“Don't stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Westlake
Houston, Texas
“Don't stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

We reserved two rooms in the Inn (across from the Casino) at this property for $50/night each. When we arrived, they only had one of the reservations on the computer, but they did provide us with the second room because they were not at capacity.
The room was large, but the carpet and furnishings were outdated. The sheets were rough and the blanket was paper-thin. We pulled off the bed spread the second we entered the room, for it appeared disguisting. I did not want to touch it.
The room was directly across from the vending machines. The machines were loud and the walls paper thin (just like the sheets) and every soda can that dropped from the machine echoed through out the room.
Although there was staff at the front desk at the Inn when we arrived, there was no one there at 10 PM. If I had been traveling as a single woman, this would have concerned me greatly.
Overall, if the other hotels are booked when you wish to go gamble in Lake Charles, I would recommend changing your weekend before staying at this hotel and visiting a very mediocre casino.

• Liked — nothing.
  • Disliked — location next to chemical plant, plus everything I listed in review.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

Decided to treat our daughter on her 21st birthday by driving over from Houston and letting her learn the experience of gambling firsthand. As with many first-timers, her 'experience' was firmly in the red, but she had a great time. How do you lose $100 in penny slots? Ask my daughter.

Anyway, we chose Isle of Capris because it was close, available and reasonably priced, at least compared to their main in-town competition, Leberge du Luc. We paid about $150 per night for a Fri to Sunday stay. Had to call the property directly since there was no online booking, but the phone rep was nice enough and the reservation came through without a problem. Check-in was no picnic, since the line was long and there was only two check-in agents. Even so, our line moved faster than the VIP line. Sometimes it pays not to be VI. The booking agent said we had a suite in the Tower and even though I asked specifically if it was a 'real' suite (i.e., two rooms, not a single room with partial dividers) and was told it was, the room was indeed a large room with partial dividers. On the other hand, for the time we spent in the room, the two queen beds, two TVs, sectional couch and huge bathroom with Jacuzzi was perfectly adequate. My guess is the comped rooms may be a bit bigger, perhaps true suites. Hope you like green, since the tropical theme is pervasive throughout the resort. Nothing subtle about decor, but we took it in stride. Our second floor view, though facing the lake, was also overlooking some temporary buildings. On the positive side, there were no stairs to the casino, just a walk down the hall. Though both casinos were technically on boats, they haven't left the docks in years, so no sea legs required. The restaurants were so-so and a little expensive. Since you'll have a car, the shopping mall and a multitude of restaurants are only about 10-15 minutes away.

All in all it was a fun trip. Again, not Vegas, but certainly worth a 2.5 hour drive for a day or two, and considering the cash we dropped in the penny slots and at the tables, perhaps my next trip will be comped. Have fun!

• Liked — Room size, value.
  • Disliked — Color scheme.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Retired in Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2006

We booked out room mid Nov. for Dec 24-25 stay. The internet site led me to believe I was booking the hotel connected to the Casino--that is what I wanted. We arrived to check in, long wait, only one staff person checking in guests. Finally my turn arrives and the gal informs me that I'm booked over at other bldg. and I said why was that, she said, well you booked on the internet and thats what you get---if we have any rooms here it would be higher then what you were told. I said, no I was quoted 139.00 per nite and want to stay here, said well its only 57.00 per nite over there and thats where they put you. Rather then argue since man behind me was fuming from standing in line, I reluctlantly agreed to take the other side. That was a big mistake. The paper thin walls made for hearing talking and flushing toilets, the hallway traffic was extremely noisey and those people had no regard for other
guests. They advertise mint on your pillow--well not in the cheap seats which is where I felt I was put. I will never stay at the hotel again---I had reservations and a confirmation # since mid Nov. and I get stuck in the low end accommodations. I wanted to spend my holiday in a nice special place---I didn't get that, I do intend to write to the hotel manager and register my complaint.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Talk to live person, confirm where you will be staying and what you'll get for the Money
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Shreveport, LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

