“The Best Nature Experience of our Lives (so far)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Bellavista

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Piedras Blancas
Finca Bellavista
You added Finca Bellavista to your Saves list
#1 Treehouse Lane | La Florida de Piedras Blancas, Piedras Blancas, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
All-inclusive packages!
Phoenix, AZ
“The Best Nature Experience of our Lives (so far)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Tidbits from our stay at Finca BellaVista:

The BEST nature experience I've had so far in my life!!!!! (husband agrees) The hike to our treehome was tougher than I imagined… but worth it. Everything is mind blowing beautiful…Way better than photos on the internet.

Base Camp is where we gathered for meals. Family style/ casual dining was cozy/comfortable. Food is typical Costa Rican fare, hearty, simple, and delicious. At dinner we met Mateo... We thought it was nice he made a point to come down for dinner and chat with us (even though he seemed tired from a tough day of work) Nice to spend so much time with Matt and Erica (the owners). We were already starting to feel like family with the young volunteers. We enjoyed meeting the other guests and listening to everyones' life stories.

We loved having the jungle to ourselves. We hiked and hiked and HIKED. It was such a feeling of accomplishment when we made it to the waterfall! It took a while with a 6-year-old! SO worth it. It was booming with energy!

We participated in a NIGHT-HIKE with Chico! It hadn’t rained that day so the critters weren’t out. Our son was such a trooper! He LOVED spotting spiders and other insects with his flashlight! Not scared at all! We saw HUGE crickets, spiders, stick bugs, butterflies, cicadas and bats.

By the second night, we noticed that it is surprisingly not scary sleeping so deep in the rainforest completely alone with no 'real' building protecting us. (in front of our bed is a huge opening with sheer fabric drapes) Definitely a feeling of being One-with-nature.

On the last day we did the FOODIE Garden Tour. Our son tried everything! We wandered deep into the jungle to dig up potatoes. Afterwards we made fried yuccas with Lizano Sauce. YUM!

This was such a magical and special experience for us. The best way to describe it was like "'Summer Camp' for the Family"/ We hope to return again soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is my third visit and first one alone traveling to Central American. Taking the bus for the first time so I didn't have to rent a car was smoother than expected. There is always a chance that when you drive here for the first time, you will perhaps get "sidetracked" or lost and not make your early evening itinerary. As a professional in Environmental Design, this place is a dream. The development, although I refrain from calling it that is so well executed that it doesn't appear planned or contrived but rather organic, adapted to the Eco-Systems, and consciously thought through. Every time I go, I explore something new, rather than try and do "everything" offered. This past visit I spend time in the river and saw blue prawns enjoying themselves. I also did a 'guided hiking tour' in steep ridge areas. I spent a total of 10 days there with a stop over to Mango Moon and a surf lesson on the way back. Try not to rush this place, it truly has more to offer than a just a quickie moon-lite adventure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Best. Place. Ever.

We just got back from a stay at the finca. We stayed in Mis Ojos, and I couldn't imagine a more magical place on this earth. The waterfall in the background (which put me to sleep the moment my head hit the pillow - which is saying something seeing as I'm a lifelong insomniac), the care of that was taken in the carpentry of the tree house (just the woodwork in the ceiling alone was a piece of art), the food was a DELIGHT (we were going to cook, and then had one of their meals and decided that there was no way we wanted to miss that), and the people. Just great people.

My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to spend some time with some owners over meals and on the zipline (a fun way to see the property I must say), and the energy, friendliness, and love that I found with everyone I talked to was beyond expectations.

Advice for planning: it really does take a full day to get down there from San Jose, so plan to stay somewhere in between, we tried to fly and make it in one afternoon and it DID NOT work.

If you are looking for an escape from the world, or just a glimpse into the magic of the jungle, you HAVE to stay here.

I already am daydreaming about a trip back :-)

Room Tip: Mis Ojos is by and far unbelievable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My trip to Finca Bellavista was incredible! I am a young woman and I traveled to the Finca by myself, but I never felt unsafe. The staff and volunteers were all incredibly friendly and helpful. I ended up switching rentals to a cheaper one near base camp so I could enjoy their company more (and so I wouldn't have to walk such a long way for meals). I was in Mis Ojos for my first night, but it was a long hike to camp and I didn't enjoy making it alone at night for dinner. So for the next three nights I stayed in Casa del Sol. it was the staff's idea for me to switch, which shows how accommodating they are. Both the treehouse and the cabina were beautiful, comfortable, and very clean. There really are no bugs to worry about, but it usually is humid. In addition, the current cook is from Hawaii and makes the most delicious meals I've ever eaten. I highly recommend heading to the community center for meals.

This was a great experience in a completely different type of setting than anywhere I've ever been. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, although I think it would have been more fun with family or as a couple. I'm lucky that I was comfortable hanging out with the staff, or else I may have gotten lonely on a 4-day stay here by myself.

Room Tip: Okay, there is no fitness center or swimming pool, but you can't beat a jungle hike or a river s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Out of this world. What a phantastic place. It is not easy re-entering this world after spending a bit of time there. Spectacular zip-lining. Is it expensive? YES! Is it worth it? Ohhh yes yes yes yes, DEFINITELY!

• Stayed July 2012
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I might be a little prejudiced, as I own a lot in FBV on the Rio Bellavista, but I just visited for the first time in almost two years, and couldn't have been more impressed with the progress. For a new and very special, out of this world adventure, you can't go wrong! With the most unique, and different, environment you'll likely ever experiance, each treehouse has it's own personality, for a one of a kind adventure, you will never forget!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any treehouse choice! All are one of a kind, and can't be replicated...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My sister and I stayed in Finca Bellavista 3 nights and 4 days. We stayed in Mis Ojos tree house which is next to the waterfall. The views there are speechless and there is so much to do. The treehouses are made beautifully and you can tell that a lot of work and love went into each one. We had to hike 1/2 a mile into base camp but it was worth it since we had such a great view and the hike took you through beautiful scenery. Everyone there was super nice and very knowledgeable about the plants and wildlife. Erica and Matt were so nice and ate with us and Erica even took us on a hike to the Point. The food was so good and most of it was from their own gardens. The staff makes it for you so it is delicious and filling. I definitely want to go back next year and will stay at Mis Ojos again. It was humid and we were sweating a lot but it's the rain forest so what do you expect. Each night we fell asleep with the waterfall and woke up with the great sounds of the jungle. We went swimming at the waterfall and zip lined though the jungle with some of the staff. No body was staying at the other treehouses so we were able to hike to each one and check them out. Mis Ojos is the best for a couple or a small group. We definitely checked off a few things from our bucket list by staying here and enjoyed every second of it. I have been bragging about this place to everyone because it is just so wonderful. So much to do there and I hope to go back next year and stay longer. Thank you so much Matt and Erica for sharing such a beautiful place with us.

Things to take:
Head lamp, it gets dark after dinner so you have to have a headlamp to see where your going
Long sock: they will have rain boots for you but you should have long socks so the boots don't rub your legs and cause rashes.
A good book: there is so much to do there but there are hammacs to just relax and read a book
Be prepared to do a lot of walking: the nearest tree house to base camp is about a 10 minute hike so just be prepared to walk a lot.
Bug Spray: Your in the rain forest so expect a lot of moths and beetles at night.
Camera: Make sure to have your camera on you all the time, there are many amazing animals to see.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Finca Bellavista? Share your experiences!