“Wish I could live there.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: State Parks, Outdoors
Opelousas, Louisiana
5 attraction reviews
“Wish I could live there.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Six of us stayed there 3 days as a family outing. It was great. The cabin was spotless and very comfy. Loved it.

Visited March 2012

Luling, Louisiana
24 attraction reviews
“Park is wonderful, deluxe cabins are average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First of all, we aren't campers. I wish we were, but we aren't. With that in mind, we booked a deluxe cabin here in the beginning of Thanksgiving week to take advantage of the beautiful weather and give our kids a "camping" experience.

Here's what we liked: the park. Chicot State Park is beautiful. On our first night, we made a fire in the fire ring outside our cabin and roasted marshmallows, sang songs and had a great evening with our children. The next day, we rented canoes and headed out on the lake. It was breathtaking. Our family of five rented two canoes at $20 each for the day. We headed over to the arboretum and hiked one of the trails. That night we used the grill back at the cabin to make dinner and enjoyed our dinner around the campfire.

What we'd hoped we'd like more: the cabin. First some good points. The cabins are large with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. There are tons of windows with gorgeous views. I get that this is a cabin at a campground. I was prepared for it not to be a luxurious stay. There were a couple of things that I think could be improved on, however. The first night there was a blackout in our area. All the cabins went dark. We were out by the fire, so we didn't really care, but my husband called the number for maintenance that was supplied in the cabin to let them know. No answer. He called a couple of other numbers. No answer. He called the pager and left his number for a callback. No one ever called back. This blackout lasted for at least 2 hours and we never got any response to our calls. Also, the beds were incredibly uncomfortable. I slept in a dorm at LSU for years. I recently went to 4-H camp. Those beds were MUCH better than these beds in the deluxe cabins. My kids said the same about their beds. One remedy may be to bring your own linens for the beds. I think we would have been at least a little better off on our own sheets since the supplied sheets weren't very comfortable. My last complaint is about the sofas. They are in need of replacing. I covered them with blankets during our time there so we could sit on them.

In summary, the park is a great place to visit and we'd love to visit again. The cabins would be MUCH better with new mattresses. I know it's camping, but when you're paying at least $120/night to "camp" there, being able to sleep is a plus!

Visited November 2012
New Orleans
“Beautiful Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed in two of the lake front deluxe cabins with friends and were lucky to choose 2 on the water. The cabins are great, large enough to comfortably fit 8 with a great glassed in living room. The lake is also breathtaking and we hiked several of the trails, visited the arboretum, and rented a canoe. Visiting in the 'winter' is the perfect time to spend time outdoors in Louisiana and the park was not busy. Having stayed at several state parks in Louisiana, this is one of my favorites.

Visited November 2012
Tampa, Florida
8 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous Park!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I tent camped mid-week in October. I had an entire "loop" to myself. This looks like a campground that gets very busy during high season- so many amenities for families that have already been mentioned in other reviews.

Kayaking in the Cypress swamp was fabulous: gators, turtles, fish, birds. This looks like a prime fishing spot. Three places to launch.

The staff was friendly, bathrooms very well maintained, $1 bags of ice, great WiFi connection. Bring all your food as you won't want to leave this park to drive into town.

Very impressive park!

Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
32 attraction reviews
“Beautiful area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed overnite here and the area is really nice, sites are well spaced and some are level, vary woodsey and dusty with lots of trees and brush. Tight driving on twistey roads, one end of the park has flatter more level camping spots but not nearly as secluded, it also has newer shower/rest room buildings the woodsey end has the older "comfort facilities" but there still usable and not too smelly. Check in was the fastest easiest I have ever had a any state park. They have a bunch of cabins that look really nice from the outside and the lake looks good also, kinda swampy and similar to east texas. I would definatly stay here again and I can see no reason for not giving it 5 stars except I didn't get to check out any of the trails or do any paddeling so I won't give it 5 just yet.

Visited July 2012