“Elegance with all the comforts of home!” 5 of 5 stars

The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   220 Travis Street, Shreveport, LA 71101   |
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Shreveport
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
“Elegance with all the comforts of home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

From the moment you arrive, you are greeted with a smile and will be quite impressed with the combination of old meets new. Everything down to the lamps appeared to be carefully chosen to give an elegant and deliberate feel of a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
My room was spacious and had many of the vintage/antique qualities you would expect from this hotel but it also combined all the luxuries of a new more modern hotel. The staff was courteous, informed, and professional and I will definitely be back. I have another conference in November and I already plan on making this my ONLY place to stay while in Shreveport.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify a room that includes a windows to see out. Although I loved my room I was slig...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed at the Remington Suites for two weeks in late June. What a charming hotel - old world, huge suites, extreme attention to details and decor. The staff was exceptional, especially Madeline Fegert. Madeline is polished, sociable, and totally dedicated to guest hospitality. Except for an unpleasant start due to my sensitivity to a "freshner" smell in my first room, I moved and enjoyed a very large one-bedroom apartment for the entire two weeks.

This is an old landmark building that is being restored floor by floor. The rooms/suites bear names of famous artists and painters. The amenities have been carefully chosen and there are nice touches everywhere - including a new decorative sticker placed on the role of toilet tissue every day. The bath soaps, lotions..... were some of the best I've used.

I travel often and stay in hotels all over the world. I know housekeeper tipping is on the way out, but I do like to leave an envelope at the desk for housekeepers who do excellent work. I was so pleased with the service here that I tipped them twice.

The only negative for me during my two-week stay was that the hotel does not have a restaurant, and downtown Shreveport on the weekends is a bit boring. Other than that, I had a great experience and will definitely choose The Remington should I find myself in that area again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We were visiting family in Northern La, on our way to more family in Texas. When planning my wife an I purposely scheduled in "just us time" for two nights in Shreveport as we had never visited there. Based on Trip Advisor recommendation, and price and proximity to casinos we booked here.

WOW! I will quote another review by PhilonousBatonRouge: " the Remington Suite Hotel features circa two dozen "themed" rooms, all of which have been redecorated to commemorate or otherwise recall one or another artist, poet, or cultural figure (folks like Homer, Monet, and Gainsborough)"....And in our case the Van Gogh suite. I have done a fair amount of travel for both pleasure and business. Though we are by no means any more than middle class economically, I am a little snobby when it comes to hotel rooms. Our suite was, in short..HUGE. It had a full sized and tastefully decorated (with some Van Gogh prints naturally) living room; with appropriate cushy full couch (which we presumed had a pull out bed), love seat and large, new HDTV. Near the bedroom entrance. it had a fully functioning wet bar, sink; full size refrigerator and microwave, and accompanying cabinetry with glasses, etc.

The bedroom, again very large; with what I would call a "California King" sized bed, with so much acreage I had to double check a few times to see if my wife was actually in bed. The mattress was firm, but not too firm and the sheets, pillows, spreads were high quality; befitting this type of suite. The bedroom had it's own Digital TV placed in a beautiful wood cabinet with drawers below. It also had a large closet; almost of the walk in variety with cushy robes for our use.

The bathroom, again very large with a separate jetted tub, which my wife luxuriated in and a stand-up shower.

Aside from the tasteful decor and the expansiveness of the suite, was the quality of the substantial doors and thick walls. Virtually no outside sound could be detected.

The lobby is a wonderful space in it's own right. It's a bit avant-garde and reminds you this was once a big warehouse that has been converted. Management offers a very nice complimentary continental breakfast with fresh pastries, bagels, and the famous southern Community Coffee is always available.

The staff was extremely helpful, cheerful and welcoming. My wife and I kept double checking our room rate. We paid $99 a night (plus tax of course, but noticed not near as high as other cities) for what may be the nicest suite we have ever had the pleasure to relax in. It was the kind of suite that Embassy Suites portends to offer, but; not like this. I have paid more to stay at one of our local Holiday Inn's.

Was it perfect? Well, close, but for balance: The suite's lighting, while giving a nice ambiance; is too dim at it's brightest, even with every beautiful lamp turned on. The bedroom TV was placed in an awkward position for bed viewing, on the right side of the bed. The bathroom tub and shower, while perfectly functioning, were obviously older, with spouts and hardware circa 1990. Then there is the neighborhood. It is obvious that the Shreveport downtown scene is not the most thriving. Let's say it was almost eerily quiet. That being said, it is walking distance to a couple of large casino hotels, and little longer walk takes you over the river bridge to Bossier City which boasts much nicer, newer hotel casinos and a long boardwalk of interesting shops and restaurants.

