. Chef David to the waiters, hostess, it felt like family and everyone seemed to get along.
When it came time for us to leave, it was very difficult. I felt like we were leaving "home".

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

In March of 2010, four of us gals took a plantation tour through Louisiana and Mississippi. Nottoway was the top of our list. Two of us stayed at a 'pond cottage' which is new construction and very roomy. There were two beds and even a table with four chairs. The other two gals stayed in the 'Overseers House.' Their room had two beds also but our pond cottage became the 'party room' because of the size and table. We had dinner at the Nottoway restaurant. . .delicious! One gal said the shrimp and grits were the best she had ever had. I shared a steak with another gal and it was excellent. We loved the Nottoway house tour and everyone was just so friendly. Yes, we would definitely go back and spend two days there instead of just one night.
FYI, the plantation is not in New Orleans, it is in White Castle, LA which is a couple hours drive from New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
California, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

Wow, want to be made to feel insignificant? Try booking rooms months in advance at Nottoway Plantation (and also paying in full months in advance), and then getting the call two weeks before your trip that you need to moved to other rooms, due to a wedding taking place on the grounds that weekend.
Despite my very clear explanation of how many rooms and beds we would need, the arrangements had not been made by the time we arrived in the late afternoon for check-in. We were not in adjoining rooms, and we had to shuttle luggage back and forth after the roll-away bed was finally delivered.
The second night, the night of the wedding, we were stuck upstairs on a staircase while we awaited the bridal procession. Later that evening, and through the night, wedding guests, who were not staying at the inn, wandered the third floor of the building. They carried on loudly, and rattled doorknobs, as they spilled their beverages on the floors and walls of the historic mansion. When we spoke with staff the next morning, we were given excuses, and made to feel as if it was our fault for not calling someone. I spoke to an assistant manager on the phone about our issues when I got home, and again, was asked about our reasons for not tattling when the guests were wandering, rather than hearing an acknowledgment of their problem with not having locked doors or having had sufficient security on hand for the drunken nuptials. My letter to the hotel manager has not been answered. I think they were just so happy to have booked the wedding party, that they really don't care about a few ordinary guests.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
neilcastaldi, General Manager at Nottoway Plantation Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
I would like to have the opportunity to respond to your complaint posted on Trip Advisor and once again to truly apologize to you as I did in the phone call I received from you the day after your stay. As I mentioned in our telephone conversation we have a night security Manager on duty and it is their duties to patrol the Mansion and the grounds to insure our guests are safe and secure. In checking their logs at the time of your noise complaint, he was patrolling the grounds, but we also have in place a communication system which if you had called the front desk to complain of a disturbance, he would have received your call and will have immediately be at your door to take care whatever might have been bothering you.
Of course this would not have taken away the inconvenience you experienced as a result of some unruly guests, and again I apologize for your experience, as my front desk manager also did in one of your previous calls, as well as myself in another call. We do care for our guests and it is in fact the main reason for our continued success, as evident in the hundreds of letters and comments we receive.
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I also will like to inform you that I never received any letters from you as I would have immediately responded to it, as I am doing right now as soon as I read your comments.

Sincerely

Neil Castaldi
Nottoway Plantation

Been to Nottoway Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!