I will not stay at this place again! I have been twice in the past two years on business and had to stay at the Inn at the Isle both times bc the tower rooms that are connected to the casino are always full. When checking in, I seemed to be the only female staying there as it was abuzz with men in work coveralls who were drinking beer outside the lobby at 2:30 in the afternoon. Of course, my room wasn't ready yet so I came back at 5 and was told that there were no more nonsmoking rooms even though that is what I had confirmed. It took forever for the lady at the desk to figure out where to put me - especially since she kept ignoring me to answer the phone that kept ringing. Finally, another girl came to help her and they found me a nonsmoking room that was a different bed-type than what I had booked, but that was fine. As a female traveling alone, I was taken aback when one of the girls behind the desk announced my room number to the other one with a total stranger male standing right there. While I was checking in, I noticed two people who called or came by the front desk bc they had no tv remote in their room. Guess what - when I got to my room, no remote. I called as soon as I got in the room and they said they would try to find me one. Of course I never heard from them again. When I called again at 9:30 after dinner, they said they had a remote at the front desk that might work if I wanted to come get it (even though there were 2 employees at the front desk). I said forget it. The rooms are not particulary clean and you can hear EVERYTHING that is said or goes on in the hallway. This is not a place for light sleepers. This hotel is also in an isolated area. If you aren't there to gamble you will be bored. There are no other restaurants, gas stations, anything right around the casino/hotel. The people who work at this place are a joke. If I ever have another business meeting at the Isle, I will stay in the tower hotel or I will just go stay somewhere else.

Stayed September 2006
austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

The Inn across the street from the casino is a great deal, but you know why the minute you step into it. There is no staff at the front desk, so you have to do everything across the street (like check in, etc.) The main hotel was completely overwhelmed when we were there, so we waited 45 minutes to check in. The rooms were hot and the air conditioner didn't seem to be working properly and no one responded to our call (no maintenance at the Inn, either). The room wasn't exactly dirty, but it was dingy and old. Bed was old, shower head was pitiful, etc.

If all you want is a place to lay your head down at night, then this place is a great deal. If you want anything more, I suggest you pony up and spend the extra money to stay at the main hotel.

Stayed February 2006
san antonio, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the "Inn" accross the parking lot from the casino. Here is a tip, bring an umbrella because you have to walk under a Live Oak tree which is home to a million pigeons. The posted check-in times have no meaning. Every time we attempted to check in we were told to come back in an hour or so. Our room wasn't quite ready. After three trips to the front desk and our room still wasn't ready we told the desk clerk we were leaving and to cancel our room. Miracle of miracles the room was suddenly ready. When I turned the bed covers down the underside of the bedspread had a little holes burned into it from cigaretts. Charming. There were plenty of clean fresh towels in the bathroom. Too bad it hadn't been mopped. The tub was cleaned though. How can they clean the tub, stock the towels, and put out little toiletries but not mop the floor? I am not sure they cleaned the counter top either. You see, you get a little pink bird shaped soap to wash your hands with. Only the counter top had little pink marks on it. Like when you pick up the soap, use it and put it down. It leaves little pink soap marks. The casino was nice. Not Vegas by any means, but a very friendly staff. The buffet hours posted didn't mean anything either. The breakfast buffet was supposed to stay open until 11 am. We showed up at 9:50 am and were rudely told they were closed. It looked like they had shut down about 9 am. So we went upstairs to Tradewinds and had a choice of three items that they had left on their menu. I don't think we will return any time soon.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

I and my wife had to go to the Isle of Capri so that I could speak at a seminar. When I tried to look up the Hotel it wasn't even listed. Isle of Capri is only in the "attractions" section. I tried to look up its restaurants and did not find even the high end restaurant at the hotel listed. I did see that "Chuck E Cheese" is the 8th best "restaurant" in Lake Charels. Boy. In any event, we stayed in the tower hotel attached to the casino and had a large, clean and well-furnished room with a king size bed and a jacuzzi right next to the bed. The room was on a non-smoking floor and it seems that the policy is enforced because it smelled wonderful, which is not at all.
The restaurant, Farraday's, was lovely. and the food was beautifully prepared and presented and of the highest quality. There were several lower cost restaurants and a very nice buffet. We were comped a buffet. We had to pester two different pit bosses to get a comp to Farradays, however. We ate there twice, once on our own dime. Try the corn and crawfish chowder. The hotel itself appears to be well run and everything is brightly colored with a tropical motif. Like all casinos, there are some machines that pay and a lot that don't. The table games have slightly higher limits than some would like, but the whole thing was brightly lit and surprisingly lacking in that typical smoky casino environment.
There are actually two casino boats docked back to back so there are plenty of machines and tables. The hotel staff was pleasant and everything about our stay went off without a hitch. By the way, at $79.00 a night on a Thursday, compared to $359.00 at the L'Auberge, the value here is tremendous. Please put the Isle in the list of hotels. I don't think the Days Inn has a jacuzzi suite. Be advised, however, there is an adjoining motel-looking building called "Inn at the Isle". I did not go near that and can't give any other information about it.
I am going to speak at a similar seminar in Bossier City in June and I have already reserved my room at the Isle there. In any event, the tower at the Isle has to be included in the Lake Charles hotel reviews for that to have any credibility at all.

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles? Share your experiences!