TIP: when staying here, it is a short three or four block walk to a wonderful restaurant and pub: The Blind Tiger. It has some nice reviews on Trip Advisor, and I may write one in the future myself.

Room Tip: Ask for the Van Gogh suite. Incredible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I traveled to Shreveport and stayed at this hotel based on the recommendation on Tripadvisor. Ouch, learned my lesson. While the staff is very friendly, you can't make up for age, decor and overall cleanliness of this hotel. Maybe it was just a bad day or I got the worst room, but the pics do not lie. Carpet was filthy and stained. I had to get on my knees to get under the shower head which was about to fall off. The shower floor was nasty. You will see in all the pics. Probably the biggest problem was the A/C. The vents are covered in mold and that vent blows right on the bed. I ended up sleeping on the floor. Yes, I pulled all the covers off the bed and made my own bed on the floor. Additionally, the bathroom was nasty. Hairs in the sink, on the counter, in the shower, etc. Just overall not a good experience. They have a lot of work to do. As someone who travels every week, this could rate as one of the overall worst places I have stayed. Sorry Remington.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

If there were ever an argument for upper-end urban renewal, the Remington Suite Hotel would surely be making it. Situated in the reviving heart of Shreveport's sometimes anemic business district, the Remington Suite installation is the only true boutique hotel not only downtown, but city-wide. Filling with taste and distinction a former hulk of an otherwise nondescript early-twentieth-century merchant venue, the Remington Suite Hotel features circa two dozen "themed" rooms, all of which have been redecorated to commemorate or otherwise recall one or another artist, poet, or cultural figure (folks like Homer, Monet, and Gainsborough). Although it is true that these interpretations are often fanciful and occasionally idiosyncratic, the overall artistic ambiance proves continually if subtly uplifting. Better, the rooms, by modern business hotel standards,are nothing short of enormous, often featuring separate conversation or office spaces and basic food facilities (refrigerators, sinks, counters). Those underestimated keys to the palace of guest happiness--the bathrooms--also evidence considerable generosity, both with respect to size and with respect to quality of fixtures.
In this constellation of virtues there are, admittedly, a few obscuring nebulae. As is the case in many hotels in America's warm, tropical regions, the hotel designers seem averse to bright light. Widely dispersed, heavily shaded, antique-style fixtures emit only weak amber beams that, sadly, underplay the otherwise excellent decor. The designers may have been a bit over-optimistic in thinking that decor alone would conceal the fact that a few of the rooms have no windows. The hotel staff, although friendly, courteous, witty, and energetic, needs supplementation. At some hours of the day, the one guy or gal at the front desk does everything, from check-in to valet parking to escorting guests to their rooms, with the result that the new arrival or querying guest encounters an "I'll be right back" sign and experiences a bit of a wait. The breakfast nook delights the eye, but the selection of food offerings is slightly below what one would expect for a hotel of this quality and is a little too predictable (yes, there are the standard bananas and apples alongside the usual bin of bagels and the somewhat diluted juices). On the other hand, there are more than a few surprising joys. During the second half of the day, for example, guests are greeted by fine, vaporized essential oil scents and also have access to an upper-end hair and mustache salon.
All in all, The Remington Suite Hotel indicates the future direction of Shreveport hospitality. It is a bright star on the occasionally asteroid-strewn downtown scene. Guests will enjoy a lovely and restful stay at a reasonable, often bargain price. I've even used this hotel to house nervous interviewees, and every last one of them went home calm!

Room Tip: A few of the rooms have no windows. These are among the best rooms, decor-wise, but do be sure, bef...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband and young son were moving from Florida to Texas and had a few stays along the way. This hotel was like a breath of fresh air. So much space, great rooms, great little pool. We really felt like we were being spoiled. It was great for the baby and dog we had traveling because of all the room to play. Highly recommend. Although we had no reason to visit Shreveport we may come back just for this hotel!

Stayed June 2014
Palestine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I absolutely LOVED our stay at The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa!! We stayed there on June 28th and 29th, 2014!! We have stayed at many hotels, both for pleasure and for business. We agree that this is by far the best hotel that we have ever stayed in! The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated! The King bed was very comfortable as well was the sitting area!! From the time we entered the lobby doors, we felt at home! ALL of the hotel staff were courteous and went out of their way to take care of ALL of their customers!! We will definitely be returning!! If you are in Louisiana......I recommend a stay at the Remington.....you won't be disappointed!!

Rickey and Jana Jones

• Stayed June 2014

Been to The Remington Suite Hotel and Spa Shreveport? Share your experiences!