“Southern Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Shreveport
Metairie, Louisiana
“Southern Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We needed a little extra assistance during our stay and the staff, especially Emily, went out of her way to help us. The hotel was also bright and cheery and in the perfect location to everything in Shreveport!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Outstanding front desk/office people. Rooms were faultless. Like the fact that they launder all of the bed clothes. Impressed that they provide a full line of amenities including sewing kit and shower caps. Ample terry (towles) of a good weight. Excellently well managed. I worked in hotels for twenty-five years, including as General Manager of four of them. I would be proud to work at this property. Edmond Dergen (Trip Advisor pen name)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

SHREVEPORT, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I really love the place, the staff always help me out with issues or questions about the city. The facility is in great condition! The clienliness is also a great value of the hotel, plus is right next to the commercial area of the city, really love it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Now TA, before I give you my full review of this property I want to tell you this: I was fully prepared to give an overwhelmingly positive review of this property before the events that happened the Monday after my stay. If you look at any of my reviews you know that when I do a review I attempt to be fair with the property and the service received. Having said that, here's my review of my wife and I's stay at the hotel:

Our stay at Hampton Inn & Suites Shreveport-South began okay with check-in being a hassle-free and simple experience. I gave the desk worker my card and they authorized the amount for my room and incidentals. Little to my knowledge, this is the point in the trip where our stay was about to go downhill. The attendant then checked the pre-made room keys by last name and handed me the keys to our room.

We arrived in the room and were pleased with the overall layout. The room was spacious and had a huge desk space in the middle. There was a seating area off to one side and a large king size bed on the other with a nice assortment of pillows to choose from. The one TV in the room could swivel to be viewed from almost any space in the room. The bathroom had a nice selection of soaps and shampoos. They even included a makeup remover wipe (which my wife said comes in handy to remove makeup before going to bed).

As my wife was in the bathroom and I was searching the channels on the TV (They do have a full DIrectv lineup) I hear what I initially thought was a couple having trouble getting into the room next door. I ignored the noise but then went to the door to find another older couple was attempting to get into our room. Now TA, I've worked front desk before so I know how this mistake could have been easily made. I explained to the couple that they were likely checked into the same room as we were and they were friendly and apologetic and proceeded downstairs to get their correct room keys. This is the second point where the problems with my stay could have been corrected (The first being the initial handing out of the room keys). I called down to the front desk and alerted the clerk (new shift/new worker) of the error and that a couple was coming down to change their keys. This is the third point where the problems with my stay could have been corrected. After telling my wife about the mix up, she suggested we check our keys (her being the smarter one) to make sure that they still work, which they didn't. We proceeded to the front desk where the attendant CHECKED MY ID and proceeded to re-make the keys to the room we were staying in.

Now, our night at the hotel was fine. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom had enough hot water for the both of us to take comfortable showers. One concern my wife brought up was that the tub does have the tendency to get slippery when you use body wash (they may want to consider mats for the tubs).

After a great night's sleep I woke up and saw that they had slipped a receipt for express checkout under our door. This is where my stay started to go south again. This is the FOURTH point where the problems with my stay could have been completely corrected. I opened the receipt and instead of getting TravelDJ's receipt, let's just say I received MJ's information. So at this point I'm not really upset, but I just want to go to the front desk to gain some clarity, verify that I was on the correct rate, and to get my correct receipt. Now the clerk (the original one who checked me in) was nice enough, and I explained the situation I had with someone trying to enter my room. She verified this with the front desk log book and then said to me "your stay is on us." This was great news, and my wife and I proceeded to the breakfast. Now we really weren't too crazy about the selection so we just got fruit and juice and headed upstairs to pack and head home.

TA, at this point in my initial review of the property I was going to say: "This hotel made an honest mistake, owned up to their responsibility and displayed what #Hamptonality truly means." However, after I got home all of that changed. After a weekend of relative enjoyment I drove home, fell asleep, and woke up the next morning to go to work. As I check my account to see if the charges have fallen off, I see not only the initial authorization on my card for my room, but a new authorization from Hampton Inn totaling more than what I was supposed to pay in the first place. This was not acceptable and there was little urgency on the part of any of the reps at the hotel to correct this issue. It was at that point that I threw up my hands and decided to write this full review.

This is my summation of my stay:
This property took a relatively easy mistake to make and turned it into a reoccurring theme that kept haunting me even after I had returned from my vacation.
They had at least four opportunities to correct/prevent the error:
1. The first attendant should have matched the room I was checked into in the system with the keys she handed me.
2. The second attendant should have corrected the problem in the system when the couple came back downstairs to get new keys.
3. The same attendant should have corrected the problem in the system when I came to get new keys.
4. The original attendant should have corrected the problem in the system when I came down to have my receipt corrected.

So to wrap up, do I suggest you stay at this property: You can. I mean, the property is pretty nice and there is a chance that you'll have a flawless stay. But you have to ask yourself this question: "If I run into a relatively simple error during my stay, is the staff prepared to follow through and correct it so I don't end up like this guest?" To that all I can say is this, staff turns over from time to time and this property is a pretty good property for the price. Would I stay here again? No.

And just so that you'll know, if you happen to see a response from Guest Relations stating something along the lines of "In our review of this guest's complaints, we found that we went above and beyond to accommodate him including compensating his stay and offering to contact the bank to remove the charges" Ask yourself this question: Should there have even been a need for this property to do this? Read my reviews, I mean no malice. I just offer facts.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We have stayed at a few hotels in this area before and the Hampton was one of the best! Beautiful foyer and rooms and great deal for the money. If you're staying in the Broadmoor area, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Shreveport, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I have booked many rooms in the past for out of town family and the hotel is a great place for them to stay. The hotel is close to all of Shreveport's finest restaurants and shopping and other entertainment venues. And, my family and friends who have stayed there have always been very pleased with the accommodations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Hawkins, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

As one who suffers from Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune dehydration), one HUGE factor when staying in hotels - even the most expensive - is "air quality'. All others have a particular dryness to the air - especially after a shower. Hampton Inns doesn't! And so, I don't feel like I'm suffocating. Huge comfort level!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Shreveport-South? Share your experiences!