“HORRIBLE SERVICE AND RACIST!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles
100 Westlake Ave, Westlake, LA 70669   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Westlake
Houston, Texas
“HORRIBLE SERVICE AND RACIST!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was my first time going to a casino and was very excited, however, had a horrible experience at Isle of Capri. My boyfriend, who is 24, was excused of having a fake ID just because the ID was from another country!! We were waiting for about 20 minutes while the employee was looking through a book to see if she could find one like it, but nothing. I was very understanding at first because they have to follow policy. Then that employee called her supervisor. The supervisor came, looked at the ID, said no, then left. He never looked at us, didn't apologize, nor did he give us a reason why they were falsely accusing us of carrying a fake ID. I WAS VERY ANGRY!!! I drove from Houston, TX and reserved my hotel at Isle of Capri to find out they were not going to let us in. We left and decided to drive to COUSHATTA. They let us in with no problem!!! I WILL NEVER BE GOING TO ISLE OF CAPRI!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I am sorry for your recent experience at the Isle of Capri Casino Hotel. Our director of security has attempted to contact you on several occasions regarding this situation. Thus far, we have been unable to reach you. As a state-licensed Louisiana casino, we are under very strict guidelines on the forms of identification that we may accept to permit entry into the casino. These forms of identification include state-issued driver’s license displaying photograph, state issued identification card displaying photograph, United States or foreign government issued passports displaying photograph, official military identification displaying photograph or national or territorial issued identification card displaying photograph. We have a legal and moral responsibility to ensure that individuals under the age of 21 do not enter our casino. Since we have been unable to reach you, we have been unable to ascertain the type of identification that you may have presented to our security personnel. Additionally, if we mishandled this particular situation, we would appreciate following up with you on the details so that we may coach our team members. If you would like to discuss this matter further, you may contact our casino at (337) 430-2400 and ask to speak with our director of security. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you.

Isle of Capri Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Victoria, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My recent overnight stay on 7-31-12 was a wonderful experience. At first I was a little concerned about the rooms after reading some of the reviews. Management contacted me and assured me the rooms are being renovated and if I had any concerns upon arrival I was given a phone # to contact. Fortunately, there was no reason for concern. The Tower room where I stayed had not yet been renovated but was still a very clean/comfortable room. Also, so there would be no surprises, I was told ahead of time that the renovation noise would begin about 9:00 am and was asked if that would be problem-no problem for me as I am an early riser. Everything about my visit was exceptional from the reservation, check-in/out, housekeeping, and casino. EVERY employee I had contact with was friendly and seem willing to do whatever they could to make my stay enjoyable. I would highly recommend the Isle in Lake Charles even while the renovations are in progress.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

First let me say that they are in the middle of renovating their rooms. It is much needed and hopefully will help them improve overall.

The Casino is nice and well kept. Lot's of games to choose from and staff overall seemed pretty good. It was fun!

The security was pretty lax or so it seemed especially between the hotel and casino and not for a comfortable atmosphere late in the evening.

Pool was also in great need of some TLC. Overall the hotel had a pretty low end feeling overall. Staff was not very engaged and seemed not very concerned with making you feel welcome. No place to get a good cup of coffee and I am pretty sure no room service (they never answered the phone).

The location is good and if they were to invest in more updating and customer service training it could be a grea place again. But definately needs a lot of desire to change!

If your looking for a better casino/hotel experience I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
We have been busy the past year-and-a-half here at the Isle and are looking forward to completing our tower renovation by the end of the year. We think our guests will enjoy the new renovated rooms as much as they have enjoyed the fresh new look on the casino floor. I apologize that you did not feel the presence of our security personnel during your visit. In addition to our officers stationed throughout the casino, we have designated officers patrolling the perimeters of the parking lots, an officer assigned to bike patrol, as well as weekend off-duty officers from the Westlake Police Department, all of whom are dedicated to your well-being. If you ever feel unsafe on our premises, we would be more than happy to provide you with an escort to your room.

We have been told that we have the friendliest team members in Southwest Louisiana. I invite you to visit us again soon to experience some of our southern hospitality.

