“Nothing to look at but oh what Creole food.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 416 Restaurants in Shreveport
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
“Nothing to look at but oh what Creole food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Real layed back Creole. Only seats 30 at the most. Service is good. A beer and fish place. A must visit.

• Visited May 2013

OKC,Ok
“Genuine Southern Cusine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This place has been open since 1936 because of their wonderful southern recipes and hospitality! Was visiting Shreveport this week and found their reviews on Tripadvisor. I asked some of the locals how they felt about the place and each one gave glowing comments regarding the food. They did advise me the neighborhood had seen better days, but was safe during daylight hours. It took me a little while to locate it, although it is not far from the interstate at all. If you use GPS finding it will be much easier. I am a 61 year old southern boy... this place flashed me back to my youth in the early '60's! No reproductions here...everything is genuine Herby K memorabilia! Mostly Louisiana sports, but other interesting items as well. There are four booths & 8 or 10 stools at the counter in the original restaurant. He has added a patio with 3 or 4 picnic style tables for customers to dine on adjacent to the original restaurant. There are separate doors to enter each. Don't worry it does in fact all work out! The service was a pleasure, the owner not only greeted my wife and I but exchanged short stories with us about Oklahoma City (where we are from).
They have a wonderful and varied menu. We are big seafood fans and decided on Po'boy's. I had shrimp, my wife had oyster. We shared a side of home made authentic gumbo. Be advised a full size Herby K Po boy is a very generous serving! We each ordered the half order. After several minutes a nice bowl of gumbo was served. It was authentic and will not be what you may have eaten at Denny's during Mardi gra! That is not to say it wasn't good...just that it may not be what you are expecting! It was made with small shrimp, sausage, and beans with Cajun style seasoning. It was unique from any other style of gumbo I have eaten in my life, but was good none the less. We were half way through sampling the gumbo when our main event arrived. Two WONDERFUL Po boy sandwiches! There were plenty of shrimp on mine and lots of fried oysters on my wife's! Each cooked to perfection and served hot. The home made tartar sauce was excellent and complemented the seafood perfectly! Of course each had tomato's and lettuce, but the hoagie style roll almost stole the show! I inquired about it and was told while they no longer baked the bread there, it was made to an old family recipe by a local baker. They could probably make a mint just selling the rolls if they wished. It had a light hard crust on the outside, yet was soft, light, and very flavorful inside. The price was not cheap...but was very fair for seafood. I gave it a thumbs up & the wife did as well! Wonderful food...Wonderful experience!

Quinlan, Texas, United States
“Herby-K's is an experience you must try.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was born and raised in Shreveport. I remembering eating there when I was about 8 years old. I’ve lived in the Dallas area for over 30 years. I never miss a chance to eat there when I go to meet friends and family. You might hesitate when you drive through the area to get there. Be strong…. Everything is great. I read one comment that said the shrimp buster was bland. They must not have used the sauce that is served with it. The sauce is what makes it. And the gumbo is fantastic.

• Visited February 2013
Chicago
“My Kinda' Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night in Shreveport and asked a friend who grew up there where to go to get a genuine experience. Herby K's was the answer. This is the type of place that would only be known by locals if not for the Internet. Counter and booth seating inside and a small patio for outside. Real authentic Louisiana fare (oysters, po-boys, catfish, and gumbo) with their own Shrimp Buster as the specialty. I'd describe it as a shrimp schnitzel. Butterflied and pounded out then deep fried in a house breading - unique!

Nashville, Tennessee
“After golf meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

A group of us were in town for a wedding in Shreveport this weekend. We were told by several people who were from the area to eat at Herby K's. We were hungry and thirsty when we arrived.

We said outside on the patio which was nice. It was 70 and sunny. We got a round of beers, fried pickles and onion rings. The onion rings were so good we ordered a second round. Seasoned well and fresh made. They obviously are pro's at frying food.

The Shrimp Buster was recommended by several people. One of us got that, I got the shrimp Po-Boy and one got the gumbo. The Po-Boy was a lot better than the Shrimp Buster which seemed to be lacking the dressing and topping the Po-Boy had. The gumbo was fantastic with grilled bread.

I would recommend this spot if you want some good fried Louisiana seafood and cold beers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere