“Oak Alley and Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Alley Plantation

You added Oak Alley Plantation to your Saves list
Oak Alley Plantation
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3645 Highway 18, Great River Raod, Vacherie, LA 70090   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Vacherie B&B and Inns
Morehead City, North Carolina
“Oak Alley and Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

My husband and I visited Oak Alley and absolutely loved it. Everyone there was wonderful and the house is just breathtaking. If you get to go make sure to take a camera as there are hundreds of photo opportunities. Also, be sure to try the restaurant there. We had breakfast, the crawfish omelette is wonderful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Staying on the grounds of the Oak Alley Planation was an awesome experience. We stayed in one of the cottages. They were decorated very beautifully and were very big and spacious. All of the staff were exceptionally cordial and friendly and we enjoyed talking to them very much. I recommend to anyone staying in that area to look at accommodations such as these. You can really get the feel of the south and how it must have felt during the l800's.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

At first, I didn't know if it would be worth driving all the way out to this plantation just to stay in a cottage, but it was a wonderful, unique experience. We stayed in cabin 5a and were the only guests on the grounds. We walked around the mansion, the garden and the unbelievable oak trees that were all lit up. Didn't see any ghosts. The room had a full fridge and microwave (no sink in the kitchen which was weird). For bkfst I had the crawfish omelette and my husband had the plantation omelette. Both were fantastic and probably a much better bkfst than you would get at a typical B&B. The internet access was fast. The only reason we didn't rate it 5 circles was because they didn't include a tour of the home for free or at least a discount with the stay.

Note: There isn't a lot nearby and the restaurant is not open for dinner. So, stop at a grocery store before you get here. We had to drive 30 min to Thibideaux to get some wine, cheese and crackers for dinner. There is a Piggly Wiggly closer but it closes at 7pm. Also, we brought our bikes to peddle around the grounds, but they aren't that big. It was a short bike ride.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I've always wanted to stay at Oak Alley, so I was really happy to finally get the chance a few weeks ago. We stayed in cottage 6, and because we arrived so late, we decided to have dinner arranged and left in our refrigerator, so we just heated it up in the microwave once we got there. The cottage was adorable and very spacious. My only complaint was the beds. I know all of the other reviews rave about the Temper Pedic beds, but I'm not a fan. I had never slept on one before, and it was just too hard for me, so I barely got any sleep. Just know that, if you are used to sleeping on softer mattresses. But the breakfast was good (especially the biscuits), and the service was great. Everyone was incredibly nice and helpful. Overall, it was a lovely experience, and I'd recommend it to anyone thinking about staying here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

My two children, age 8 and 6, and I stayed here on a end of summer trip. We had toured the plantation while staying in New Orleans 5 days before. My son wanted to stay somewhere that was reported to be haunted. It was between here and the Myrtles. We stayed in the old slave quarter house. We stayed in the one that is still the most authentic. It was amazing and extremely spacious. It is also so very peaceful there after the grounds close for the day. This plantation is absolutely breathtaking during the day but at night there are no words to describe it. My children were thrilled with the fact that they gave us flashlights to use to explore that night. We packed up a picnic supper and headed out. It was just awesome. To our knowledge there were no other people on the grounds so we had it all to ourselves. As we left our cabin all we could hear was the hooting of an owl and nothing else. It was really neat. We ate our picnic on the front porch of this grand house and discussed what the children and people would have probably been doing 200 years ago on this very spot. At any minute we just kept expecting a horse and carriage to come by or a southern belle come brushing by us with her big hoop skirt. It was like we had been teleported to another time and place. Truly a unique feeling and experience. We were entertained by a possum out strolling down the long oak alley and possibly even the lady of the home, Serena Roman herself. We did see a figure that appeared to be a lady in a long antebellum gown on the front porch, which thrilled my son as it was visible for quite some time and then gone as quickly as it had appeared. Awesome place, especially at night. My children and I are not scared of spooky things but we did sleep with a lamp or two on that night. This place is truly great and the food was outstanding. We will definitely be heading back here and it was a truly welcome relaxing night prior to heading home after a 8 day adventure that went from Texas to Mississippi with an 8 and 6 year old. I asked my kids what their favorite thing was during the week of high adventure, beaches and New Orleans, they both said staying the night at Oak Alley. So adults should absolutely love this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

Booked in here on the spur of the moment whilst driving from Memphis to New Orleans. Didn't arrive till after dark and were directed to Rene House, driving distance from the main plantation, which has 4 separate rooms and shared facilities - the bonus being we were the only people in the house! We had the Victorian Room which had a 4 poster bed and a jacuzzi in the bathroom. The darkness at night was total as we were in the middle of the cotton fields. The only drawback was that there are no restaurants within a 20 minute drive so we had to bring our own "picnic" although it was quite fun! In the morning we were woken at dawn by a bird and got up to watch the sun rise over the fields - I will never ever forget it.

The house had a guest book in the lounge which had been well used over the year and I thought this was a lovely touch.

Breakfast was ok - nothing special, but very welcome. We didn't tour the plantation as we already had plans to meet up with some other people at the Laura Plantation down the road, which was excellent.

Would recommend this place to anyone, just loved it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

My sister and I spent a night in Cabin 4. It was a wonderful, unique experience. (And I mean "unique" in a good way.) We arrived after the Plantation Home had closed, so we checked in at the ticket office. A woman from the office showed us to our cabin, then pointed out the things we needed to know, such as the flashlights available for after-dark strolls of the grounds. Our cabin was quite spacious, with a kitchen, two bedrooms, a dining room, living room and bath. Clean, clean, clean, comfortable and charming. I give an A+ for the beds. Very comfy.

Overnight guests are invited to pre-order dinner and just as promised, our entrees, desserts and mint juleps were waiting for us in the fridge, the food plated and waiting to be heated up. It was a delicious meal.

We went for an after-dinner walk around the grounds, which was so nice, because there were very few other people around. Next morning we had their delicious Plantation Breakfast, which is included with the room.

My only regret is that we hadn't booked two nights at Oak Alley.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Oak Alley Plantation? Share your experiences!