Vice President/General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Westlake hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We visit the Isle occasionally, and lately it has really improved. There are lots of the newest slots, plenty of comp cocktails, good atmosphere with friendly employees. The only con is that it is extremely smoky!!! The food in the buffet is wonderful, the rooms at the Inn are horrible and really need an update.

• Stayed July 2012
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. You started off your comments under the heading “FUN casino”. At the Isle of Capri, we really focus on trying to provide a clean, safe, friendly, and FUN entertainment experience. We believe that we have THE friendliest team members in Southwest Louisiana and have a relaxing atmosphere where you can really let yourself go and have a great time. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the buffet. We have really been working on preparing fresh foods including a fantastic selection of local Louisiana and regional cuisine. I am sorry that you thought that the casino was smoky. We have been upgrading our air conditioning and ventilation but it sounds like we still have some work to do. I am also sorry that you did not enjoy the rooms at the Inn. We completed a renovation at the Inn just three years ago and have received a number of positive comments on the new décor, color scheme, and furnishings. We recently started a renovation of the hotel tower rooms that we hope to complete by the end of the year. Please keep checking in with us as we always have a lot of things going on and a number of new things that we are working on!

VP/General Manager
New Iberia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised. The last night of our vacation and heading home we had to stay in the area for a business obligation the next morning. Our third floor tower room overlooking the lake offered a balcony with chairs, very comfy bed, separate sitting area, an truly remarkable bathroom with both a large walk in shower and a two person jacuzzi tub, more towels than any two people could use, etc. We very much enjoyed the buffet, wandered around the casino briefly. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Three TV's in the room although we spent little time watching. It is only 100 miles from home, but we will likely visit again when visiting family in the area or when traveling for business purposes. We have spent more for one night for a mediocre room in chain motels.

Room Tip: Opt for the tower for a few extra dollars if you want a great experience. Lake side offered a beaut...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words! Isle of Capri is situated on the banks of Lake Charles and we have a terrific view of the lake and the City of Lake Charles. Although we are already very proud of the size and cleanliness of our tower hotel rooms, we are currently in the process of renovating all 253 hotel rooms in the tower. All of the rooms, fixtures, finishes, carpet, and wall covering are being addressed. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the buffet. We recently hired a new chef to operate the buffet and we are very pleased with the terrific food that he and the culinary team are producing. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself and we hope to see you soon!

VP/General Manager
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Before LDL was open, I would stay here from time to time when I lived in LC for various reasons - with family, parties with friends...but this place has ran its course now. Needs major renovation in an area or two. I do like the tropical ambiance throughout though. I recall the rooms being decent and clean. However, it definitely is NOT Vegas!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Based on your email, I was unsure if you have visited recently. You are correct in that our property is 17 years old; however, over the last year, we have completed several renovation projects and have been updating the property.

Last year the casino underwent a complete renovation where we added new machines, reconfigured the casino floor, replaced carpet and chairs, and just recently installed a new computerized air control system to ensure our guests a comfortable atmosphere while they are gaming.

The entire property has been aesthetically improved and we have just undertaken a multimillion dollar project to upgrade our Tower hotel rooms and public lobby areas that we hope to complete by the end of the year.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My friend and I stayed here with the intentions of one night. We called last minute and got a room in the hotel that is attached to the casino. When we checked in we were extremely excited to see that our $89 got us a deluxe room, with a king bed, a huge bathroom, a sitting area and a Jacuzzi tub! We jumped around like little kids in a candy factory. The only downfall to the room was there was no fridge/microwave in the room. After spending the entire night and part of the next morning gambling we were comped an additional night. Id initially attempted to extend our stay by going to the reservation desk and asking but because it was the Easter weekend she told me they were already over booked and couldn’t extend our stay. So I walked back to the craps table we had been playing at for the past 8 hrs and asked the pit boss and within 30 minutes he had comped us an additional night in the same room we had been in. We at the dinner in the hotel and I had the best grilled cheese sandwich ever! We ate breakfast the following morning on our way out at the buffet. It was ok, much like all the other buffets at casinos. I can’t wait to go back to Lake Charles, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles? Share your experiences!